Silent _e_ in _-ed_ [was: Re: just a small request]

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...>
      wrote:
      > The words _emerged_ and _seared_ are tricky: I think we can't tell
      > from the few attested samples whether the _e_ in the ending _-ed_
      > should be written with the normal e-tehta or with the dot below. In
      > DTS 10, there's an instance (of _complicated_) with a dot below, but
      > in DTS 13, there are two instances (of _rescued_ and of _barred_)
      > with a normal e-sign. The spelling of DTS 13, however, is less
      > reliable, since that text is a typical example that dwarves are not
      > very fond of orthography as Tolkien pointed out in the essay _Of
      > Dwarves and Men_ (published in _The Peoples of Middle-earth_).

      In DTS 10, there are 'two styles of Elvish script' as Tolkien himself
      wrote: a tehta mode and a full mode. In the tehta mode, the silent E
      in _complicated_ is written as a dot above (in this specimen, Is are
      written with an accute accent, Es are written with a dot), i.e. it is
      written as a normal e-sign, in the full mode it is however written as
      a dot below, i.e. not as a 'regular' e-sign in a full mode (which
      would be yanta). And yet, in other full mode examples (DTS 18
      _lived_, DTS 20 _stayed_ and _purchased_, DTS 24 _deceived_ etc.) the
      silent E is not expressed at all. It is my impression then that
      Tolkien was maybe influenced by the pronunciation - while the silent
      E in _complicated_ is actually not silent since we need to pronounce
      T and D one after another and thus we say [komplikeitid], all other
      examples found include the 'real' silent E that is not in fact
      pronounced.

      And, here is the summary of silent Es in Tom Bombadil's Inscription
      (DTS 17, 18) and DTS 16:
      DTS 16
      gilded - short carrier with a dot (i.e. a normal I-sing in this mode)
      perfumed - no sign
      called - no sign

      DTS 17/18:
      nodded - short carrier with a dot
      lived - no sign
      dangled - dot in lambe
      noted - short carrier with a dot
      draggled - dot in lambe
      trapped - no sign

      I think a line could be seen here, what do you think?

      Lucy
    • j_mach_wust
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005

        > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > The words _emerged_ and _seared_ are tricky: I think we can't tell
        > > from the few attested samples whether the _e_ in the ending _-ed_
        > > should be written with the normal e-tehta or with the dot below.
        > > In DTS 10, there's an instance (of _complicated_) with a dot
        > > below, but in DTS 13, there are two instances (of _rescued_ and of
        > > _barred_) with a normal e-sign. The spelling of DTS 13, however,
        > > is less reliable, since that text is a typical example that
        > > dwarves are not very fond of orthography as Tolkien pointed out in
        > > the essay _Of Dwarves and Men_ (published in _The Peoples of
        > > Middle-earth_).
        >
        > In DTS 10, there are 'two styles of Elvish script' as Tolkien
        > himself wrote: a tehta mode and a full mode. In the tehta mode, the
        > silent E in _complicated_ is written as a dot above (in this
        > specimen, Is are written with an accute accent, Es are written with
        > a dot), i.e. it is written as a normal e-sign, in the full mode it
        > is however written as a dot below, i.e. not as a 'regular' e-sign in
        > a full mode (which would be yanta).

        Thanks for pointing that out! I had overlooked it.

        > And yet, in other full mode
        > examples (DTS 18 _lived_, DTS 20 _stayed_ and _purchased_, DTS 24
        > _deceived_ etc.) the silent E is not expressed at all. It is my
        > impression then that Tolkien was maybe influenced by the
        > pronunciation - while the silent E in _complicated_ is actually not
        > silent since we need to pronounce T and D one after another and thus
        > we say [komplikeitid], all other examples found include the 'real'
        > silent E that is not in fact pronounced.

        DTS 16, 17, 18, 23 (not 20 as you've mistakenly written) and 24 are
        another issue since they represent phonemic modes, and not
        orthographic modes. As far as I know, the only orthographic mode
        samples are the ones of DTS 10 and 13.

        I think we don't have enouth samples to decide on this issue. Three
        samples show a normal e-letter, while one shows the dot below, but two
        of the three are in the orthographically defective specimen of DTS 13.

        I like your hypothesis.