translation confirmation

  • jackie
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 10, 2005
      i was apparently misinformed about the symbols thing,
      and perhaps i just assumed it was accurate because of
      the way most languages historically developed. thanks
      for putting up with all my stupid questions.

      now one more: the main focus of my research is a
      tattoo i'm getting. from what i've been able to
      surmise, "air�" is quenya for ocean or inner seas of
      ME. in quenya script, it looks like the attached
      picture. i'm just looking for a confirmation that i
      did this right; i'm not very skilled in linguistics.
      thanks for the help!

      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Gildor Inglorion
      <elfiness@y...> wrote:
      > no, AFAIK, all of the letters were designed
      according
      > to sounds and the position of the mouth.. the names
      > were added later, names that contained the sound the
      > letters represented
      >
      > it's indeed the other way round than the real
      alphabets

    • j_mach_wust
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 10, 2005
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, jackie <iamnotanemochick@y...> wrote:
        > i was apparently misinformed about the symbols thing,
        > and perhaps i just assumed it was accurate because of
        > the way most languages historically developed. thanks
        > for putting up with all my stupid questions.
        >
        > now one more: the main focus of my research is a
        > tattoo i'm getting. from what i've been able to
        > surmise, "air�" is quenya for ocean or inner seas of
        > ME. in quenya script, it looks like the attached
        > picture. i'm just looking for a confirmation that i
        > did this right; i'm not very skilled in linguistics.
        > thanks for the help!

        This yahoogroups doesn't allow any attachments, so you'd have to put
        the picture in the files or photos section. Alternatively, you can
        describe your transcription or if you've used a tengwar font, post
        what you've typed.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2005
          > > now one more: the main focus of my research is a
          > > tattoo i'm getting. from what i've been able to
          > > surmise, "airοΏ½" is quenya for ocean or inner
          > seas of
          > > ME. in quenya script, it looks like the attached
          > > picture. i'm just looking for a confirmation that
          > > did this right; i'm not very skilled in
          > linguistics.
          > > thanks for the help!

          hint: the result must look something like A with 3
          dots above, followed by y with an accent on it

        • jackie
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 11, 2005
            sorry about that! it is typed in tengwar font, but yahoo won't accept
            it. i've uploaded to the group files and titled it "aire".

            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...> wrote:

            > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, jackie <iamnotanemochick@y...> wrote:
            > > i was apparently misinformed about the symbols thing,
            > > and perhaps i just assumed it was accurate because of
            > > the way most languages historically developed. thanks
            > > for putting up with all my stupid questions.
            > >
            > > now one more: the main focus of my research is a
            > > tattoo i'm getting. from what i've been able to
            > > surmise, "air�" is quenya for ocean or inner seas of
            > > ME. in quenya script, it looks like the attached
            > > picture. i'm just looking for a confirmation that i
            > > did this right; i'm not very skilled in linguistics.
            > > thanks for the help!
            >
            > This yahoogroups doesn't allow any attachments, so you'd have to put
            > the picture in the files or photos section. Alternatively, you can
            > describe your transcription or if you've used a tengwar font, post
            > what you've typed.
            >
            > ---------------------------
            > j. 'mach' wust
            > http://machhezan.tripod.com
            > ---------------------------
          • Mike Adams
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 11, 2005
              Standard script/alphabet, came from most seem to see it came from
              Egyptian Heiroglyphs, if not in part. Apis the bull became Alif of
              Cannaanites and related Semite people, who simplified what was
              originally a picture writing, then ideas, then sylybles and sounds.

              The symbols simplified from a picture of a bull, to sticks basically
              and then moved around.. Along the way, it went from the people of
              Palestine area (Phonecians/Aramaic/Hebrew for example), to the Greeks.
              Greeks used to write left to right or right to left, or as they
              wanted.. Lettters changes shape and direction more..

              Greeks taught the Etruscans and Latins (Romans included). Or it was
              the Etruscans who taught them (The Latins).

              Runes and like came about likely due to adopting Greek or Latin
              characters, with a mix of maybe older forms (local?) and local wrting
              materials..

              Like how did pictures become the Cuniform (Wedgeshape) of the
              Sumerians/Akkadians/Persians/etc.

              Likely Cuniform had some influence also on Phonecians and like peoples
              writing, but not sure how much.. Same with influences from the Indus
              Valley/Harrapan civilization. Not sure how much.

              Cuniform also used by the Hittites, Hurrians and many others if I
              remember right.

              Oddly modern Hebrew is not based on ancient form (Script), but on an
              more open form from the Aramaic.

              wrote:
              > i was apparently misinformed about the symbols thing,
              > and perhaps i just assumed it was accurate because of
              > the way most languages historically developed. thanks
              > for putting up with all my stupid questions.
              >
              > now one more: the main focus of my research is a
              > tattoo i'm getting. from what i've been able to
              > surmise, "airë" is quenya for ocean or inner seas of
              > ME. in quenya script, it looks like the attached
              > picture. i'm just looking for a confirmation that i
              > did this right; i'm not very skilled in linguistics.
              > thanks for the help!
              >
              > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Gildor Inglorion
              > <elfiness@y...> wrote:
              > > no, AFAIK, all of the letters were designed
              > according
              > > to sounds and the position of the mouth.. the names
              > > were added later, names that contained the sound the
              > > letters represented
              > >
              > > it's indeed the other way round than the real
              > alphabets

            • Mike Adams
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 11, 2005
                Wasn't the letters of Sarati, not a alphabetical or like form of
                writing?

                Mike

                wrote:

                > This yahoogroups doesn't allow any attachments, so you'd have to put
                > the picture in the files or photos section. Alternatively, you can
                > describe your transcription or if you've used a tengwar font, post
                > what you've typed.
                >
                > ---------------------------
                > j. 'mach' wust
                > http://machhezan.tripod.com
                > ---------------------------
              • aphadiol
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 15, 2005
                  --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Adams" <michael.adams1@u...>
                  wrote:

                  > Wasn't the letters of Sarati, not a alphabetical or like form of
                  > writing?
                  >
                  > Mike

                  Well it depends what do you mean on "alphabetcisy" :)
                  Its arrangement was much like the tengwar, each 'sarat' had a
                  Consonant value while vowels vere indicated by signs somewhat like
                  the tehtar...