Re: [elfscript] Digest Number 156

  • James Robertson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2002
      Hi,

      Thanks whoever recommended that font. It's very good, but doesn't print the
      tehtas properly, only the actual tengwar. But it will have to do, since
      there doesn't seem to be any more. Thanks also for the explanation; I did
      understand it, but I think I'll go and read Appendix E.

      Thanks,

      Robbo

      From: "D W Dorsey" <dwdorsey@...>
      2. Tengwar font for Mac
      From: "j_g_robbo" <robbo_01@...>
      3. Re: Digest Number 155
      From: DDanielA@...
      4. Re: Tengwar font for Mac
      From: Graham McArthur <gmca@...>
      5. Letters vs Alphabet
      From: Michael Adams <abrigon@...>
      6. Re: Tengwar font for Mac
      From: DDanielA@...
      7. Re: Tengwar font for Mac
      From: "Boca de Sauron" <cfilho_correa@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:45:50 -0500
      From: "D W Dorsey" <dwdorsey@...>
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 155

      I'm new to this group and I've noticed that almost every time a newcomer
      eagerly asks a question, the person answering has to include a smart ass
      comment to the questioner in their reply. That's not very welcoming, and
      would certainly put me off asking any questions of all you much more
      intelligent selfish, er I mean, elfish people. And I believe Bird Girl was
      probably looking for a LOTR font or something similar. Artist. Duh.
      Dianne

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:28:32 -0000
      From: "lopineb" <tantor@...>
      Subject: Hi

      Hi. I am new here and really interested in the script used in LOTR.
      Being an artist I am looking for the alphabet letters used like on
      The Ring. I have found the alphabet, but need the letters. Can
      anyone help me in finding them. So far I have seen a lot of
      linguistic material, but not the letters themselves. Any help would
      be greatly appreciated.

      Bird Girl

      Message: 2
      Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:50:45 +0000 (GMT)
      From: Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@...>
      Subject: Re: Hi

      teithant lopineb

      > The Ring. I have found the alphabet, but need the letters. Can
      anyone help me in finding them. So far I have seen a lot of
      linguistic material, but not the letters themselves. Any help would
      be greatly appreciated.

      * what is the difference between alphabet and letters?

      anyway, i hope http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html helps

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 2
      Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 05:07:26 -0000
      From: "j_g_robbo" <robbo_01@...>
      Subject: Tengwar font for Mac

      Hi,

      I'm new here and I was wondering if there is a Quenya font for Mac
      available anywhere. Everyone seems to put Windows stuff out, but no Mac
      fonts. And I would love to know what the different "modes" mean, I have
      no idea. I have read LoTR and the Hobbit and Silmarillion (a long long
      time ago), but I don't think I've read the appendix. Anyone help me?

      Thanks

      Robbo

      Message: 3
      Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 23:13:50 -0600 (CST)
      From: DDanielA@...

      Okay, I too was confused. After all, an alphabet is a complement or
      arrangement of letters. What was so clear to you was not so clear to the
      rest of us. And apparently not as clear to you as you thought, either.
      She was NOT looking for a 'font or something similar'...so much for the
      'Duh' comment. She was looking for help transcribing Eldarin words into
      tengwar. I hope I helped her somewhat on the Elfling list. Before you
      begin criticising Gildor, it should be known that on the Elfling list he
      fields a large number of newbies' questions that many don't want to take
      the time to deal with. He patiently suggests the Quenya course on
      Ardalambion, for example, over and over because the newbies don't read
      the posts in the archives before they dive right in and ask a question
      that was asked the day before. He answers questions that they would have
      found answers to if they had bothered to read Elfling's FAQ. He has
      infinitely more patience than I. We welcome questions; we've had
      questions, too. What we don't like seeing is, to paraphrase a past
      example, "I want someone to tell me how to say [such-and-such] in
      Elvish. I could look it up, but I'm too lazy and want someone else to do
      all the work for me." THAT is my idea of rude, not a light remark noting
      that a request was not very clear. If you have a question, Dianne,
      please ask it. We just want to make sure that we know what the question
      is. We're all here to help each other learn something we have a common
      interest in.

      Cuio mae, Danny.

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 4
      Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:00:42 +1030
      From: Graham McArthur <gmca@...>
      Subject: Re: Tengwar font for Mac

      j_g_robbo wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm new here and I was wondering if there is a Quenya font for Mac
      > available anywhere. Everyone seems to put Windows stuff out, but no
      > Mac
      > fonts. And I would love to know what the different "modes" mean, I
      > have
      > no idea. I have read LoTR and the Hobbit and Silmarillion (a long long
      >
      > time ago), but I don't think I've read the appendix. Anyone help me?

      Hi Robbo,
      There are some Mac versions about, however they are not as good and even
      have mistakes such as reversed characters. I couldn't recommend any.
      Maybe someone on the list knows of a good Mac font, but I have yet to
      find one.
      I am working on some designs for Mac. Perhaps I need to pull my finger
      out and finish them. Designing good fonts takes time, even simple ones
      like a Tengwar typeface.

      If you find some good ones, let me know.
      Cheers,
      GMcA

      --

      Graham McArthur
      http://users.senet.com.au/~gmca

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 5
      Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:52:28 -0900
      From: Michael Adams <abrigon@...>
      Subject: Letters vs Alphabet

      An Alphabet normally is in a sequential order, and each letter is a
      consonant/vowel.
      The term come from the first two letters of the greek alphabet. Alpha = A,
      Beta= B
      Which comes from the Phonecian or related lingo namely Alif, Beth.

      Versus
      syllybaries(sp) Letter is a syllabyle like Pha, Ma, Me, Phe and so on.
      Ideographic Letter is an idea, many times is drawing or like. Chinese is
      ideographic
      Heiroglyphs Religious writing, such as Egyptian/Mayan and like. Mostly in
      picture form, but more developed than a pictograph. Basically a style to
      it.
      Pictographs Drawing is idea, a creature. This term is often used for
      "primative" cultures, versus ones like Egypt (any of the dynasties).

      Basically A is a letter, but not a whole alphabet. While a Syllibary letter
      is
      a letter, but it is not even part of an Alphabet. Sanskrit and it's Bramhi
      script is an example of a letter that is not part of an alphabet.

      Mike
      Off to back to sleep, I hate it when people call me anytime.

      Message: 6
      Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:19:39 -0600 (CST)
      From: DDanielA@...

      One tengwar font that I know is available for the Mac is Harri
      Per�l�'s Tengwar Cursive - http://www.sci.fi/~alboin/tengwar.htm .
      It is based on the flowing cursive style of tengwar used for the Ring
      inscription. There may be other good Mac fonts out there. If I happen
      across any, I will post the URLs for them. (I won't post 'less than
      good' fonts like Lothlorien or Tengwar Gandalf!)

      On to modes ... A mode of the tengwar is, basically, a system of how to
      use the letters. For example, in the Quenya mode tengwa # 5 (ando) has
      the sound 'nd' whereas in all other known modes it has the sound 'd'.
      Another example: In the Sindarin Mode of Beleriand tengwa #21 (�re) =
      'n'; in the other attested Sindarin modes, �re represents 'r' before a
      consonant or at the end of a word. (But note that Professor Tolkien was
      quite inconsistent about the '�re/r�men' choice in the Sindarin
      portions of the three King's Letter facsimiles.) Modes also determine
      how vowels are represented. Full writing modes (like the mode of
      Beleriand used in the Moria gate inscription, FotR) represent vowels by
      use of tengwar. Other modes use tehtar, or diacritical marks, to
      indicate vowels (like in the Ring inscription, though this was written
      in the Black Speech). The mode also determines whether the vowel tehta
      is placed on the preceding or following consonant. For example, in the
      Quenya mode tengwa #17 (n�men) with a single dot over it represents
      the syllable 'ni', but in the Sindarin tehta mode(s) it represents 'in'.
      In the mode of Beleriand the syllable 'in' is written 'short carrier' +
      '�re'; in the other attested full writing mode 'in' is written 'short
      carrier' + 'n�men'. Of course to get a better idea of the differences
      in modes, you should read Appendix E of 'The Lord of the Rings'. I hope
      this didn't prove too confusing!

      Message: 7
      Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:23:09 -0200
      From: "Boca de Sauron" <cfilho_correa@...>

      Any mellyn have the font "Lothlorien" to PC.

      Thanks
      Mouth Of Sauron

      --
      Visitem meu Weblog: http://mountdoom.weblogger.com.br