Re: general use

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 91 , Feb 1, 2005
      Gildor Inglorion wrote:
      > now this might sound like a newbie question, but what
      > is this general use mode?
      >
      > as i have seen, Tolkien used it, but not in the
      > context of the Arda history, rather than personal
      > scribbles

      I think talking of a _general use mode_ is misdirecting, and I'd
      rather just call it the 'general use'. It is explicitly placed within
      an Arda history context by the quote "general use (applicable to both
      S and Q) of the period of the tale" (DTS 58 - The Howlett Rivendell
      Inscriptions).

      Since it's used for English as well (the two transcriptions of
      _Rivendell_), we can identify the 'general use' of the tengwar with
      the 'Westron mode' known from app. E. I prefer the name 'general use'
      to the name 'Westron mode' since this use is attested for English,
      Sindarin, Quenya, and Black Speech, but not for Westron.

      > how can we fit it into? when was it implemented and by
      > whom? Eldar of Valinor, or Gondor loremasters?

      There was a discussion about that almost a year ago (in the threads
      "questions on a passage in XII" beginning with elfscript #3474 and
      "Sauron and the mode on the One Ring" beginning with elfscript #3504).

      The origins we talked about were:

      * Noldorin loremasters for mannish tongues in the First Age;
      * NĂºmenorian loremasters for their own tongue in early Second Age;
      * less likely: Noldorin lormasters for Valarin (?) before the exile.

      A special problem is how Sauron could have learned the same mode:

      * From corrupted NĂºmenorian in the early Second Age;
      * from elves in the First Age;
      * devised by himself (after knowing the tengwar from elves in the
      First Age).

    • elfscript@yahoogroups.com
      Message 91 of 91 , Jul 7, 2009
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the elfscript
        group.

        File : /check request/havehope.jpg
        Uploaded by : gcbosma <gcbosma@...>
        Description : Should read Have Hope in Sindarin, Sindarin Classic mode, Tengwar Annatar cursive script

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        gcbosma <gcbosma@...>