need help! green as a leaf

  • mzagai
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2005
      hey there my name is moshe and i need your help,
      would you be kind enough to help me and translate the fallowing in to
      quenya in tengwar cursive lettering

      "till the dieing of the sun and the falling of the moon,
      to the bitter end, if bitter it may be."

      "remember, hold true ,spirit of fire."

      i've tried translating this my self and this is the best that i could
      come up with:

      "tenna i fire/firima/firie/firle OF i n´aira ar i lanta/lantie/lantale
      OF i r´ana,
      TO i s´ara tyela/metta/mettë/ambarmetta, aiqua/aiquen sa´ra sa hai/amen."

      "enyala, avatr anwa/sanda, feanáro"

      as you can see i had difficulties with the fallowing words:
      till, dieing, of, falling, to, end, may, it , be, true.

      i thank you in advance.

      please send me an email with your suggestion.
    • michael.adams1
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2005
        Ever notice that the Tengwar/Cirth grid can be over laid onto Japanese
        Syllybary (Katagana/KiraGana) and .. not sure.. got to do more work on
        it and see..

        Mike
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2005
          > Ever notice that the Tengwar/Cirth grid can be over
          > laid onto Japanese
          > Syllybary (Katagana/KiraGana) and .. not sure.. got
          > to do more work on
          > it and see..

          as well as devanagari, and linear b, and i am sure
          several others

          this is because the arrangement was phonetic..
          something that AFAIK the phoenicians (and romans,
          greeks, jews and arabs) didn't follow

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2005
            mzagai wrote:
            > hey there my name is moshe and i need your help,
            > would you be kind enough to help me and translate the fallowing in to
            > quenya in tengwar cursive lettering

            As a tip for all who seek help by email: if you feel you really need to
            send the same question simultaneously to a mailing list and some
            individual people, please explain that in your message. I received an
            identical message to my private email, with no indication that it had
            also been sent to Elfscript and presumably to other private addresses as
            well. If a question has already been answered on a list, I want to read
            the earlier replies before writing a long answer myself. (In this case
            it doesn't matter much, because I happen to read Elfscript, and also
            because I can't help with the translation.)

            About this question in particular: Elfscript is not really for
            discussing translations. You could try Elfling, although I believe they
            require a fairly serious attempt at studying the grammar before posting
            a translation attempt (see http://nellardo.com/lang/elf/faq.html#s0.4,
            how to write the final translation in tengwar is of course perfectly
            on-topic here.

            > please send me an email with your suggestion.

            Replying to the list is preferable, because of the reasons above. If the
            question is a FAQ with a well known answer, a private reply might make
            sense, but my impression is that usually everybody has a slightly
            different answer to transcription questions. Open discussion could at
            least detect some obvious errors.

            Harri Perälä