Re: Name Translation Help

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2005
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "rajivsethumadhavan"
      <rajivsethumadhavan@y...> wrote:
      > Hi..
      Hello and welcome,

      > However, i have been told that, simply typing
      > the alphabets of my name in say MS Word, after selecting the font
      > as Tengwar Cursive is not the correct way of going about this.

      The person who had told you this was correct.

      > The questions i have are:
      > 1) Should i first translate my name (rajiv)into Quenya or Sindarin
      > and then key in the alphabets of the translated word into MS Word
      > with the font as Tengwar Cursive and then use the outoput text?

      You don't need to translate your name - actually, it is much better
      not to do so since you probably wouldn't get an exact and correct
      Quenya or Sindarin translation.

      > OR
      >
      > 2)Is it correct if i key in the alphabets of my names as in english
      > (rajiv) into MS Word with the font as Tengwas Cursive and then use
      > the output text?

      It's the same as you would type the letters yourself. Here is the
      link to a .zip file where you can find a .pdf keyboard:
      http://www.acondia.com/font_tengwar/TengwarSindarin_v19E.zip

      If you wouldn't be able to do it yourself, here is the instruction -
      type these keys into your Word Editor (either in the Tengwar Font
      directly or in a Latin font and then turning it to the Tengwar font):

      7s#eT

      (it is possible that there is another sign on the key 3 on your
      keyboard, so to have the A, press 'shift 3').

      I suppose that your name is *pronounced* as [radzhif]:
      R as in English ROCK
      A as in English LUCK
      J as in English JACK
      I as in English HIT*
      V as in English FIT

      That's also why I used the F Tengwar sign (formen) in the end and
      anga for J (as in English).

      *I don't know whether the I in your name in not long (i.e. as in
      English HEAT), then it would be: 7s#~Be

      Hope this helps.
      Lucy
    • Rajiv Sethumadhavan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 8, 2005
        Hey Lucy..thanks a lot for all the help..i just had a
        couple of small clarifications..my name RAJIV is
        pronounced as RAAGEEV which could probably be split
        into "RAAG" (pronounced like Marge/ Barge/ Large) +
        "EVE" (like Adam and Eve).

        Will this change 7s#~Be into something else? If so, i
        would relly appreciate it if you can let me know what?

        Thanks again,
        Rajiv

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/7L5olB/TM

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Melroch 'Aestan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2005
          Rajiv Sethumadhavan skrev:
          > Hey Lucy..thanks a lot for all the help..i just had a
          > couple of small clarifications..my name RAJIV is
          > pronounced as RAAGEEV which could probably be split
          > into "RAAG" (pronounced like Marge/ Barge/ Large) +
          > "EVE" (like Adam and Eve).

          RAJIV Means "striped" in Sanskrit. This is the name of a kind of fish
          and of the blue lotus.

          If we go with the "blue lotus", which seems the most likely:

          Raajeev: simply transliterated in a mode appropriate for Sanskrit or
          Hindi, type E~Cs~Vr
          Quenya: Luinindil "blue lily/blue divine flower" type: jlU5%2%j
          Sindarin: Luinelloth "blue single flower" type jhU5jR¸3Y or j.Õ6ljjh3

          Luckily Raajeev doesn't contain any letters from the third
          (retroflex/cerebral) varg of the Devanagari alphabet.
          How those should be transliterated in Tengwar is (still)
          a very much open question!

          Benct aka Melroch aka Vagindra
          --

          /BP 8^)>
          A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2005
            Teithant Melroch:
            > Raajeev: simply transliterated in a mode appropriate for Sanskrit or
            > Hindi, type E~Cs~Vr

            Shouldn't that be 7~Cs~Br ?
            E produces the three dot tengwa, not rómen.

            Cuio mae, Danny.
          • BP Jonsson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 13, 2005
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor"
              <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...> wrote:
              > Teithant Melroch:
              > > Raajeev: simply transliterated in a mode appropriate for
              Sanskrit
              or
              > > Hindi, type E~Cs~Vr
              >
              > Shouldn't that be 7~Cs~Br ?
              > E produces the three dot tengwa, not rómen.
              >
              > Cuio mae, Danny.

              I meant OOre(*) actually. I don't have any Tengwar fonts on this
              library computer(**) so I don't remember what key that is. Is it 5?

              (*)Since Hindi has three different "r" sounds Roomen and Arda are
              better used for the flaps .r and .rh and Oore for the plain /r/.

              (**) My home internet connexion is broken ATM...

              /Melroch