[elfscript] Runes?

  • Fradeve Virgilio
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 17 7:05 AM
      Aiya to all!

      I think the questioni s too simple.
      Is there any attested example in wich Tolkien writes Q(u)enya or Sindarin
      with Runes?
      Are there particular rules in this sense?

      Greetings,

      Fradeve

      PS: I've founded an inscription from P. Jackson's trilogy, on the sword
      Anduril, in wich Quenya is written with runes.

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 17 7:19 AM
        > I think the questioni s too simple.
        > Is there any attested example in wich Tolkien writes
        > Q(u)enya or Sindarin
        > with Runes?

        according to both my memory (justified by
        http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/mdics.html) there
        aren't

        > Are there particular rules in this sense?

        I think some details you can find at
        http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/History_of_Elven_writing_systems

        AFAIK it's the only document that discusses each cirth
        mode indepedently

        > PS: I've founded an inscription from P. Jackson's
        > trilogy, on the sword
        > Anduril, in wich Quenya is written with runes.

        I think that the mode of Eregion and later modes were
        used for Quenya as well

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 18 1:49 AM
          > > Are there particular rules in this sense?
          >
          > I think some details you can find at
          > http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/History_of_Elven_writing_systems
          >
          > AFAIK it's the only document that discusses each cirth
          > mode indepedently

          If you'd prefer Tolkien's own work: in Treason of Isengard, there is a
          good piece of work on Runes, and of course, the Appendix E of the LotR.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 18 2:07 AM
            > If you'd prefer Tolkien's own work: in Treason of
            > Isengard, there is a
            > good piece of work on Runes, and of course, the
            > Appendix E of the LotR.

            but the 'runes of pengolodh' belong to a different
            stage of conception?

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 18 3:29 AM
              > > If you'd prefer Tolkien's own work: in Treason of
              > > Isengard, there is a
              > > good piece of work on Runes, and of course, the
              > > Appendix E of the LotR.
              >
              > but the 'runes of pengolodh' belong to a different
              > stage of conception?

              You mean the 'Alphabet of [Pengolod >] Dairon' [sic]? I am not sure
              what stage this is but it is for sure a good basis and primer for
              learning Cirth, if not a prime source together with examples seen in
              the LotR (for more info see http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/mdics.html).
            • Fradeve Virgilio
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 20 1:16 PM
                Oh, thanks!