Announcing Tengwar Parmaite version 2

  • Måns Björkman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2005
      Mellyn!

      A new version of the font Tengwar Parmaite is now available at Amanye
      Tenceli. Version two has many revised characters and is extended by an
      auxiliary font, Tengwar Parmaite Alt. Suggestions on Elfscript (most
      directed at Johan Winge's excellent font Tengwar Annatar) have been
      invaluable for the result; I have even included a <Rómen Nuquerna> in
      the Alt font, following the discussion between J. Wust and myself on
      this list.

      Tengwar Parmaite v. 2 can be found at
      http://web.comhem.se/~u86023928/at/parmaite.htm

      Yours,
      Måns
    • j_mach_wust
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005

        Johan Winge wrote:
        > I'm happy to announce that a new version of Tengwar
        > Annatar has been released:
        > http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/annatar.html

        Within a few days, two of the best tengwar fonts have been updated.
        For the first times, there are tengwar fonts that cover all attested
        tengwar signs, so it's been directly from zero to two. Thanks a lot to
        Måns Björkman and to Johan Winge! A great job of both of you!

        Both fonts are now actually not single fonts any more, but double
        fonts, that is, both have chosen to follow Dan Smith's example. This
        makes typing more difficult, but it's also an advantage for those who
        don't have full unicode support yet (e.g. me).

        I'm working on Mac OSX 10.2, and therefore the fonts are not native to
        my system, but they still work. I just can't view them in the built-in
        Character Palette application (which I could with the previous version
        of tengwar annatar), and I had troubles with tengwar parmaite alt
        font, but I could solve them by opening it with a free demo of
        BitFonter and save it as a mac ttf. The key mapping of the tengwar
        parmaite font fits better on a mac, since I can access all the
        characters from non-unicode applications, whereas there are a few
        characters in tengwar annatar I can only access from unicode applications.

        I've just finished a pdf that describes how the tengwar parmaite
        characters can be accessed in non-unicode macintosh applications (on
        the U.S. keyboard). I've uploaded it to the files section:

        Thanks again for the wonderful work of both Måns Björkman and Johan
        Winge! They've enriched everybody who types in tengwar!