Tengwar and Slavic languages

  • BP Jonsson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2005
      I have been dabbling in Slavic historical linguistics recently, and as
      a matter of course I've been trying to write those languages with
      Tengwar. I am aware that there are other modes for most of the modern
      languages -- it's more like I'm speculating what things would look
      like if there had been a Tengwar mode for Old Church Slavic, and how
      things may develop from there...

      <http://eowine.superihost.com/images/chlovjeku.gif>

      /Melroch
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2005
        > I have been dabbling in Slavic historical
        > linguistics recently, and as
        > a matter of course I've been trying to write those
        > languages with
        > Tengwar. I am aware that there are other modes for
        > most of the modern
        > languages -- it's more like I'm speculating what
        > things would look
        > like if there had been a Tengwar mode for Old Church
        > Slavic, and how
        > things may develop from there...

        In Gwiath, i-degilbor has made an Ave Maria
        transcription with an old church slavonic looking
        tengwar font of his devision...

        oh, your link isnt working :(
        > <http://eowine.superihost.com/images/chlovjeku.gif>
        >
        > /Melroch

        Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!;
        μηνυμάτων http://gr.mail.yahoo.com
      • BP Jonsson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2005
          > > I have been dabbling in Slavic historical
          > > linguistics recently, and as
          > > a matter of course I've been trying to write those
          > > languages with
          > > Tengwar. I am aware that there are other modes for
          > > most of the modern
          > > languages -- it's more like I'm speculating what
          > > things would look
          > > like if there had been a Tengwar mode for Old Church
          > > Slavic, and how
          > > things may develop from there...
          >
          > In Gwiath, i-degilbor has made an Ave Maria
          > transcription with an old church slavonic looking
          > tengwar font of his devision...

          Yes I saw it. Old Cyrillic, Greek Uncial of the same period and
          some southern European "Gothic" hands look much the same, FWIW.
          Too bad it's not a _font_ but handwritten...

          My sample is in Tengwar Annatar, but the *language* is Slavic.

          > oh, your link isnt working :(
          > > <http://eowine.superihost.com/images/chlovjeku.gif>

          Yes. Strangely since it worked yesterday!
          Anyway I uploaded it to
          <http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/elfscript/files/Melroch/>

          and am still waiting for my home connexion to get working again.
          Blast these library computers without Tengwar! :-)
        • i_degilbor
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 14, 2005
            I came across a tengwar mode devised by a Bulgarian Tolkien fan for
            Old Church Slavonic. It's a full-writing mode. Slavic languages are
            not my forte, but the assignment of the tengwar looks pretty logical,
            with one exception: the use of esse nuquerna for izhitsa bothers me.
            But since izhitsa is such a seldom used letter, I can overlook that. I
            copied the mode using the appropriate fonts. It can be found here:

            http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL164/1356691/7618463/100661537.jpg

            There was also the beginning of the Lord's Prayer in Old Church
            Slavonic:

            http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL164/1356691/7618463/100661628.jpg

            Cuio mae, Danny.
          • melroch@melroch.se
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 15, 2005
              Citerar i_degilbor <Uialdil_i_degilbor@...>:

              > I came across a tengwar mode devised by a Bulgarian Tolkien fan for
              > Old Church Slavonic. It's a full-writing mode. Slavic languages are
              > not my forte, but the assignment of the tengwar looks pretty logical,
              > with one exception: the use of esse nuquerna for izhitsa bothers me.
              > But since izhitsa is such a seldom used letter, I can overlook that. I
              > copied the mode using the appropriate fonts. It can be found here:

              The use of Anna for 'o' in a mode otherwise using the kalmatéma for palatals is
              somewhat bothering for me! I'm not exactly sure how I would do, though. And I
              would use Wilya without stem for hard jer; after all it WAS a full vowel in
              OCS!

              BTW I'm rethinking my Slavic tehtya mode(s) ATM. More later.

              /Melroch