Θέμα: [elfscript] Tengwar and Slavic lan guages

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2005
      > I have been dabbling in Slavic historical
      > linguistics recently, and as
      > a matter of course I've been trying to write those
      > languages with
      > Tengwar. I am aware that there are other modes for
      > most of the modern
      > languages -- it's more like I'm speculating what
      > things would look
      > like if there had been a Tengwar mode for Old Church
      > Slavic, and how
      > things may develop from there...

      In Gwiath, i-degilbor has made an Ave Maria
      transcription with an old church slavonic looking
      tengwar font of his devision...

      oh, your link isnt working :(
      > <http://eowine.superihost.com/images/chlovjeku.gif>
      >
      > /Melroch

      Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
      μηνυμάτων http://gr.mail.yahoo.com
    • BP Jonsson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2005
        > > I have been dabbling in Slavic historical
        > > linguistics recently, and as
        > > a matter of course I've been trying to write those
        > > languages with
        > > Tengwar. I am aware that there are other modes for
        > > most of the modern
        > > languages -- it's more like I'm speculating what
        > > things would look
        > > like if there had been a Tengwar mode for Old Church
        > > Slavic, and how
        > > things may develop from there...
        >
        > In Gwiath, i-degilbor has made an Ave Maria
        > transcription with an old church slavonic looking
        > tengwar font of his devision...

        Yes I saw it. Old Cyrillic, Greek Uncial of the same period and
        some southern European "Gothic" hands look much the same, FWIW.
        Too bad it's not a _font_ but handwritten...

        My sample is in Tengwar Annatar, but the *language* is Slavic.

        > oh, your link isnt working :(
        > > <http://eowine.superihost.com/images/chlovjeku.gif>

        Yes. Strangely since it worked yesterday!
        Anyway I uploaded it to
        <http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/files/Melroch/>

        and am still waiting for my home connexion to get working again.
        Blast these library computers without Tengwar! :-)
      • i_degilbor
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2005
          I came across a tengwar mode devised by a Bulgarian Tolkien fan for
          Old Church Slavonic. It's a full-writing mode. Slavic languages are
          not my forte, but the assignment of the tengwar looks pretty logical,
          with one exception: the use of esse nuquerna for izhitsa bothers me.
          But since izhitsa is such a seldom used letter, I can overlook that. I
          copied the mode using the appropriate fonts. It can be found here:

          http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL164/1356691/7618463/100661537.jpg

          There was also the beginning of the Lord's Prayer in Old Church
          Slavonic:

          http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL164/1356691/7618463/100661628.jpg

          Cuio mae, Danny.
        • melroch@melroch.se
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 15, 2005
            Citerar i_degilbor <Uialdil_i_degilbor@...>:

            > I came across a tengwar mode devised by a Bulgarian Tolkien fan for
            > Old Church Slavonic. It's a full-writing mode. Slavic languages are
            > not my forte, but the assignment of the tengwar looks pretty logical,
            > with one exception: the use of esse nuquerna for izhitsa bothers me.
            > But since izhitsa is such a seldom used letter, I can overlook that. I
            > copied the mode using the appropriate fonts. It can be found here:

            The use of Anna for 'o' in a mode otherwise using the kalmatéma for palatals is
            somewhat bothering for me! I'm not exactly sure how I would do, though. And I
            would use Wilya without stem for hard jer; after all it WAS a full vowel in
            OCS!

            BTW I'm rethinking my Slavic tehtya mode(s) ATM. More later.

            /Melroch