Θέμα: [elfscript] Re: The Elvish word for brother

    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 1, 2005
      since you ask for a translation 'in elvish', that
      means you haven't looked well enough :P

      anyway, question no 1: which language? Quenya or
      Sindarin?

      question 2: what have you found so far and got you
      confused? didn't you find any words at all?

      > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Varn aka
      > BaQuar"
      > <datastorm_usmc@y...> wrote:
      > > I am looking for information on how to write the
      > word brother in
      > > elvish. I have been reading some of the websites
      > and my head is
      > about
      > > to explode from so much information. My brother
      > and I want to get
      > it
      > > tattoed on our arms but want to make sure it is
      > correct. Any help
      > > would be appreciated email to my addy at yahoo or
      > hvarn@s...
      > > thanks
      >
      > Actually BROTHERS FOREVER is what I'm looking for...
      >
      > again any input assistance advice is great

      Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
    • Hansel Varn
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 2, 2005
        Well I found these...
        brother Q toron, onóro S gwanur, gwador, muindor, tór
        brother (sworn) Q otorno
        brotherhood Q otornasse

        but I don't know which is what. I assume Q is Quenya
        and S Sindarin

        Does it matter? I am bad at languages(failed German
        oh so many times in high school) I am guessing that
        Quenya is what is most common and used by the elves of
        the LOTR trilogy. I may be wrong of course. Thanks
        for responding. If you know of any web resources that
        can clarify anything let me know. Thanks again.

        Yahoo! Sports
        http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
      • Hansel Varn
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 2, 2005
          Well I found these...

          --- Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@...> wrote:

          > since you ask for a translation 'in elvish', that
          > means you haven't looked well enough :P
          >
          > anyway, question no 1: which language? Quenya or
          > Sindarin?
          >
          > question 2: what have you found so far and got you
          > confused? didn't you find any words at all?
          >
          > > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Varn aka
          > > BaQuar"
          > > <datastorm_usmc@y...> wrote:
          > > > I am looking for information on how to write the
          > > word brother in
          > > > elvish. I have been reading some of the
          > websites
          > > and my head is
          > > about
          > > > to explode from so much information. My brother
          > > and I want to get
          > > it
          > > > tattoed on our arms but want to make sure it is
          > > correct. Any help
          > > > would be appreciated email to my addy at yahoo
          > or
          > > hvarn@s...
          > > > thanks
          > >
          > > Actually BROTHERS FOREVER is what I'm looking
          > for...
          > >
          > > again any input assistance advice is great

          > ×ñçóéìïðïéåßôå Yahoo!;
          > ÂáñåèÞêáôå ôá åíï÷ëçôéêÜ ìçíýìáôá (spam); Ôï Yahoo!
          > Mail
          > äéáèÝôåé ôçí êáëýôåñç äõíáôÞ ðñïóôáóßá êáôÜ ôùí
          > åíï÷ëçôéêþí
          > ìçíõìÜôùí
          > http://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=gr

          > elfscript@...
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          __________________________________
          Yahoo! Mail
        • Patrick Wynne
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 3, 2005
            On Jul 2, 2005 Hansel Varn wrote, re various Quenya and
            Sindarin words for 'brother':

            > but I don't know which is what. I assume Q is Quenya
            > and S Sindarin
            >
            > Does it matter? I am bad at languages(failed German
            > oh so many times in high school) I am guessing that
            > Quenya is what is most common and used by the elves of
            > the LOTR trilogy. I may be wrong of course.

            I have to ask: why, if your interest in Tolkien's languages
            is so minimal, do you want to have "Brothers Forever"
            permanently embossed on your body _in Elvish_? I think
            the sentiment you and your brother want to express is
            touching, but why not express it in your native language?
            Wouldn't that be more meaningful and less faddish?

            </voice of reason>

            If you and your brother are determined to go with an Elvish
            inscription, the very latest (c. 1968) attested Quenya word
            for 'brother' found in Tolkien's published writings is _háno_
            (VT47:14, n. 22), which also had an affectionate form _hanno_
            (VT47:12). The Q. word for 'for ever' in the contemporary text
            _Cirion and Eorl_ is _tennoio_ (UT:305). So 'Brothers Forever'
            might be rendered in neo-Quenya as *_Hánor Tennoio_ or
            *_Hannor Tennoio_.

            I'll leave it to others more knowledgeabe to tell you how
            to render that in the standard _tengwar_ fonts (or to
            propose a rendering in neo-Sindarin).

            -- Patrick H. Wynne
          • Mel
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 3, 2005
              He *did* find some words - he sent them through. He wrote in asking
              for help. I didn't see anyone offer help, though. Just criticism.

              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Wynne <pwynne@g...> wrote:
              > On Jul 2, 2005 Hansel Varn wrote, re various Quenya and
              > Sindarin words for 'brother':
              >
              > > but I don't know which is what. I assume Q is Quenya
              > > and S Sindarin
              > >
              > > Does it matter? I am bad at languages(failed German
              > > oh so many times in high school) I am guessing that
              > > Quenya is what is most common and used by the elves of
              > > the LOTR trilogy. I may be wrong of course.
              >
              > I have to ask: why, if your interest in Tolkien's languages
              > is so minimal, do you want to have "Brothers Forever"
              > permanently embossed on your body _in Elvish_? I think
              > the sentiment you and your brother want to express is
              > touching, but why not express it in your native language?
              > Wouldn't that be more meaningful and less faddish?
              >
              > </voice of reason>
              >
              > If you and your brother are determined to go with an Elvish
              > inscription, the very latest (c. 1968) attested Quenya word
              > for 'brother' found in Tolkien's published writings is _háno_
              > (VT47:14, n. 22), which also had an affectionate form _hanno_
              > (VT47:12). The Q. word for 'for ever' in the contemporary text
              > _Cirion and Eorl_ is _tennoio_ (UT:305). So 'Brothers Forever'
              > might be rendered in neo-Quenya as *_Hánor Tennoio_ or
              > *_Hannor Tennoio_.
              >
              > I'll leave it to others more knowledgeabe to tell you how
              > to render that in the standard _tengwar_ fonts (or to
              > propose a rendering in neo-Sindarin).
              >
              > -- Patrick H. Wynne
            • Patrick Wynne
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 3, 2005
                On Jul 3, 2005, at 11:28 AM, Mel wrote:

                > He *did* find some words - he sent them through. He wrote in asking
                > for help. I didn't see anyone offer help, though. Just criticism.

                You "didn't see anyone offer help"? Wow, did you even read my
                message? In your haste to snark at me you apparently overlooked
                the fact that I provided Hansel with a proposed translation of the
                phrase he's interested in -- which nobody else has done thus far,
                and that includes YOU, Mel. I'd say that providing Hansel with what
                he asked for qualifies as "offering help", not "just criticism". Jeez.

                Yes, I know that Hansel did find some words. I read his post, remember?
                But the forms he cited were all from the _Etymologies_ (c. 1937) and
                predate _The Lord of the Rings_. The forms I cited are much later (c.
                1968)
                and very probably replaced the forms derived from the base TOR-
                'brother'
                in the _Etymologies_. Silly me, I thought that maybe Mr. Varn might be
                interested in having his tattoo inscription be as accurate as possible.

                -- Patrick H. Wynne

              • Hansel Varn
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 3, 2005
                  Wow, thanks for all the help folks this is a good
                  start, and I have begun my research. Let me explain
                  to those that think this is some whim of fadish
                  expression. My friend and I are from completely
                  opposite worlds practically, both racially,
                  educationally, age, life experience etc. Yet we are
                  as close as people can be. He is the Godfather to my
                  two children and more importantly we both love LOTR,
                  both film and books. I haven't read the books since I
                  was 12(I m now 33) and since the films have rekindled
                  my foundness I have started doing more reading into
                  the works. I don't want anyone to think I'm some lazy
                  fair weather fan that just didn't want to do the work.
                  Believe me I'm reading a lot. I have recently been
                  promoted to manager and lately haven't had much time
                  on my hands hence the request. Hope this helps those
                  who may wonder why? Thanks again for everyone's help,
                  comments and even criticizms.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
                    That's sweet.

                    Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
                    better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
                    tend to be against this policy, since there is no
                    'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
                    to say, and the language is ONE entity.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
                      > Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
                      > better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
                      > tend to be against this policy, since there is no
                      > 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
                      > to say, and the language is ONE entity.

                      Ehm, he's Patrick, not Peter...

                      But, well, according to *my personal meaning about and understanding*
                      the VT47, page 34, note 51, Pengolodh's thoughts, I think that the
                      new names given there for sister and brother are 1) more associated
                      with the play and 2) connected to a blood-relationship of relatives.
                      Thus the words _toron, otorno_ (LR:394, entry TOR-) for 'sworn
                      brother, associate' can be considered as well, being another
                      expressions for 'brother' bearing a slightly different meaning. This
                      is seen in every single living language, isn't it.. But it isn't but
                      my impression of all the stuff around.

                      Lucy
                    • Patrick Wynne
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
                        On Jul 4, 2005, at 2:11 AM, Gildor Inglorion wrote:

                        > Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
                        > better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
                        > tend to be against this policy, since there is no
                        > 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
                        > to say, and the language is ONE entity.

                        For starters, the name is Patrick, not Peter! Hmm, then
                        again, maybe I should go with the latter: "and on this
                        Rock I will build my School of Tolkienian Linguistics..."
                        ;-)

                        "Later" is not, of course, "better" in Tolkienian linguistics,
                        "later" is merely "later" (I personaly find ALL the external
                        chronological stages of Tolkien's languages of great
                        interest). Yes, Q(u)enya is "one entity" in that Tolkien's
                        writings from 1915 until his death show a constantly
                        changing and evolving _continuum_ of concepts --
                        but this of course does not mean that the later stages
                        of that continuum do not exhibit features drastically
                        different from the earlier stages. And when somebody
                        wishes to compose an inscription in the style of Quenya
                        as seen in _The Lord of the Rings_ (as is presumably
                        the case with Mr. Varn), they would do well to bypass
                        forms pre-dating LotR in favor of forms post-dating it,
                        as the latter are more likely to be in stylistic accord with
                        the published text. Similarly, somebody desiring to
                        compose an inscription in the style of Qenya as seen
                        in _The Book of Lost Tales_ would be wise to derive
                        their vocabulary from the contemporary Qenya Lexicon
                        rather than from the _Etymologies_ or _Quendi and
                        Eldar_.

                        -- Patrick H. Wynne

                      • Melroch 'Aestan
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
                          Patrick Wynne skrev:

                          > For starters, the name is Patrick, not Peter! Hmm, then
                          > again, maybe I should go with the latter: "and on this
                          > Rock I will build my School of Tolkienian Linguistics..."
                          > ;-)

                          Aldormon or Clifmon swa gifð þé mæst Wynne! ;-)

                          --

                          /BP 8^)>
                          A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
                            > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
                            > > better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
                            > > tend to be against this policy, since there is no
                            > > 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
                            > > to say, and the language is ONE entity.
                            >
                            > Ehm, he's Patrick, not Peter...
                            >
                            > But, well, according to *my personal meaning about and understanding*
                            > the VT47, page 34, note 51, Pengolodh's thoughts, I think that the
                            > new names given there for sister and brother are 1) more associated
                            > with the play and 2) connected to a blood-relationship of relatives.
                            > Thus the words _toron, otorno_ (LR:394, entry TOR-) for 'sworn
                            > brother, associate' can be considered as well, being another
                            > expressions for 'brother' bearing a slightly different meaning. This
                            > is seen in every single living language, isn't it.. But it isn't but
                            > my impression of all the stuff around.
                            >
                            > Lucy

                            Yes, yes, I agree, I agree !!!

                            ejk
                          • finsen@optusnet.com.au
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 4, 2005
                              > > Btw Peter I am surprised that you use 'the latter the
                              > > better' logic. Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment,
                              > > tend to be against this policy, since there is no
                              > > 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used
                              > > to say, and the language is ONE entity.
                              >
                              > For starters, the name is Patrick, not Peter! Hmm, then
                              > again, maybe I should go with the latter: "and on this
                              > Rock I will build my School of Tolkienian Linguistics..."
                              > ;-)

                              LOL!
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 5, 2005
                                Gildor Inglorion wrote:

                                > Btw [Patrick], I am surprised that you use 'the latter the better' logic.
                                Most people of.. uhm.. your alignment, tend to be against this policy,
                                since there is no 'mature Quenya' and 'immature Qenya' like Helge used to
                                say, and the language is ONE entity.

                                I don't think I spoke of "immature Quenya" very often (if at all). These
                                days I tend to simply call the early variants "pre-classical", and the
                                later variants are better termed "LotR-compatible" than "mature". (Actually
                                some late ideas are not even LotR-compatible; nor are the late variants
                                always compatible with one another, even if they are LotR-compatible.)

                                As for _toron_ vs. _hαno, hanno_, I regard them simply as synonym words for
                                "brother", but other things being equal, I would normally go for the latter
                                (and later) forms.

                                My suggestion would be _Hαnor/hannor tennoio_ in Quenya, with _Torni
                                tennoio_ as an alternative if you are really fond of alliteration. In
                                Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".

                                - HKF
                              • laurifindil
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 5, 2005
                                  <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:

                                  <snip>

                                  > In
                                  > Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".

                                  No, no.
                                  Not in Sindarin...
                                  In Helgian Mish-Mash Neo-Sindarin please.

                                  ejk
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 11, 2005
                                    I wrote:
                                    > In Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".

                                    "Laurifindil" (hello, Ed!) predictably responded:

                                    > No, no. Not in Sindarin... In Helgian Mish-Mash Neo-Sindarin please.

                                    I wonder why I even bother to reply, and I've been in no haste to do so,
                                    but here goes:

                                    Ed, if you have any good reason to assume that the plural forms of _hanar_
                                    "brother" (VT47:14) and _uireb_ "eternal" are NOT formed according to the
                                    normal patterns, we are all listening. If you will argue that the pl. of
                                    _hanar_ is not *_henair_ (cf. for instance _aran_ "king", pl. _erain_), I
                                    think the burden of evidence rests on you. You would have to presuppose
                                    some irregular form, which must be far more speculative than simply
                                    applying the rule derived from seemingly analogous examples.

                                    As for syntax, the "noun + adjective" pattern is so well attested that
                                    it's almost embarrassing to even cite an example, but consider for instance
                                    _i mbair annui_ "the lands western" in the King's Letter. If you want to
                                    make a big issue of the fact that the adjective _uireb_ (pl. *_uirib_)
                                    "eternal" is strictly speaking only attested in Noldorin as opposed to
                                    Sindarin proper, be my guest. But since the elements involved (derivatives
                                    of the root OY and the adjectival ending -eb) do appear in Sindarin proper
                                    as well, I think many observers would feel that this is a flimsy pretext
                                    for dismissing what I wrote as "Helgian Mish-Mash".

                                    I must say, Ed, that sometimes it would serve your general credibility
                                    better if you took the time to actually explain what you think is wrong (or
                                    at least overly speculative) about the translations offered. If you feel
                                    that direct Tolkienian authorship is the sole factor that can ever save any
                                    combination of Eldarin words from the status of "mish-mash", you are of
                                    course entitled to your opinion. But then we can never write out even the
                                    simplest phrase (of which _Henair uirib_ would be an example) if we thereby
                                    dare to imply that the result is, indeed, acceptable Eldarin. I do find it
                                    reasonable to assume that when a certain pattern of syntax is repeatedly
                                    observed in our material, it will actually work with other vocabulary items
                                    as well. This principle is after all the very foundation of any form of
                                    language properly so called, natural or invented.

                                    I strongly suspect that if I were to suggest that "the hill" translates
                                    into Sindarin as _i amon_, you would immediately dismiss this as
                                    "mish-mash" as well. For after all, the article followed by this exact noun
                                    is not directly attested in any published Tolkien manuscript...

                                    Do feel free to surprise me with a well-argued, non-aggressive reply, Ed.

                                    On the constructive and on-topic side: the guy who asked the original
                                    question may want to know that the following code will form the words
                                    _Henair uirib_ in any of the standard Tengwar fonts. This is written in the
                                    mode of Beleriand:

                                    9l6]Õ7 .Õ7`w

                                    - Helge Fauskanger
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 11, 2005
                                      > offered. If you feel
                                      > that direct Tolkienian authorship is the sole factor
                                      > that can ever save any
                                      > combination of Eldarin words from the status of
                                      > "mish-mash", you are of
                                      > course entitled to your opinion. But then we can

                                      I think Ed's position is more abstract, without having
                                      always some particular counter-reason to object.
                                      According to this, anything not attested is bound to
                                      be neo-Sindarin mish-mash without having an
                                      alternative for everything

                                      Think about this: some years ago, we had the
                                      neo-Sindarin word for name 'ess', based on Q esse. I
                                      don't remember Ed writing anything in particular
                                      against it, but he could, even without knowing the
                                      word eneth yet. What then? we could ask him if he has
                                      any alternatives, of course he wouldn't have, and we
                                      could remind to him how many S words are like their Q
                                      counterparts lacking the final vowel (of course,
                                      provided that the rest of phonology fits), the word
                                      'estathar' that points to a root ES (and not, say,
                                      **GES, causing it to be **gess), present cases where
                                      'ss' has been retained in both languages and hasn't
                                      been simplified in S as one 's'. Everything pointed to
                                      'ess', and Ed could not argue against it, apart from
                                      reminding that this is neo-Sindarin, but guess what,
                                      this failed.

                                      I can also remember the rule to which we hold since
                                      years, that adjectives are lenited, but Thornsten had
                                      just to simply point out all the attested cases, and
                                      they weren't more than the exceptions (eg. Ered
                                      Mithrin), posing then the question how could we
                                      establish such a rule.

                                      Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                                    • laurifindil
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                                        <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
                                        > I wrote:
                                        > > In Sindarin, _Henair uirib_ could express "eternal brothers".
                                        >
                                        > "Laurifindil" (hello, Ed!) predictably responded:
                                        >
                                        > > No, no. Not in Sindarin... In Helgian Mish-Mash Neo-Sindarin
                                        please.

                                        > I wonder why I even bother to reply, and I've been in no haste to
                                        do so,
                                        > but here goes:

                                        <snip stuff>

                                        I know why... but I won't tell. It is not very proper.
                                        *LOL*

                                        Poor Helge...

                                        ejk
                                      • laurifindil
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                                          > > offered. If you feel
                                          > > that direct Tolkienian authorship is the sole factor
                                          > > that can ever save any
                                          > > combination of Eldarin words from the status of
                                          > > "mish-mash", you are of
                                          > > course entitled to your opinion. But then we can
                                          >
                                          > I think Ed's position is more abstract

                                          You can "think", that is news to me. Really ? :)

                                          Mister Gildor when you "think", you think _wrong_!

                                          All of yours is just a "patheic game".

                                          Who cares? I don't.

                                          LOL

                                          ejk
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                                            > You can "think", that is news to me. Really ? :)
                                            >
                                            > Mister Gildor when you "think", you think _wrong_!

                                            I also think that you didn't read my post.

                                            Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
                                          • Carl F. Hostetter
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 12, 2005
                                              "Gildor" is right, Edouard. If you read what he actually wrote, you
                                              will see that he was defending your position against Helge's
                                              simplistic dismissal of it.

                                              (What IS it about the Internet that makes people fire off a reply
                                              before they've even understood what they are replying to?)

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jul 13, 2005
                                                I wrote:

                                                > Do feel free to surprise me with a well-argued, non-aggressive reply, Ed.

                                                Of course, there were no surprises whatsoever in Ed's actual reply...better
                                                kill off this thread before people get bored. I already am.

                                                - HKF