Re: R: [elfscript] On long vowels

  • hisilome
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005

      > also, Tolkien said that sometimes the dot is used for
      > e, and the acute for i, but i don't think he even
      > wrote texts in this 'alternative mode' (if he did,
      > they must have been few), but his son did. All the fan
      > tengwar texts i have seen, don't use this alternative
      > mode, although according to Tolkien it wouldn't be wrong

      An example where Tolkien (J.R.R., not Christopher) did represent "e"
      with the dot and "i" with the acute would be the Brogan Tengwar
      Greetings (the first of the two tengwar texts, which is written in an
      orthographic tehtar mode).

      Hísilómë
    • Fradeve Virgilio
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 8, 2005
        Aiya,

        first of all, thanks to Hísilómë, Gildor Inglorion, Calwen 76 and Danny.
        So, this unexpected clarification will permit me to terminate my work.
        I will use probably the “long carrier mode”, given that the “double tehta
        mode” had a complication:
        the vowel _a_ can’t be doubled on a tengwa (or on a carrier), since it’s
        composed by 3 dots.
        I think that the long carrier mode will be more clear and directly
        understandable and I want to unify
        the method I’ll use: probably writing all the long vowels but _a_ with
        double tehtar and only the _a_ with a long carrier could appear
        contradictory.
        So, long life to the “long carrier mode”! ;)

        Regards

        Fradeve V

        _____

        > also, Tolkien said that sometimes the dot is used for
        > e, and the acute for i, but i don't think he even
        > wrote texts in this 'alternative mode' (if he did,
        > they must have been few), but his son did. All the fan
        > tengwar texts i have seen, don't use this alternative
        > mode, although according to Tolkien it wouldn't be wrong

        An example where Tolkien (J.R.R., not Christopher) did represent "e"
        with the dot and "i" with the acute would be the Brogan Tengwar
        Greetings (the first of the two tengwar texts, which is written in an
        orthographic tehtar mode).

        Hísilómë

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • j_mach_wust
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 8, 2005
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Fradeve Virgilio" <fradeve11@v...>
          > the method I'll use: probably writing all the long vowels but _a_
          > with double tehtar and only the _a_ with a long carrier could appear
          > contradictory.

          This is attested in DTS 55. Even the i-tehta is doubled, even though
          app. E mentions only the doubling of the curls and the acute.

          Anyway, that specimen is not written very consistently: The a-tehta is
          sometimes written and sometimes not, and the sign for following y is
          sometimes written with two dots above (three times) and sometimes with
          three dots above (two times).

        • Fradeve Virgilio
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 14, 2005
            Lot of thanks for clarification: now I’m writing ALL long vowels on long
            carriers.
            I think it should be the most clear in direct method.

            Regards

            Fradeve V

            _____

            > the method I'll use: probably writing all the long vowels but _a_
            > with double tehtar and only the _a_ with a long carrier could appear
            > contradictory.

            This is attested in DTS 55. Even the i-tehta is doubled, even though
            app. E mentions only the doubling of the curls and the acute.

            Anyway, that specimen is not written very consistently: The a-tehta is
            sometimes written and sometimes not, and the sign for following y is
            sometimes written with two dots above (three times) and sometimes with
            three dots above (two times).

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ek1bpg/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705218811:HM/EXP=1107995367/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12k6cpgtr/*http:/clk.a
            tdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1107908967339508>

            <http://view.atdmt.com/NFX/view/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=110790
            8967339508>

            :HM/A=2532114/rand=783575183>

            _____