Vedui'

  • agreatcamper
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2002
      Quel re! I'm Laurice from the Philippines. I have been a fan of the
      books for almost a year only but have taken a liking to the Elvish
      language. As of now, I know only basic Elvish phrases like diola lle,
      lle creoso, amin mela lle, quel re/amrun/undome, and namaarie. I hope
      to be a part of this group so as to share & learn anything that I
      could.

      Tenna'san'
      Laurice :)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 12, 2002

        teithant agreatcamper

        > Quel re! I'm Laurice from the Philippines.  I have been a fan of the
        books for almost a year only but have taken a liking to the Elvish
        language. As of now, I know only basic Elvish phrases like diola lle,
        lle creoso, amin mela lle, quel re/amrun/undome, and namaarie. I hope
        to be a part of this group so as to share & learn anything that I
        could.

        * mae govannen, Laurice... I have to inform you that the strange Elvish language you already know is none the Elvish languages of Lord of the Rings and Tolkien.

        However it would be nice for you to know that vedui means "last" in Sindarin, and namaarie means "farewell" in Quenya, so if you are interested to learn "Lord of the Rings elvish" it would be best to forget what you have learnt from that site.

        A good starting point is http://move.to/ardalambion

        and i must say, this list discusses only the writing systems, that means tengwar and runes of the elves, not their languages and grammar. I advice you that you look to the Elfling mailing list of Yahoogroups (there is a link to there from Ardalambion)

      • Cristine Easterby
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 14, 2003
          Mae govannen il'er,
          I am still fighting with Quenya vs Sindarian, which would you
          consider the easiest to learn and actually pronounce !!!!! I quite
          fancy Teleri too, as I love the Vanyar, who I believe, being of
          Teleri descent may well have spoken this language ?
          namarie,
          Elwing Vanimedle
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 14, 2003
            teithant Cristine Easterby

            > Mae govannen il'er,

            'mae govannen' is very correctly Sindarin, 'vedui' and
            'il'er' is 'Grelvish'

            > I am still fighting with Quenya vs Sindarian, which
            > would you
            > consider the easiest to learn and actually pronounce
            > !!!!!

            hm.. if you fight with the dictionary and grammar from
            the 'Grey Company' or 'Tel'Mithrim' you won't go very
            far as long as Tolkien's languages are concerned

            i suggest you delete these documents if you are
            interested in TOLKIEN'S LANGUAGES

            (and the name is Sindarin, not Sindarian)

            > I quite
            > fancy Teleri too, as I love the Vanyar, who I
            > believe, being of
            > Teleri descent may well have spoken this language ?

            um... no, in Valinor there were Vanyar, Noldor, and
            Teleri, each being a different tribe.. the Teleri
            spoke Telerin, and Vanyar and Noldor spoke Quenya
            (with some differences)

            i also advise to join the Elfling list.. this list
            (called Elfscript) is for the Elvish WRITING SYSTEMS,
            not the languages themselves

            i also advise you visit
            http://gildor.freepage.gr/tolkien/faq.htm and
            http://www.ardalambion.com..