Re: DTS 56,57 / "nn" and "mm" in different modes

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2005
      Dave 'Hísilómë' wrote:

      > I have always wondered why in some modes (or rather just one:
      > classical Quenya) "nn" and "mm" are treated as double consonants,
      > and in others (such as Sindarin tehtar [for the Beleriand mode there
      > is no way of telling] and, as it seems, general use) as nasalized
      > sounds. I don't think they were pronounced differently for example
      > in Quenya and Sindarin, so why not simply use the under-bar for "nn"
      > and "mm" in Sindarin as in Quenya? Maybe Tolkien could not make up
      > his mind, as the Lowdham Manuscripts seem to indicate?

      Maybe he was thinking of the articulatory similarity of [n:], [m:]
      with [nd], [mb]? Speaking a language that has the former (but lacks
      the latter), I perceive them as very similar. Long voiceless
      obstruents (e.g. [t:], [k:], [f:], [S:]) are very different
      articulatorily.

      The shift from [nd], [mb] to [n:], [m:] is frequent in language changes.

      As to the absence of this use in the classical Quenya mode: That mode
      doesn't feature the bar above at all.