Re: just a small request

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 7, 2005
      Ling wrote:
      >I don't have it uploaded, but the sentence is: 'Out of suffering
      have
      >emerged the strongest sould, the most vibrant spirits are seared
      with
      >scars.'
      >Thank you!

      I suppose that the _sould_ [sic] is in fact _souls_. I have uploaded
      a file with the transcription in a 'Common mode', orthographic style.
      I'd like to ask you, dear elflingers, to double check it.

      And, I'd like to note that I had problems with putting the underdot
      for a silent E under the tengwa rómen (the underwave shows in its
      stead), and with putting the underbar for doubling the formen tengwa
      (in _suffering_) - I had to put the underwave (the under U-tehta
      shows in its stead). I don't know whether it's a problem of my
      computer only or the .pdf keyboard guide within the Tengwar Annatar
      font package includes some slight mistakes - could anyone re-check
      it, please? Thanks a lot!

      Lucy
    • j_mach_wust
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 7, 2005

        > Ling wrote:
        > > 'Out of suffering have emerged the strongest sould, the most
        > > vibrant spirits are seared with scars.'
        >
        > I suppose that the _sould_ [sic] is in fact _souls_. I have uploaded
        > a file with the transcription in a 'Common mode', orthographic
        > style. I'd like to ask you, dear elflingers, to double check it.

        The words _emerged_ and _seared_ are tricky: I think we can't tell
        from the few attested samples whether the _e_ in the ending _-ed_
        should be written with the normal e-tehta or with the dot below. In
        DTS 10, there's an instance (of _complicated_) with a dot below, but
        in DTS 13, there are two instances (of _rescued_ and of _barred_) with
        a normal e-sign. The spelling of DTS 13, however, is less reliable,
        since that text is a typical example that dwarves are not very fond of
        orthography as Tolkien pointed out in the essay _Of Dwarves and Men_
        (published in _The Peoples of Middle-earth_).

        I would go for a dot below in _emerged_ because this is based on the
        word _emerge_ which is written with dot below. I'm not so sure in the
        case of _seared_. The _e_ is silent, so a dot below would be okay, I
        guess.

        In _spirits_, a rómen would be more appropiate, since a vowel is
        following, whereas it's the other way round in the two words _are
        seared_ (the silent _e_ doesn't count).

        _Strongest_ might perhaps be written with ungwe + bar above instead of
        nwalme... but nwalme is perhaps better, since _strong_ is written with
        nwalme.

        > And, I'd like to note that I had problems with putting the underdot
        > for a silent E under the tengwa rómen (the underwave shows in its
        > stead), and with putting the underbar for doubling the formen tengwa
        > (in _suffering_) - I had to put the underwave (the under U-tehta
        > shows in its stead). I don't know whether it's a problem of my
        > computer only or the .pdf keyboard guide within the Tengwar Annatar
        > font package includes some slight mistakes - could anyone re-check
        > it, please? Thanks a lot!

        Tengwar Annatar works fine for me. Could it be that the program you
        were using was correcting you? Some programs do that (Microsoft Word
        for instance -- it's always the first thing I switch off).

      • Ling Flygirl
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2005
          Thanks so much for all your help, you guys are great, and what I had on my
          own computer is almost identical, it is good to know that I am on the right
          track! I'm going to take some things over to my tattoo artist in a few days
          and I promise to share a picture of the finished piece!

          Ling

          >Message: 2
          > Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:51:11 -0000
          > From: "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@...>
          >Subject: Re: just a small request

          <SNIP>
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...>
            wrote:
            > The words _emerged_ and _seared_ are tricky: I think we can't tell
            > from the few attested samples whether the _e_ in the ending _-ed_
            > should be written with the normal e-tehta or with the dot below. In
            > DTS 10, there's an instance (of _complicated_) with a dot below, but
            > in DTS 13, there are two instances (of _rescued_ and of _barred_)
            > with a normal e-sign. The spelling of DTS 13, however, is less
            > reliable, since that text is a typical example that dwarves are not
            > very fond of orthography as Tolkien pointed out in the essay _Of
            > Dwarves and Men_ (published in _The Peoples of Middle-earth_).

            In DTS 10, there are 'two styles of Elvish script' as Tolkien himself
            wrote: a tehta mode and a full mode. In the tehta mode, the silent E
            in _complicated_ is written as a dot above (in this specimen, Is are
            written with an accute accent, Es are written with a dot), i.e. it is
            written as a normal e-sign, in the full mode it is however written as
            a dot below, i.e. not as a 'regular' e-sign in a full mode (which
            would be yanta). And yet, in other full mode examples (DTS 18
            _lived_, DTS 20 _stayed_ and _purchased_, DTS 24 _deceived_ etc.) the
            silent E is not expressed at all. It is my impression then that
            Tolkien was maybe influenced by the pronunciation - while the silent
            E in _complicated_ is actually not silent since we need to pronounce
            T and D one after another and thus we say [komplikeitid], all other
            examples found include the 'real' silent E that is not in fact
            pronounced.

            And, here is the summary of silent Es in Tom Bombadil's Inscription
            (DTS 17, 18) and DTS 16:
            DTS 16
            gilded - short carrier with a dot (i.e. a normal I-sing in this mode)
            perfumed - no sign
            called - no sign

            DTS 17/18:
            nodded - short carrier with a dot
            lived - no sign
            dangled - dot in lambe
            noted - short carrier with a dot
            draggled - dot in lambe
            trapped - no sign

            I think a line could be seen here, what do you think?

            Lucy
          • j_mach_wust
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 13, 2005

              > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > The words _emerged_ and _seared_ are tricky: I think we can't tell
              > > from the few attested samples whether the _e_ in the ending _-ed_
              > > should be written with the normal e-tehta or with the dot below.
              > > In DTS 10, there's an instance (of _complicated_) with a dot
              > > below, but in DTS 13, there are two instances (of _rescued_ and of
              > > _barred_) with a normal e-sign. The spelling of DTS 13, however,
              > > is less reliable, since that text is a typical example that
              > > dwarves are not very fond of orthography as Tolkien pointed out in
              > > the essay _Of Dwarves and Men_ (published in _The Peoples of
              > > Middle-earth_).
              >
              > In DTS 10, there are 'two styles of Elvish script' as Tolkien
              > himself wrote: a tehta mode and a full mode. In the tehta mode, the
              > silent E in _complicated_ is written as a dot above (in this
              > specimen, Is are written with an accute accent, Es are written with
              > a dot), i.e. it is written as a normal e-sign, in the full mode it
              > is however written as a dot below, i.e. not as a 'regular' e-sign in
              > a full mode (which would be yanta).

              Thanks for pointing that out! I had overlooked it.

              > And yet, in other full mode
              > examples (DTS 18 _lived_, DTS 20 _stayed_ and _purchased_, DTS 24
              > _deceived_ etc.) the silent E is not expressed at all. It is my
              > impression then that Tolkien was maybe influenced by the
              > pronunciation - while the silent E in _complicated_ is actually not
              > silent since we need to pronounce T and D one after another and thus
              > we say [komplikeitid], all other examples found include the 'real'
              > silent E that is not in fact pronounced.

              DTS 16, 17, 18, 23 (not 20 as you've mistakenly written) and 24 are
              another issue since they represent phonemic modes, and not
              orthographic modes. As far as I know, the only orthographic mode
              samples are the ones of DTS 10 and 13.

              I think we don't have enouth samples to decide on this issue. Three
              samples show a normal e-letter, while one shows the dot below, but two
              of the three are in the orthographically defective specimen of DTS 13.

              I like your hypothesis.