Re: [elfscript] Re: Unicode encoding of Tengwar

  • Måns Björkman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 9, 2002
      John Cowan wrote:

      > Måns Björkman scripsit:
      >

      >>(and the word "Sindarin" is Quenya).
      >>

      > Ah. In that case, what is the Sindarin word for "Sindarin"?

      Debatable. According to _Quendi and Eldar_, "Their own language was the
      only one that they ever heard; and they needed no word to distinguish
      it, nor to distinguish themselves." Certainly some designation must have
      been created after the arrival of the Noldor, but we do not know what it
      was. It has been suggested that the Sindar referred to their language
      simply as _Edhellen_, "Elvish".

      Måns

      --
      Måns Björkman "Mun þu mik!
      Störtloppsvägen 8, III Man þik.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 9, 2002

        teithant John Cowan

        > Ah.  In that case, what is the Sindarin word for "Sindarin"

        * thindren  :))))

      • Michael Everson
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 11, 2003
          --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "david_hopwood2002" <
          david.hopwood@z...> wrote:

          > An alternative (fourth) approach encodes the tehtar twice: a set of
          > "preceding tehtar", and a set of "following tehtar". Equivalently,
          > the vowels can be thought of as being in three sets: Quenya-style,
          > Sindarind-style and Beleriand-style (the correspondance between these
          > sets should be reflected in the encoding).
          >
          > Here are some of Michael Everson's examples encoded using this
          > approach:
          >
          > +e = following tehta above
          > _e = following tehta below
          > e+ = preceding tehta above
          > e = full vowel
          >
          > language/style word encoding
          > Quenya nelde n +e ld +e
          > Quenya neltildi n +e l t +i ld +i
          > Sindarin neled n e+ l e+ d
          > Sindarin nelthil n e+ l th i+ l
          > Beleriand neled n e l e d
          > Beleriand nelthil n e l th i l
          > English/Quenya animal ^ +a n +i m +a l
          > English/Sindarin animal a+ n i+ m a+ l
          > English/Beleriand animal a n i m a l
          > Old English mihton m i+ h ZWJ t o+ n
          > Old English <thorn><ae>re th ae+ r _e
          >
          > [A much nicer .gif illustration of this is at
          > <http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hopwood/unicode/tengwar.gif>.]

          This won't work. If the tehtar are defined as combining marks, they MUST
          follow a base character. Thus

          ee-
          nld = neled i.e. ne-le-d; writing

          -ee
          nld = nlede i.e. n-le-de
          Though of course you can read (pronounce) this any way you like; Unicode
          does not allow a combining character to attach itself to letters that follo=
          w it.

          Yes, this is a bit of a problem for input and searching given most people's=

          expectations. Yes, things like thære are a problem.