Re: [elfscript] Re: Name Translation Help

  • Melroch 'Aestan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2005
      Rajiv Sethumadhavan skrev:
      > Hey Lucy..thanks a lot for all the help..i just had a
      > couple of small clarifications..my name RAJIV is
      > pronounced as RAAGEEV which could probably be split
      > into "RAAG" (pronounced like Marge/ Barge/ Large) +
      > "EVE" (like Adam and Eve).

      RAJIV Means "striped" in Sanskrit. This is the name of a kind of fish
      and of the blue lotus.

      If we go with the "blue lotus", which seems the most likely:

      Raajeev: simply transliterated in a mode appropriate for Sanskrit or
      Hindi, type E~Cs~Vr
      Quenya: Luinindil "blue lily/blue divine flower" type: jlU5%2%j
      Sindarin: Luinelloth "blue single flower" type jhU5jR¸3Y or j.Õ6ljjh3

      Luckily Raajeev doesn't contain any letters from the third
      (retroflex/cerebral) varg of the Devanagari alphabet.
      How those should be transliterated in Tengwar is (still)
      a very much open question!

      Benct aka Melroch aka Vagindra
      --

      /BP 8^)>
      A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2005
        Teithant Melroch:
        > Raajeev: simply transliterated in a mode appropriate for Sanskrit or
        > Hindi, type E~Cs~Vr

        Shouldn't that be 7~Cs~Br ?
        E produces the three dot tengwa, not rómen.

        Cuio mae, Danny.
      • BP Jonsson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 13, 2005
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor"
          <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...> wrote:
          > Teithant Melroch:
          > > Raajeev: simply transliterated in a mode appropriate for
          Sanskrit
          or
          > > Hindi, type E~Cs~Vr
          >
          > Shouldn't that be 7~Cs~Br ?
          > E produces the three dot tengwa, not rómen.
          >
          > Cuio mae, Danny.

          I meant OOre(*) actually. I don't have any Tengwar fonts on this
          library computer(**) so I don't remember what key that is. Is it 5?

          (*)Since Hindi has three different "r" sounds Roomen and Arda are
          better used for the flaps .r and .rh and Oore for the plain /r/.

          (**) My home internet connexion is broken ATM...

          /Melroch