Thanks calwen76

  • pengrons_friend
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22, 2005
      Hi,

      Just wanted to say again Thankyou for you advice- I transcribed a
      *revised* translation into the Mode of Beleriand and then downloaded
      the Tengwar Annatar file you gave me a link to and...it works! The
      Tengwar transcription was the same the one I'd tried to do, and it
      has the Tehtar.

      I have, however, kept the phrase in Sindarin- not in English as you
      sugested. Is that such a bad idea?

      I'd like to double-check my translation now, but I'm supposed to do
      that in elfling, right? I'm just a little self-conscious.

      Thankyou.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 22, 2005
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "pengrons_friend"
        <pengrons_friend@y...> wrote:
        > Just wanted to say again Thankyou for you advice- I transcribed a
        > *revised* translation into the Mode of Beleriand and then
        > downloaded the Tengwar Annatar file you gave me a link to and...it
        > works! The Tengwar transcription was the same the one I'd tried to
        > do, and it has the Tehtar.

        Hi,
        that's great!

        > I have, however, kept the phrase in Sindarin- not in English as you
        > sugested. Is that such a bad idea?

        Well, there are two quite big and serious reasons for keeping the
        sentence in English and having the English sentence transcribed:
        1) Sindarin is a quite poorely attested language (for such purpose -
        translation of a somehow 'normal' sentence from a living language);
        the translation is not Sindarin but the so-called Neo-Sindarin, it
        means there is no (by my opinion sufficient) certainty of its
        correctness; and as you can see, there are always different opinions
        about the matter (I don't agree with the translation,
        but there are some students who do agree - and here, I think, it
        doesn't matter how the person is advanced).
        2) The Tengwar for English itself is much much more attested and
        known than the one for Sindarin so we would be able to support the
        transcription by more examples that Prof. Tolkien left behind.

        > I'd like to double-check my translation now, but I'm supposed to do
        > that in elfling, right? I'm just a little self-conscious.

        Yes, all that concerns the languages themselves -> Elfling, all that
        concerns the writing systems (Tenwar, Cirth) -> Elfscript. :)