Name Translation Help

  • rajivsethumadhavan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2005
      Hi..im planning on getting my name (rajiv) tattooed in an elvish
      script, the one i like is Tengwar Cursive. I have also installed the
      font for this script. However, i have been told that, simply typing
      the alphabets of my name in say MS Word, after selecting the font as
      Tengwar Cursive is not the correct way of going about this.

      The questions i have are:
      1) Should i first translate my name (rajiv)into Quenya or Sindarin
      and then key in the alphabets of the translated word into MS Word
      with the font as Tengwar Cursive and then use the outoput text?

      OR

      2)Is it correct if i key in the alphabets of my names as in english
      (rajiv) into MS Word with the font as Tengwas Cursive and then use
      the output text?

      Any help is highly appreciated..when i get inked i wanna make sure
      idont have to go under the knife after..:-)..thanks!!

      Cheers
      - Rajiv
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2005
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "rajivsethumadhavan"
        <rajivsethumadhavan@y...> wrote:
        > Hi..
        Hello and welcome,

        > However, i have been told that, simply typing
        > the alphabets of my name in say MS Word, after selecting the font
        > as Tengwar Cursive is not the correct way of going about this.

        The person who had told you this was correct.

        > The questions i have are:
        > 1) Should i first translate my name (rajiv)into Quenya or Sindarin
        > and then key in the alphabets of the translated word into MS Word
        > with the font as Tengwar Cursive and then use the outoput text?

        You don't need to translate your name - actually, it is much better
        not to do so since you probably wouldn't get an exact and correct
        Quenya or Sindarin translation.

        > OR
        >
        > 2)Is it correct if i key in the alphabets of my names as in english
        > (rajiv) into MS Word with the font as Tengwas Cursive and then use
        > the output text?

        It's the same as you would type the letters yourself. Here is the
        link to a .zip file where you can find a .pdf keyboard:
        http://www.acondia.com/font_tengwar/TengwarSindarin_v19E.zip

        If you wouldn't be able to do it yourself, here is the instruction -
        type these keys into your Word Editor (either in the Tengwar Font
        directly or in a Latin font and then turning it to the Tengwar font):

        7s#eT

        (it is possible that there is another sign on the key 3 on your
        keyboard, so to have the A, press 'shift 3').

        I suppose that your name is *pronounced* as [radzhif]:
        R as in English ROCK
        A as in English LUCK
        J as in English JACK
        I as in English HIT*
        V as in English FIT

        That's also why I used the F Tengwar sign (formen) in the end and
        anga for J (as in English).

        *I don't know whether the I in your name in not long (i.e. as in
        English HEAT), then it would be: 7s#~Be

        Hope this helps.
        Lucy
      • Rajiv Sethumadhavan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2005
          Hey Lucy..thanks a lot for all the help..i just had a
          couple of small clarifications..my name RAJIV is
          pronounced as RAAGEEV which could probably be split
          into "RAAG" (pronounced like Marge/ Barge/ Large) +
          "EVE" (like Adam and Eve).

          Will this change 7s#~Be into something else? If so, i
          would relly appreciate it if you can let me know what?

          Thanks again,
          Rajiv

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/7L5olB/TM

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Melroch 'Aestan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 10, 2005
            Rajiv Sethumadhavan skrev:
            > Hey Lucy..thanks a lot for all the help..i just had a
            > couple of small clarifications..my name RAJIV is
            > pronounced as RAAGEEV which could probably be split
            > into "RAAG" (pronounced like Marge/ Barge/ Large) +
            > "EVE" (like Adam and Eve).

            RAJIV Means "striped" in Sanskrit. This is the name of a kind of fish
            and of the blue lotus.

            If we go with the "blue lotus", which seems the most likely:

            Raajeev: simply transliterated in a mode appropriate for Sanskrit or
            Hindi, type E~Cs~Vr
            Quenya: Luinindil "blue lily/blue divine flower" type: jlU5%2%j
            Sindarin: Luinelloth "blue single flower" type jhU5jR¸3Y or j.Õ6ljjh3

            Luckily Raajeev doesn't contain any letters from the third
            (retroflex/cerebral) varg of the Devanagari alphabet.
            How those should be transliterated in Tengwar is (still)
            a very much open question!

            Benct aka Melroch aka Vagindra
            --

            /BP 8^)>
            A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 11, 2005
              Teithant Melroch:
              > Raajeev: simply transliterated in a mode appropriate for Sanskrit or
              > Hindi, type E~Cs~Vr

              Shouldn't that be 7~Cs~Br ?
              E produces the three dot tengwa, not rómen.

              Cuio mae, Danny.
            • BP Jonsson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 13, 2005
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "i_degilbor"
                <Uialdil_i_degilbor@m...> wrote:
                > Teithant Melroch:
                > > Raajeev: simply transliterated in a mode appropriate for
                Sanskrit
                or
                > > Hindi, type E~Cs~Vr
                >
                > Shouldn't that be 7~Cs~Br ?
                > E produces the three dot tengwa, not rómen.
                >
                > Cuio mae, Danny.

                I meant OOre(*) actually. I don't have any Tengwar fonts on this
                library computer(**) so I don't remember what key that is. Is it 5?

                (*)Since Hindi has three different "r" sounds Roomen and Arda are
                better used for the flaps .r and .rh and Oore for the plain /r/.

                (**) My home internet connexion is broken ATM...

                /Melroch