Re: All who wander are not lost: hwesta sindarinwa

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2005
      Dave 'Hísilómë' wrote:
      > Just one question I have though: is the hwesta sindarinwa for "wh"
      > as in "who" attested anywhere in Tolkien's orthographic English
      > tehtar mode samples?

      Yes it is, in DTS 36 and 37 (if I remember correctly, we all agreed at
      least on this in the recent debate).

      > I also
      > noticed that in your "classic" presentation of the orthographic
      > English tehtar mode in Elfscript #2525 you did assign no value to
      > hwesta sindarinwa, or elaborate on how English "wh" should be
      > spelled (of course "wh" can represent an "h"-sound as here in "who",
      > or much more often a "w"-sound as in "where, which, why, when,
      > whale, etc.", but this being an orthographic mode it would make
      > sense I think to use just one representation [otherwise, one might
      > maybe opt for vala for the "w"-sounds to distinguish them
      > phonetically]).

      One more reason why that old message of mine is not accurate! Hwesta
      sindarinwa in all cases, I'd say (just as every _g_ being represented
      by ungwe regardless of the pronunciation).

      > And about DTS10, line 4 "koNplekatid", the "e" and "i" should
      > really switch places (complicated), shouldn't they (reversed use of
      > dot/acute here :), the "N" I assume is used to indicate
      > "nasalization", regardless whether it's "n" or "m")?.

      That's a specialized transcription system I'm using for myself and
      which transcribes rather the form of the signs than their meaning, but
      keeping it as readable as possible (there are different versions for
      tehtar modes and full writing).