Inscription Verification

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9 9:05 PM
      Hello all,

      I was looking to get an inscription of the phrase "Bound in eternal
      friendship and love, until the end of all things" done on my
      fiancee's and my own wedding rings (I know that's realllllly long
      and might not fit on a ring, but I still need to talk to the
      jeweler). I've looked all over for the proper translations of the
      words and the closest I could get was (in Quenya) "Nauta mi oira
      nilmë ar melmë, tenna i ilqua mentë". So yeah, before
      anything
      literally get set in stone, I wanted to make sure it was right.

      Also, the inscription will be done in a Tengwar Cursive font, which
      can be seen in the file "Inscription Verification.jpg" that I just
      uploaded to the group. The first is in the Tehta Mode for English
      and the second is in Quenya. The English one I *think* looks
      right...but I am no more than a novice at best with the
      translations. The Quenya translation I am very unsure about, but
      hopefully someone can provide some insight.

      I appreciate any and all help, suggestions, corrections, etc. that
      anyone might be able to provide.

      Best wishes,
      -Sean
    • Sean
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9 9:07 PM
        Correction on the file...it is "Inscription.jpg" not "Inscription
        Verification.jpg"

        Thanks!
        -Sean

        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Sean" <sypher309@y...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I was looking to get an inscription of the phrase "Bound in
        eternal
        > friendship and love, until the end of all things" done on my
        > fiancee's and my own wedding rings (I know that's realllllly long
        > and might not fit on a ring, but I still need to talk to the
        > jeweler). I've looked all over for the proper translations of the
        > words and the closest I could get was (in Quenya) "Nauta mi oira
        > nilmë ar melmë, tenna i ilqua mentë". So yeah, before
        > anything
        > literally get set in stone, I wanted to make sure it was right.
        >
        > Also, the inscription will be done in a Tengwar Cursive font,
        which
        > can be seen in the file "Inscription Verification.jpg" that I just
        > uploaded to the group. The first is in the Tehta Mode for English
        > and the second is in Quenya. The English one I *think* looks
        > right...but I am no more than a novice at best with the
        > translations. The Quenya translation I am very unsure about, but
        > hopefully someone can provide some insight.
        >
        > I appreciate any and all help, suggestions, corrections, etc. that
        > anyone might be able to provide.
        >
        > Best wishes,
        > -Sean
      • i_degilbor
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 9 10:58 PM
          Teithant Sean:
          > The first is in the Tehta Mode for English
          > and the second is in Quenya. The English one I *think* looks
          > right...but I am no more than a novice at best with the
          > translations. The Quenya translation I am very unsure about, but
          > hopefully someone can provide some insight.

          I would do a few things differently in the English version:
          http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL164/1356691/6139547/88533301.jpg

          I would strongly recommend having your Quenya translation checked on
          Elfling before transcribing it into tengwar.

          Cuio mae, Danny.
        • Harri Perälä
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 11 5:13 AM
            i_degilbor wrote:
            > Teithant Sean:
            >>The English one I *think* looks
            >>right...but I am no more than a novice at best with the
            >>translations.
            >
            > I would do a few things differently in the English version:
            > http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL164/1356691/6139547/88533301.jpg

            Also, don't use Tengwar Cursive. It is too incomplete to work correctly
            with transcriber programs. In your original transcription, a tilde or
            bar was missing in "all", presumably because of this reason. As you can
            see in Danny's version, Tengwar Annatar italic looks better, and besides
            that, it contains all the characters you will need.

            Harri Perälä
          • Sean
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 11 2:44 PM
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Harri Perälä <harri.perala@l...>
              wrote:
              > i_degilbor wrote:
              > > Teithant Sean:
              > >>The English one I *think* looks
              > >>right...but I am no more than a novice at best with the
              > >>translations.
              > >
              > > I would do a few things differently in the English version:
              > > http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL164/1356691/6139547/88533301.jpg
              >
              > Also, don't use Tengwar Cursive. It is too incomplete to work
              correctly
              > with transcriber programs. In your original transcription, a tilde
              or
              > bar was missing in "all", presumably because of this reason. As
              you can
              > see in Danny's version, Tengwar Annatar italic looks better, and
              besides
              > that, it contains all the characters you will need.
              >
              > Harri Perälä

              Ahh, thank you much for that suggestion. I thought those bars
              looked funny, I'll try out the Tengwar Annatar now. I'll ask about
              the Quenya translation over at elfling. Thanks again to both of you
              for the help.
              -Sean