Re: [elfscript] Tengwar for Sindarin

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2005
      Hello,

      I think that basically it depends on which kind of Sindarin mode you want to write in.
      The examples of Tengwar writing quoted in the following were all written by Tolkien himself, and the DTS numbers refer to an index where you can look them up and see where they can be found. You'll find the index on the Mellonath Daeron website.

      The Mode of Gondor (a tehtar mode) as seen in the third copy of the King's Letter (DTS 49) uses the quesseteema for the velars (i.e. quesse and ungwe for c[=k] and g). So does the Full Mode of Gondor (a full mode not to be confused with the Mode of Beleriand), seen in the first and second copy of the King's Letter (DTS 48/45). (This is of course referring to the Sindarin parts of the letters.)

      The Mode of Beleriand (also a full mode), though, uses the calmateema instead (i.e. calma and anga for c[=k] and g). Examples are the Inscription on the Doors of Durin (DTS 2) or the calligraphy of "A Elbereth" (DTS 21) as published in "The Road Goes Ever On".

      This mode is also distinct in some other ways from the Full Mode of Gondor, for example it employs oore and vala for n and m, nuumen and malta "double n" and "double m", roomen for all occurences of r, and silme nuquerna for y.

      The Full Mode of Gondor, on the other hand, uses the same tengwar for these sounds as most other modes, i.e. nuumen an malta for n and m (and indicating doubling of these sounds with an over-bar for a "preceding nasal") and silme nuquerna as an alternative form of silme for s. Both roomen and oore are used for r, but there seems to be no clear pattern as to which is used when (unlike in the Full Mode of Gondor, where roomen is used for all non-final r, and oore for all word-final occurences of r).

      To sum up, if you're using the Mode of Beleriand, use calma and angwa; otherwise, use quesse and ungwe.

      Hísilómë