Re: Help reply (for Jeff)

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005

      > Hello dear friends and fans of Tolkien's writing systems! All the
      > best for the year 2005!

      Thank you very much. I wish the same to you and to everybody else who
      reads the list!

      > So, here is my first post of this year. I got an email from Jeff. He
      > asked for help. Jeff, see my comments below - and, I'd like to ask
      > you, dear Elfscript members, to check the picture I've uploaded to
      > the Files section:

      I like the transcription! A few details:

      Obvious mistakes:
      "my": there should be malta, not númen
      last "you": there should be vala, not óre
      "only": there should be the breve/caron, not a dot

      Consistency matters:
      The 'stemless calma' in "years" would rather correspond to a yanta in
      "replied" and "carried".

      The long carriers in "only" and "my" would rather correspond to a long
      carrier in "I" as well.

      Debatable:
      Esse instead of esse nuquerna?

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "j_mach_wust" <j_mach_wust@y...>
        wrote:
        > Obvious mistakes:
        > "my": there should be malta, not númen
        > last "you": there should be vala, not óre
        > "only": there should be the breve/caron, not a dot

        Oh no, so stupid mistakes... :( But I don't quite know why there
        should be a caron as well though the pronunciation is different. I
        can imagine the same usage of it in "my" and "I", but not in "only".
        I used the dot in "only" following the DTS 5 ("history") and a breve
        in "my" following the same source ("by").

        > Consistency matters:
        > The 'stemless calma' in "years" would rather correspond to a yanta
        > in "replied" and "carried".

        I used the stemless calma + accute according to DTS 62 ("Eagles"). I
        don't quite understand your reasoning.

        > The long carriers in "only" and "my" would rather correspond to a
        > long carrier in "I" as well.

        Yap, I can correct the short carrier in "I". Thanks!

        > Debatable:
        > Esse instead of esse nuquerna?

        You mean in "size" or in "is"?

        Thanks a lot!

        Lucy
      • j_mach_wust
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
          About Lucy's transcription:

          I wrote:
          > > Consistency matters:
          > > The 'stemless calma' in "years" would rather correspond to a yanta
          > > in "replied" and "carried".

          Lucy replied:
          > I used the stemless calma + accute according to DTS 62 ("Eagles"). I
          > don't quite understand your reasoning.

          In the same specimen, the _e_ that follows a vowel is expressed by
          yanta ("Michael").

          > > Debatable:
          > > Esse instead of esse nuquerna?
          >
          > You mean in "size" or in "is"?

          Both. Yet I think esse nuquerna is better.

        • i_degilbor
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
            There is another correction that needs to be made. Jeff mistyped: it
            should be 'Seize [not "size"] the day'. That will, of course, make a
            difference in transcription.