Re: ÈÝìá: [elfscript] Re: The Elvish word for brother

  • Hansel Varn
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 2, 2005
      Well I found these...
      brother Q toron, onóro S gwanur, gwador, muindor, tór
      brother (sworn) Q otorno
      brotherhood Q otornasse

      but I don't know which is what. I assume Q is Quenya
      and S Sindarin

      Does it matter? I am bad at languages(failed German
      oh so many times in high school) I am guessing that
      Quenya is what is most common and used by the elves of
      the LOTR trilogy. I may be wrong of course. Thanks
      for responding. If you know of any web resources that
      can clarify anything let me know. Thanks again.

      --- Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@...> wrote:

      > since you ask for a translation 'in elvish', that
      > means you haven't looked well enough :P
      >
      > anyway, question no 1: which language? Quenya or
      > Sindarin?
      >
      > question 2: what have you found so far and got you
      > confused? didn't you find any words at all?
      >
      > > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Varn aka
      > > BaQuar"
      > > <datastorm_usmc@y...> wrote:
      > > > I am looking for information on how to write the
      > > word brother in
      > > > elvish. I have been reading some of the
      > websites
      > > and my head is
      > > about
      > > > to explode from so much information. My brother
      > > and I want to get
      > > it
      > > > tattoed on our arms but want to make sure it is
      > > correct. Any help
      > > > would be appreciated email to my addy at yahoo
      > or
      > > hvarn@s...
      > > > thanks
      > >
      > > Actually BROTHERS FOREVER is what I'm looking
      > for...
      > >
      > > again any input assistance advice is great

      > ×ñçóéìïðïéåßôå Yahoo!;
      > ÂáñåèÞêáôå ôá åíï÷ëçôéêÜ ìçíýìáôá (spam); Ôï Yahoo!
      > Mail
      > äéáèÝôåé ôçí êáëýôåñç äõíáôÞ ðñïóôáóßá êáôÜ ôùí
      > åíï÷ëçôéêþí
      > ìçíõìÜôùí
      > http://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=gr

      > elfscript@...
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Mail
    • Patrick Wynne
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 3, 2005
        On Jul 2, 2005 Hansel Varn wrote, re various Quenya and
        Sindarin words for 'brother':

        > but I don't know which is what. I assume Q is Quenya
        > and S Sindarin
        >
        > Does it matter? I am bad at languages(failed German
        > oh so many times in high school) I am guessing that
        > Quenya is what is most common and used by the elves of
        > the LOTR trilogy. I may be wrong of course.

        I have to ask: why, if your interest in Tolkien's languages
        is so minimal, do you want to have "Brothers Forever"
        permanently embossed on your body _in Elvish_? I think
        the sentiment you and your brother want to express is
        touching, but why not express it in your native language?
        Wouldn't that be more meaningful and less faddish?

        </voice of reason>

        If you and your brother are determined to go with an Elvish
        inscription, the very latest (c. 1968) attested Quenya word
        for 'brother' found in Tolkien's published writings is _háno_
        (VT47:14, n. 22), which also had an affectionate form _hanno_
        (VT47:12). The Q. word for 'for ever' in the contemporary text
        _Cirion and Eorl_ is _tennoio_ (UT:305). So 'Brothers Forever'
        might be rendered in neo-Quenya as *_Hánor Tennoio_ or
        *_Hannor Tennoio_.

        I'll leave it to others more knowledgeabe to tell you how
        to render that in the standard _tengwar_ fonts (or to
        propose a rendering in neo-Sindarin).

        -- Patrick H. Wynne
      • Mel
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 3, 2005
          He *did* find some words - he sent them through. He wrote in asking
          for help. I didn't see anyone offer help, though. Just criticism.

          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Wynne <pwynne@g...> wrote:
          > On Jul 2, 2005 Hansel Varn wrote, re various Quenya and
          > Sindarin words for 'brother':
          >
          > > but I don't know which is what. I assume Q is Quenya
          > > and S Sindarin
          > >
          > > Does it matter? I am bad at languages(failed German
          > > oh so many times in high school) I am guessing that
          > > Quenya is what is most common and used by the elves of
          > > the LOTR trilogy. I may be wrong of course.
          >
          > I have to ask: why, if your interest in Tolkien's languages
          > is so minimal, do you want to have "Brothers Forever"
          > permanently embossed on your body _in Elvish_? I think
          > the sentiment you and your brother want to express is
          > touching, but why not express it in your native language?
          > Wouldn't that be more meaningful and less faddish?
          >
          > </voice of reason>
          >
          > If you and your brother are determined to go with an Elvish
          > inscription, the very latest (c. 1968) attested Quenya word
          > for 'brother' found in Tolkien's published writings is _háno_
          > (VT47:14, n. 22), which also had an affectionate form _hanno_
          > (VT47:12). The Q. word for 'for ever' in the contemporary text
          > _Cirion and Eorl_ is _tennoio_ (UT:305). So 'Brothers Forever'
          > might be rendered in neo-Quenya as *_Hánor Tennoio_ or
          > *_Hannor Tennoio_.
          >
          > I'll leave it to others more knowledgeabe to tell you how
          > to render that in the standard _tengwar_ fonts (or to
          > propose a rendering in neo-Sindarin).
          >
          > -- Patrick H. Wynne
        • Patrick Wynne
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 3, 2005
            On Jul 3, 2005, at 11:28 AM, Mel wrote:

            > He *did* find some words - he sent them through. He wrote in asking
            > for help. I didn't see anyone offer help, though. Just criticism.

            You "didn't see anyone offer help"? Wow, did you even read my
            message? In your haste to snark at me you apparently overlooked
            the fact that I provided Hansel with a proposed translation of the
            phrase he's interested in -- which nobody else has done thus far,
            and that includes YOU, Mel. I'd say that providing Hansel with what
            he asked for qualifies as "offering help", not "just criticism". Jeez.

            Yes, I know that Hansel did find some words. I read his post, remember?
            But the forms he cited were all from the _Etymologies_ (c. 1937) and
            predate _The Lord of the Rings_. The forms I cited are much later (c.
            1968)
            and very probably replaced the forms derived from the base TOR-
            'brother'
            in the _Etymologies_. Silly me, I thought that maybe Mr. Varn might be
            interested in having his tattoo inscription be as accurate as possible.

            -- Patrick H. Wynne

          • Hansel Varn
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 3, 2005
              Wow, thanks for all the help folks this is a good
              start, and I have begun my research. Let me explain
              to those that think this is some whim of fadish
              expression. My friend and I are from completely
              opposite worlds practically, both racially,
              educationally, age, life experience etc. Yet we are
              as close as people can be. He is the Godfather to my
              two children and more importantly we both love LOTR,
              both film and books. I haven't read the books since I
              was 12(I m now 33) and since the films have rekindled
              my foundness I have started doing more reading into
              the works. I don't want anyone to think I'm some lazy
              fair weather fan that just didn't want to do the work.
              Believe me I'm reading a lot. I have recently been
              promoted to manager and lately haven't had much time
              on my hands hence the request. Hope this helps those
              who may wonder why? Thanks again for everyone's help,
              comments and even criticizms.
              --- Patrick Wynne <pwynne@...> wrote:

              > On Jul 3, 2005, at 11:28 AM, Mel wrote:
              >
              > > He *did* find some words - he sent them through.
              > He wrote in asking
              > > for help. I didn't see anyone offer help, though.
              > Just criticism.
              >
              > You "didn't see anyone offer help"? Wow, did you
              > even read my
              > message? In your haste to snark at me you apparently
              > overlooked
              > the fact that I provided Hansel with a proposed
              > translation of the
              > phrase he's interested in -- which nobody else has
              > done thus far,
              > and that includes YOU, Mel. I'd say that providing
              > Hansel with what
              > he asked for qualifies as "offering help", not "just
              > criticism". Jeez.
              >
              > Yes, I know that Hansel did find some words. I read
              > his post, remember?
              > But the forms he cited were all from the
              > _Etymologies_ (c. 1937) and
              > predate _The Lord of the Rings_. The forms I cited
              > are much later (c.
              > 1968)
              > and very probably replaced the forms derived from
              > the base TOR-
              > 'brother'
              > in the _Etymologies_. Silly me, I thought that maybe
              > Mr. Varn might be
              > interested in having his tattoo inscription be as
              > accurate as possible.
              >
              > -- Patrick H. Wynne

              > removed]

              Yahoo! Sports
              http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
                That's sweet.

                Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
                better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
                tend to be against this policy, since there is no
                'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
                to say, and the language is ONE entity.

                > Wow, thanks for all the help folks this is a good
                > start, and I have begun my research. Let me explain
                > to those that think this is some whim of fadish
                > expression. My friend and I are from completely
                > opposite worlds practically, both racially,
                > educationally, age, life experience etc. Yet we are
                > as close as people can be. He is the Godfather to
                > my
                > two children and more importantly we both love LOTR,
                > both film and books. I haven't read the books since
                > was 12(I m now 33) and since the films have
                > rekindled
                > my foundness I have started doing more reading into
                > the works. I don't want anyone to think I'm some
                > lazy
                > fair weather fan that just didn't want to do the
                > work.
                > Believe me I'm reading a lot. I have recently been
                > promoted to manager and lately haven't had much time
                > on my hands hence the request. Hope this helps
                > those
                > who may wonder why? Thanks again for everyone's
                > help,
                > comments and even criticizms.

                Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
                  > Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
                  > better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
                  > tend to be against this policy, since there is no
                  > 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
                  > to say, and the language is ONE entity.

                  Ehm, he's Patrick, not Peter...

                  But, well, according to *my personal meaning about and understanding*
                  the VT47, page 34, note 51, Pengolodh's thoughts, I think that the
                  new names given there for sister and brother are 1) more associated
                  with the play and 2) connected to a blood-relationship of relatives.
                  Thus the words _toron, otorno_ (LR:394, entry TOR-) for 'sworn
                  brother, associate' can be considered as well, being another
                  expressions for 'brother' bearing a slightly different meaning. This
                  is seen in every single living language, isn't it.. But it isn't but
                  my impression of all the stuff around.

                  Lucy
                • Patrick Wynne
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
                    On Jul 4, 2005, at 2:11 AM, Gildor Inglorion wrote:

                    > Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
                    > better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
                    > tend to be against this policy, since there is no
                    > 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
                    > to say, and the language is ONE entity.

                    For starters, the name is Patrick, not Peter! Hmm, then
                    again, maybe I should go with the latter: "and on this
                    Rock I will build my School of Tolkienian Linguistics..."
                    ;-)

                    "Later" is not, of course, "better" in Tolkienian linguistics,
                    "later" is merely "later" (I personaly find ALL the external
                    chronological stages of Tolkien's languages of great
                    interest). Yes, Q(u)enya is "one entity" in that Tolkien's
                    writings from 1915 until his death show a constantly
                    changing and evolving _continuum_ of concepts --
                    but this of course does not mean that the later stages
                    of that continuum do not exhibit features drastically
                    different from the earlier stages. And when somebody
                    wishes to compose an inscription in the style of Quenya
                    as seen in _The Lord of the Rings_ (as is presumably
                    the case with Mr. Varn), they would do well to bypass
                    forms pre-dating LotR in favor of forms post-dating it,
                    as the latter are more likely to be in stylistic accord with
                    the published text. Similarly, somebody desiring to
                    compose an inscription in the style of Qenya as seen
                    in _The Book of Lost Tales_ would be wise to derive
                    their vocabulary from the contemporary Qenya Lexicon
                    rather than from the _Etymologies_ or _Quendi and
                    Eldar_.

                    -- Patrick H. Wynne

                  • Melroch 'Aestan
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
                      Patrick Wynne skrev:

                      > For starters, the name is Patrick, not Peter! Hmm, then
                      > again, maybe I should go with the latter: "and on this
                      > Rock I will build my School of Tolkienian Linguistics..."
                      > ;-)

                      Aldormon or Clifmon swa gifð þé mæst Wynne! ;-)

                      --

                      /BP 8^)>
                      A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
                        > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
                        > > better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
                        > > tend to be against this policy, since there is no
                        > > 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
                        > > to say, and the language is ONE entity.
                        >
                        > Ehm, he's Patrick, not Peter...
                        >
                        > But, well, according to *my personal meaning about and understanding*
                        > the VT47, page 34, note 51, Pengolodh's thoughts, I think that the
                        > new names given there for sister and brother are 1) more associated
                        > with the play and 2) connected to a blood-relationship of relatives.
                        > Thus the words _toron, otorno_ (LR:394, entry TOR-) for 'sworn
                        > brother, associate' can be considered as well, being another
                        > expressions for 'brother' bearing a slightly different meaning. This
                        > is seen in every single living language, isn't it.. But it isn't but
                        > my impression of all the stuff around.
                        >
                        > Lucy

                        Yes, yes, I agree, I agree !!!

                        ejk
                      • finsen@optusnet.com.au
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
                          > > Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
                          > > better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
                          > > tend to be against this policy, since there is no
                          > > 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
                          > > to say, and the language is ONE entity.
                          >
                          > For starters, the name is Patrick, not Peter! Hmm, then
                          > again, maybe I should go with the latter: "and on this
                          > Rock I will build my School of Tolkienian Linguistics..."
                          > ;-)

                          LOL!
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 5, 2005
                            Gildor Inglorion wrote:

                            > Btw [Patrick], I am surprised that you use 'the latter the better' logic.
                            Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment, tend to be against this policy,
                            since there is no 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used to
                            say, and the language is ONE entity.

                            I don't think I spoke of "immature Quenya" very often (if at all). These
                            days I tend to simply call the early variants "pre-classical", and the
                            later variants are better termed "LotR-compatible" than "mature". (Actually
                            some late ideas are not even LotR-compatible; nor are the late variants
                            always compatible with one another, even if they are LotR-compatible.)

                            As for _toron_ vs. _hαno, hanno_, I regard them simply as synonym words for
                            "brother", but other things being equal, I would normally go for the latter
                            (and later) forms.

                            My suggestion would be _Hαnor/hannor tennoio_ in Quenya, with _Torni
                            tennoio_ as an alternative if you are really fond of alliteration. In
                            Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".

                            - HKF
                          • laurifindil
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 5, 2005
                              <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:

                              <snip>

                              > In
                              > Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".

                              No, no.
                              Not in Sindarin...
                              In Helgian Mish-Mash Neo-Sindarin please.

                              ejk
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 11, 2005
                                I wrote:
                                > In Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".

                                "Laurifindil" (hello, Ed!) predictably responded:

                                > No, no. Not in Sindarin... In Helgian Mish-Mash Neo-Sindarin please.

                                I wonder why I even bother to reply, and I've been in no haste to do so,
                                but here goes:

                                Ed, if you have any good reason to assume that the plural forms of _hanar_
                                "brother" (VT47:14) and _uireb_ "eternal" are NOT formed according to the
                                normal patterns, we are all listening. If you will argue that the pl. of
                                _hanar_ is not *_henair_ (cf. for instance _aran_ "king", pl. _erain_), I
                                think the burden of evidence rests on you. You would have to presuppose
                                some irregular form, which must be far more speculative than simply
                                applying the rule derived from seemingly analogous examples.

                                As for syntax, the "noun + adjective" pattern is so well attested that
                                it's almost embarrassing to even cite an example, but consider for instance
                                _i mbair annui_ "the lands western" in the King's Letter. If you want to
                                make a big issue of the fact that the adjective _uireb_ (pl. *_uirib_)
                                "eternal" is strictly speaking only attested in Noldorin as opposed to
                                Sindarin proper, be my guest. But since the elements involved (derivatives
                                of the root OY and the adjectival ending -eb) do appear in Sindarin proper
                                as well, I think many observers would feel that this is a flimsy pretext
                                for dismissing what I wrote as "Helgian Mish-Mash".

                                I must say, Ed, that sometimes it would serve your general credibility
                                better if you took the time to actually explain what you think is wrong (or
                                at least overly speculative) about the translations offered. If you feel
                                that direct Tolkienian authorship is the sole factor that can ever save any
                                combination of Eldarin words from the status of "mish-mash", you are of
                                course entitled to your opinion. But then we can never write out even the
                                simplest phrase (of which _Henair uirib_ would be an example) if we thereby
                                dare to imply that the result is, indeed, acceptable Eldarin. I do find it
                                reasonable to assume that when a certain pattern of syntax is repeatedly
                                observed in our material, it will actually work with other vocabulary items
                                as well. This principle is after all the very foundation of any form of
                                language properly so called, natural or invented.

                                I strongly suspect that if I were to suggest that "the hill" translates
                                into Sindarin as _i amon_, you would immediately dismiss this as
                                "mish-mash" as well. For after all, the article followed by this exact noun
                                is not directly attested in any published Tolkien manuscript...

                                Do feel free to surprise me with a well-argued, non-aggressive reply, Ed.

                                On the constructive and on-topic side: the guy who asked the original
                                question may want to know that the following code will form the words
                                _Henair uirib_ in any of the standard Tengwar fonts. This is written in the
                                mode of Beleriand:

                                9l6]Õ7 .Õ7`w

                                - Helge Fauskanger
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 11, 2005
                                  > offered. If you feel
                                  > that direct Tolkienian authorship is the sole factor
                                  > that can ever save any
                                  > combination of Eldarin words from the status of
                                  > "mish-mash", you are of
                                  > course entitled to your opinion. But then we can

                                  I think Ed's position is more abstract, without having
                                  always some particular counter-reason to object.
                                  According to this, anything not attested is bound to
                                  be neo-Sindarin mish-mash without having an
                                  alternative for everything

                                  Think about this: some years ago, we had the
                                  neo-Sindarin word for name 'ess', based on Q esse. I
                                  don't remember Ed writing anything in particular
                                  against it, but he could, even without knowing the
                                  word eneth yet. What then? we could ask him if he has
                                  any alternatives, of course he wouldn't have, and we
                                  could remind to him how many S words are like their Q
                                  counterparts lacking the final vowel (of course,
                                  provided that the rest of phonology fits), the word
                                  'estathar' that points to a root ES (and not, say,
                                  **GES, causing it to be **gess), present cases where
                                  'ss' has been retained in both languages and hasn't
                                  been simplified in S as one 's'. Everything pointed to
                                  'ess', and Ed could not argue against it, apart from
                                  reminding that this is neo-Sindarin, but guess what,
                                  this failed.

                                  I can also remember the rule to which we hold since
                                  years, that adjectives are lenited, but Thornsten had
                                  just to simply point out all the attested cases, and
                                  they weren't more than the exceptions (eg. Ered
                                  Mithrin), posing then the question how could we
                                  establish such a rule.

                                  Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                                • laurifindil
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                                    <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
                                    > I wrote:
                                    > > In Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".
                                    >
                                    > "Laurifindil" (hello, Ed!) predictably responded:
                                    >
                                    > > No, no. Not in Sindarin... In Helgian Mish-Mash Neo-Sindarin
                                    please.

                                    > I wonder why I even bother to reply, and I've been in no haste to
                                    do so,
                                    > but here goes:

                                    <snip stuff>

                                    I know why... but I won't tell. It is not very proper.
                                    *LOL*

                                    Poor Helge...

                                    ejk
                                  • laurifindil
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                                      > > offered. If you feel
                                      > > that direct Tolkienian authorship is the sole factor
                                      > > that can ever save any
                                      > > combination of Eldarin words from the status of
                                      > > "mish-mash", you are of
                                      > > course entitled to your opinion. But then we can
                                      >
                                      > I think Ed's position is more abstract

                                      You can "think", that is news to me. Really ? :)

                                      Mister Gildor when you "think", you think _wrong_!

                                      All of yours is just a "patheic game".

                                      Who cares? I don't.

                                      LOL

                                      ejk
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                                        > You can "think", that is news to me. Really ? :)
                                        >
                                        > Mister Gildor when you "think", you think _wrong_!

                                        I also think that you didn't read my post.

                                        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                                      • Carl F. Hostetter
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                                          "Gildor" is right, Edouard. If you read what he actually wrote, you
                                          will see that he was defending your position against Helge's
                                          simplistic dismissal of it.

                                          (What IS it about the Internet that makes people fire off a reply
                                          before they've even understood what they are replying to?)

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 13, 2005
                                            I wrote:

                                            > Do feel free to surprise me with a well-argued, non-aggressive reply, Ed.

                                            Of course, there were no surprises whatsoever in Ed's actual reply...better
                                            kill off this thread before people get bored. I already am.

                                            - HKF