Re: Name translation

  • Raewen Silverfang
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2005
      First off, I never said that as soon as I had approval from one
      person on this message board I was going to run out and get this
      tattooed. I'm doing my research, looking through different sources,
      and not necessarily going on what I've read from one person's web
      site. I'd be an idiot to run out and get it tattooed as soon as
      someone on the internet that I've never talked to before writes "Yep,
      looks good!". I understand where you're coming from but I came here
      seeking help, not condescending attacks.

      "Do you really beleive that Tolkien sat behind his desk
      and "translated" or "adatpted" the entire list of thousand English
      Names and Surnames into his languages you ahve seen ?" -- No, I was
      quite aware that it was written by a Tolkien fan and had it been
      written by Tolkien himself, I would have had no need to come to this
      message board for opinions. Unlike you seem to think, not everyone
      on this board is out to get me. There are plenty of people who are
      very knowledgable about the languages. And no, I didn't just run out
      and see the movies and said "I want a tattoo in Elvish!". I've read
      the books multiple times and have been a fan for years. I've also
      contemplated the tattoo for years and am just attempting to get some
      opinions. I don't wish to continue this any further so I'm ending
      this here.

      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:

      > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Raewen Silverfang"
      <burnt_cupcake@h...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm just double-checking to make sure I've got my English first
      and
      > > middle names correctly translated in Sindarin as I plan to have
      this
      > > tattooed. My English name is Christina Marie and translated I
      came up
      > > with Elpinoine Nilde. Correct or have I made a mistake? Any
      help is
      > > much appreciated!
      >

      > Do you really beleive that Tolkien sat behind his desk
      and "translated" or "adatpted"
      > the entire list of thousand English Names and Surnames into his
      languages you ahve
      > seen ?
      >
      > Would you beleive if a dude on the street would approch you and
      say :

      > -- Hey babe, I know all the English names as they are in Elvish.
      Yea, the true Elvish
      > made up by Tolkien. I speak it alla right ! Here take my list it is
      a good one. And I
      > know every thing about Elvish, just ask me!
      >
      > Would you beleive the dude ?
      >
      > How come that you beleive a thing just because a dude on Internet
      has written about
      > an Elvish name "Elpinoine Nilde".
      >
      > Try to think... Could it be that no one have ever published a book
      about Tolkien's
      > Elvish names yet ? Are those who answer me more informed about
      Elvish that me ?
      > Could it be that they just "kinds" toying and playing a game with
      me (like "pretending
      > they know Elvish as good as I know English) ? Could it be ?
      >
      > Try, and then tatoo anything you like on any part of you body you
      think is best.

      > ejk
    • j_mach_wust
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 2, 2005
        <burnt_cupcake@h...> wrote:

        > First off, I never said that as soon as I had approval from one
        > person on this message board I was going to run out and get this
        > tattooed. I'm doing my research, looking through different sources,
        > and not necessarily going on what I've read from one person's web
        > site. I'd be an idiot to run out and get it tattooed as soon as
        > someone on the internet that I've never talked to before writes "Yep,
        > looks good!". I understand where you're coming from but I came here
        > seeking help, not condescending attacks.

        I'm sorry you've stepped on him; unfortunately, he does that from time
        to time.

        To work out a translation, you may get more help on
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/ since this list is only about
        the scripts (theoretically), not about the languages - so you will be
        more on-topic once you've chosen a precise wording and work on the
        transcription into Elvish script. As I don't know much about Elvish
        languages, I use to advise to transcribe rather an English language
        sentence than an Elvish language sentence.

      • Raewen Silverfang
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 2, 2005
          Thanks very much for the link, it's much appreciated. I was pointed
          to this message board by a friend but makes sense I should be over
          there instead of on a script message board :) As for my last message,
          I wasn't trying to get an argument started so I apologize if what I
          wrote seemed a bit hostile. Thanks again.

          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...>