Checking translation

  • katter415
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2005
      Hey all, I am new here, was turned on to it by Tengwar in Reality
      website. I am getting a tattoo in Quenya with the tengwar font, but
      want to ensure my translation is right. I want it to say,
      basically "allow me to love hope and laugh" and i have gotten "Lavn
      melme estel ar lala" -- is it close? Also, is their another way of
      saying laugh beyond the way it is put here? As I understand this
      means something minorly derrogitory, let me know if I am mistaken :)
      Thanks for any help!
      Kathy
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2005
        > basically "allow me to love hope and laugh" and i
        > have gotten "Lavn
        > melme estel ar lala" -- is it close? Also, is their

        melme and estel are nouns, that means 'the love' and
        'the hope'... they are not verbs.. it's like saying 'i
        protection you' instead of 'i protect you'

        the verb love is mel-, the gerund (to love) is i guess
        melien

        for 'to hope' there is no verb attested, but some like
        to use the verb amatiir-, so 'to hope' could be
        amatiirien

        but where did you find lav ?

        > another way of
        > saying laugh beyond the way it is put here? As I
        > understand this
        > means something minorly derrogitory, let me know if
        > I am mistaken :)

        hm i don't remember reading something like that about lala-

      • katter415
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2005
          First, thanks so much!

          > but where did you find lav ?

          I found it in the dictionary reccommended by tengwar in reality, the
          link is: http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/wordlists.htm
          and I used the english-quenya dictionary. It said that allow (yield
          or grant) was lav- and then later to make the word reflexive, as in
          allow (yield or grant) me i would need to add the n at the end.

          Also, would I need to add the ien to lala- as well?
          Thanks again so much!!

          http://www.otenet.gr