Re: Name translation

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1 9:52 AM
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Raewen Silverfang" <burnt_cupcake@h...>
      wrote:

      > I'm just double-checking to make sure I've got my English first and
      > middle names correctly translated in Sindarin as I plan to have this
      > tattooed. My English name is Christina Marie and translated I came up
      > with Elpinoine Nilde. Correct or have I made a mistake? Any help is
      > much appreciated!

      Do you really beleive that Tolkien sat behind his desk and "translated" or "adatpted"
      the entire list of thousand English Names and Surnames into his languages you ahve
      seen ?

      Would you beleive if a dude on the street would approch you and say :

      -- Hey babe, I know all the English names as they are in Elvish. Yea, the true Elvish
      made up by Tolkien. I speak it alla right ! Here take my list it is a good one. And I
      know every thing about Elvish, just ask me!

      Would you beleive the dude ?

      How come that you beleive a thing just because a dude on Internet has written about
      an Elvish name "Elpinoine Nilde".

      Try to think... Could it be that no one have ever published a book about Tolkien's
      Elvish names yet ? Are those who answer me more informed about Elvish that me ?
      Could it be that they just "kinds" toying and playing a game with me (like "pretending
      they know Elvish as good as I know English) ? Could it be ?

      Try, and then tatoo anything you like on any part of you body you think is best.

      ejk
    • Raewen Silverfang
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1 3:17 PM
        First off, I never said that as soon as I had approval from one
        person on this message board I was going to run out and get this
        tattooed. I'm doing my research, looking through different sources,
        and not necessarily going on what I've read from one person's web
        site. I'd be an idiot to run out and get it tattooed as soon as
        someone on the internet that I've never talked to before writes "Yep,
        looks good!". I understand where you're coming from but I came here
        seeking help, not condescending attacks.

        "Do you really beleive that Tolkien sat behind his desk
        and "translated" or "adatpted" the entire list of thousand English
        Names and Surnames into his languages you ahve seen ?" -- No, I was
        quite aware that it was written by a Tolkien fan and had it been
        written by Tolkien himself, I would have had no need to come to this
        message board for opinions. Unlike you seem to think, not everyone
        on this board is out to get me. There are plenty of people who are
        very knowledgable about the languages. And no, I didn't just run out
        and see the movies and said "I want a tattoo in Elvish!". I've read
        the books multiple times and have been a fan for years. I've also
        contemplated the tattoo for years and am just attempting to get some
        opinions. I don't wish to continue this any further so I'm ending
        this here.

        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:

        > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Raewen Silverfang"
        <burnt_cupcake@h...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm just double-checking to make sure I've got my English first
        and
        > > middle names correctly translated in Sindarin as I plan to have
        this
        > > tattooed. My English name is Christina Marie and translated I
        came up
        > > with Elpinoine Nilde. Correct or have I made a mistake? Any
        help is
        > > much appreciated!
        >

        > Do you really beleive that Tolkien sat behind his desk
        and "translated" or "adatpted"
        > the entire list of thousand English Names and Surnames into his
        languages you ahve
        > seen ?
        >
        > Would you beleive if a dude on the street would approch you and
        say :

        > -- Hey babe, I know all the English names as they are in Elvish.
        Yea, the true Elvish
        > made up by Tolkien. I speak it alla right ! Here take my list it is
        a good one. And I
        > know every thing about Elvish, just ask me!
        >
        > Would you beleive the dude ?
        >
        > How come that you beleive a thing just because a dude on Internet
        has written about
        > an Elvish name "Elpinoine Nilde".
        >
        > Try to think... Could it be that no one have ever published a book
        about Tolkien's
        > Elvish names yet ? Are those who answer me more informed about
        Elvish that me ?
        > Could it be that they just "kinds" toying and playing a game with
        me (like "pretending
        > they know Elvish as good as I know English) ? Could it be ?
        >
        > Try, and then tatoo anything you like on any part of you body you
        think is best.

        > ejk
      • j_mach_wust
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 2 2:58 AM
          <burnt_cupcake@h...> wrote:

          > First off, I never said that as soon as I had approval from one
          > person on this message board I was going to run out and get this
          > tattooed. I'm doing my research, looking through different sources,
          > and not necessarily going on what I've read from one person's web
          > site. I'd be an idiot to run out and get it tattooed as soon as
          > someone on the internet that I've never talked to before writes "Yep,
          > looks good!". I understand where you're coming from but I came here
          > seeking help, not condescending attacks.

          I'm sorry you've stepped on him; unfortunately, he does that from time
          to time.

          To work out a translation, you may get more help on
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/ since this list is only about
          the scripts (theoretically), not about the languages - so you will be
          more on-topic once you've chosen a precise wording and work on the
          transcription into Elvish script. As I don't know much about Elvish
          languages, I use to advise to transcribe rather an English language
          sentence than an Elvish language sentence.

        • Raewen Silverfang
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 2 11:43 AM
            Thanks very much for the link, it's much appreciated. I was pointed
            to this message board by a friend but makes sense I should be over
            there instead of on a script message board :) As for my last message,
            I wasn't trying to get an argument started so I apologize if what I
            wrote seemed a bit hostile. Thanks again.

            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...>