Re: transcription of the poem Errantry / syllabicity vs. schwa

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2005
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "hisilome" <david.vdpeet@m...> wrote:

      > And the fact that he uses no syllabicity dot corroborates my point
      > that Tolkien interprets the sound in _search_ as a vowel (schwa) ,
      > whereas you quoted the word _search_ as seen in DTS 24 as a an
      > indicator that Tolkien "preferred the interpretation of _retURn_ as
      > a 'long _syllabic_ r'".>>

      I think I see now where we defer: I call the sound of _turn_ a
      syllabic r, but you call it a schwa. Make sure you won't confuse it
      with the other schwa, since these are never spelt the same in
      Tolkien's phonemic tengwar texts.

      As I've said, óre is rather a defective vowel, especially in a tehtar
      mode since I see no way how we could represent it with a tehta. So I
      prefer to call the sound represented by óre a _syllabic r_ in order to
      avoid confusion with the schwa (and in order not to exclude those who
      speak rhotic varieties of English).