Re: R: [elfscript] On long vowels

  • i_degilbor
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005
      Teithant Gildor Inglorion:
      > also, Tolkien said that sometimes the dot is used for
      > e, and the acute for i, but i don't think he even
      > wrote texts in this 'alternative mode'

      There is at least one example of Tolkien using the dot for 'e' and
      the acute accent for 'i': the tehta mode version of the Brogan
      tengwa greeting (DTS 10).

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • hisilome
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 4, 2005

        > also, Tolkien said that sometimes the dot is used for
        > e, and the acute for i, but i don't think he even
        > wrote texts in this 'alternative mode' (if he did,
        > they must have been few), but his son did. All the fan
        > tengwar texts i have seen, don't use this alternative
        > mode, although according to Tolkien it wouldn't be wrong

        An example where Tolkien (J.R.R., not Christopher) did represent "e"
        with the dot and "i" with the acute would be the Brogan Tengwar
        Greetings (the first of the two tengwar texts, which is written in an
        orthographic tehtar mode).

        Hísilómë
      • Fradeve Virgilio
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 8, 2005
          Aiya,

          first of all, thanks to Hísilómë, Gildor Inglorion, Calwen 76 and Danny.
          So, this unexpected clarification will permit me to terminate my work.
          I will use probably the “long carrier mode”, given that the “double tehta
          mode” had a complication:
          the vowel _a_ can’t be doubled on a tengwa (or on a carrier), since it’s
          composed by 3 dots.
          I think that the long carrier mode will be more clear and directly
          understandable and I want to unify
          the method I’ll use: probably writing all the long vowels but _a_ with
          double tehtar and only the _a_ with a long carrier could appear
          contradictory.
          So, long life to the “long carrier mode”! ;)

          Regards

          Fradeve V

          _____

          > also, Tolkien said that sometimes the dot is used for
          > e, and the acute for i, but i don't think he even
          > wrote texts in this 'alternative mode' (if he did,
          > they must have been few), but his son did. All the fan
          > tengwar texts i have seen, don't use this alternative
          > mode, although according to Tolkien it wouldn't be wrong

          An example where Tolkien (J.R.R., not Christopher) did represent "e"
          with the dot and "i" with the acute would be the Brogan Tengwar
          Greetings (the first of the two tengwar texts, which is written in an
          orthographic tehtar mode).

          Hísilómë

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • j_mach_wust
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 8, 2005
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Fradeve Virgilio" <fradeve11@v...>
            > the method I'll use: probably writing all the long vowels but _a_
            > with double tehtar and only the _a_ with a long carrier could appear
            > contradictory.

            This is attested in DTS 55. Even the i-tehta is doubled, even though
            app. E mentions only the doubling of the curls and the acute.

            Anyway, that specimen is not written very consistently: The a-tehta is
            sometimes written and sometimes not, and the sign for following y is
            sometimes written with two dots above (three times) and sometimes with
            three dots above (two times).

          • Fradeve Virgilio
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 14, 2005
              Lot of thanks for clarification: now I’m writing ALL long vowels on long
              carriers.
              I think it should be the most clear in direct method.

              Regards

              Fradeve V

              _____

              > the method I'll use: probably writing all the long vowels but _a_
              > with double tehtar and only the _a_ with a long carrier could appear
              > contradictory.

              This is attested in DTS 55. Even the i-tehta is doubled, even though
              app. E mentions only the doubling of the curls and the acute.

              Anyway, that specimen is not written very consistently: The a-tehta is
              sometimes written and sometimes not, and the sign for following y is
              sometimes written with two dots above (three times) and sometimes with
              three dots above (two times).

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ek1bpg/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1705218811:HM/EXP=1107995367/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12k6cpgtr/*http:/clk.a
              tdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1107908967339508>

              <http://view.atdmt.com/NFX/view/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=110790
              8967339508>

              :HM/A=2532114/rand=783575183>

              _____