Re: Name translation

  • Raewen Silverfang
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 29, 2005
      That works out best for me as I prefer Quenya - I just noticed as I
      was looking up the middle name that the author mentioned Marie was in
      Sindarin, not Quenya. Here's what it says on the middle name:

      MARY, MARIA - perhaps Heb. 'bitterness'; sára "bitter", so Sáre or
      Sárie; I was suggested that Marie may also mean "frieng" (from
      Gaelic) which would be Nilde and Mellon in Sindarin

      Thanks much for your help! :)

      > > tattooed. My English name is Christina Marie and
      > > translated I came up
      > > with Elpinoine Nilde. Correct or have I made a
      > > mistake? Any help is
      > > much appreciated!
      >
      > The page you consulted is mostly acceptable, but they
      > are Quenya, not Sindarin :)

    • laurifindil
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1 9:52 AM
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Raewen Silverfang" <burnt_cupcake@h...>
        wrote:

        > I'm just double-checking to make sure I've got my English first and
        > middle names correctly translated in Sindarin as I plan to have this
        > tattooed. My English name is Christina Marie and translated I came up
        > with Elpinoine Nilde. Correct or have I made a mistake? Any help is
        > much appreciated!

        Do you really beleive that Tolkien sat behind his desk and "translated" or "adatpted"
        the entire list of thousand English Names and Surnames into his languages you ahve
        seen ?

        Would you beleive if a dude on the street would approch you and say :

        -- Hey babe, I know all the English names as they are in Elvish. Yea, the true Elvish
        made up by Tolkien. I speak it alla right ! Here take my list it is a good one. And I
        know every thing about Elvish, just ask me!

        Would you beleive the dude ?

        How come that you beleive a thing just because a dude on Internet has written about
        an Elvish name "Elpinoine Nilde".

        Try to think... Could it be that no one have ever published a book about Tolkien's
        Elvish names yet ? Are those who answer me more informed about Elvish that me ?
        Could it be that they just "kinds" toying and playing a game with me (like "pretending
        they know Elvish as good as I know English) ? Could it be ?

        Try, and then tatoo anything you like on any part of you body you think is best.

        ejk
      • Raewen Silverfang
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1 3:17 PM
          First off, I never said that as soon as I had approval from one
          person on this message board I was going to run out and get this
          tattooed. I'm doing my research, looking through different sources,
          and not necessarily going on what I've read from one person's web
          site. I'd be an idiot to run out and get it tattooed as soon as
          someone on the internet that I've never talked to before writes "Yep,
          looks good!". I understand where you're coming from but I came here
          seeking help, not condescending attacks.

          "Do you really beleive that Tolkien sat behind his desk
          and "translated" or "adatpted" the entire list of thousand English
          Names and Surnames into his languages you ahve seen ?" -- No, I was
          quite aware that it was written by a Tolkien fan and had it been
          written by Tolkien himself, I would have had no need to come to this
          message board for opinions. Unlike you seem to think, not everyone
          on this board is out to get me. There are plenty of people who are
          very knowledgable about the languages. And no, I didn't just run out
          and see the movies and said "I want a tattoo in Elvish!". I've read
          the books multiple times and have been a fan for years. I've also
          contemplated the tattoo for years and am just attempting to get some
          opinions. I don't wish to continue this any further so I'm ending
          this here.

          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:

          > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Raewen Silverfang"
          <burnt_cupcake@h...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm just double-checking to make sure I've got my English first
          and
          > > middle names correctly translated in Sindarin as I plan to have
          this
          > > tattooed. My English name is Christina Marie and translated I
          came up
          > > with Elpinoine Nilde. Correct or have I made a mistake? Any
          help is
          > > much appreciated!
          >

          > Do you really beleive that Tolkien sat behind his desk
          and "translated" or "adatpted"
          > the entire list of thousand English Names and Surnames into his
          languages you ahve
          > seen ?
          >
          > Would you beleive if a dude on the street would approch you and
          say :

          > -- Hey babe, I know all the English names as they are in Elvish.
          Yea, the true Elvish
          > made up by Tolkien. I speak it alla right ! Here take my list it is
          a good one. And I
          > know every thing about Elvish, just ask me!
          >
          > Would you beleive the dude ?
          >
          > How come that you beleive a thing just because a dude on Internet
          has written about
          > an Elvish name "Elpinoine Nilde".
          >
          > Try to think... Could it be that no one have ever published a book
          about Tolkien's
          > Elvish names yet ? Are those who answer me more informed about
          Elvish that me ?
          > Could it be that they just "kinds" toying and playing a game with
          me (like "pretending
          > they know Elvish as good as I know English) ? Could it be ?
          >
          > Try, and then tatoo anything you like on any part of you body you
          think is best.

          > ejk
        • j_mach_wust
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 2 2:58 AM
            <burnt_cupcake@h...> wrote:

            > First off, I never said that as soon as I had approval from one
            > person on this message board I was going to run out and get this
            > tattooed. I'm doing my research, looking through different sources,
            > and not necessarily going on what I've read from one person's web
            > site. I'd be an idiot to run out and get it tattooed as soon as
            > someone on the internet that I've never talked to before writes "Yep,
            > looks good!". I understand where you're coming from but I came here
            > seeking help, not condescending attacks.

            I'm sorry you've stepped on him; unfortunately, he does that from time
            to time.

            To work out a translation, you may get more help on
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elfling/ since this list is only about
            the scripts (theoretically), not about the languages - so you will be
            more on-topic once you've chosen a precise wording and work on the
            transcription into Elvish script. As I don't know much about Elvish
            languages, I use to advise to transcribe rather an English language
            sentence than an Elvish language sentence.

          • Raewen Silverfang
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 2 11:43 AM
              Thanks very much for the link, it's much appreciated. I was pointed
              to this message board by a friend but makes sense I should be over
              there instead of on a script message board :) As for my last message,
              I wasn't trying to get an argument started so I apologize if what I
              wrote seemed a bit hostile. Thanks again.

              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...>