Re: [elfscript] New Member

  • Giacomo Colle
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13 3:24 AM
      Hello Mariana
      and to all others listening at this eGroup

      I'm a new member too.

      I subscribed this eGroup two months ago, but no mails were written during
      this time. Perhaps all the members discovered how to reach Aman and now
      they are discussing with the Vaniar elves. It was summer and so I decided
      to spend my time in a different way (a very stupid way).

      but don't worry, we could restart to keep life in this eGroup.

      I'm only a novician on Elven Languages, this Autumn I will probably plan
      my week including one or two hours of Quenya study.
      In this way I suppose to grow up quickly my knowlegde about it ;)

      Obviusly you will read soon my prayers(written in this horrible english)
      asking for an help!

      vale

      giacomo.

      > Hello!
      >
      > My name is Mariana, and I'm joining this eGroup today. I'm not
      > updated about your discussions, but any information that any of you
      > would like to share with me is very welcome.
      >
      > It will be a pleasure to talk to you guys about such an interesting
      > matter.
      >
      > Beast regards to all of you,
      > Mariana

    • Lisa Star
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 13 7:30 AM
        >From: Giacomo Colle <Giacomo.Colle@...>
        >
        >Hello Mariana
        >and to all others listening at this eGroup
        >
        >I'm a new member too.
        >
        >I subscribed this eGroup two months ago, but no mails were written during
        >this time. [snip]

        **hi, everybody! i'm a new subscriber though I have been reading it on the
        web. I have a web page at
        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/9902/tolkalph.html
        which has a few examples of calligraphy in Tolkien's alphabets. i hope to
        have more information soon, but maybe you would like to look at the artwork
        now. Let me know what you think...

        ** Lisa Star
        ** Lisa Star at earthling dot net

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • Angasule
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 13 8:58 AM
          Well, I'm not a new member, I've been here for several months (although
          with a few breaks when I didn't have the time), but I've never said
          much. The main thread on this list has been the Unicode proposal, and I
          understand little of that, so I didn't say a thing. My main interest are
          the tengwar, specially the Quenya mode, and lately a few bits of the
          sarati (a friend wanted to know the sarat for spanish ñ, we tried to
          reconstruct it by analogy).
          By the way, Giacomo, you are from the italian speaking part of
          Switzerland, I guess? And Mariana, you're from a spanish speaking
          country? I'm from Argentina myself :)
          Giacomo, you say you're learning Quenya, are you in the Quenya and
          Elfling lists? Quenya is a list where messages are written in Quenya
          (with explanations in English), while Elfling is the main email list
          dedicated to the study of Tolkien's languages. To suscribe to them send
          a blank email to quenya-subscribe@egroups.com or
          elfling-subscribe@egroups.com
          Mariana, if you are from a spanish speaking country I recommend you
          join Lambenor, a list very much like Elfling but in Spanish and with a
          more familiar feel (many of its members know each other in person, being
          part of the spanish Tolkien society). To subscribe send a blank email to
          lambenor-subscribe@egroups.com . If by any chance you're from Argentina,
          please contact me directly, I'm the secretary of the language
          subcomision of the argentinian Tolkien asociation (long title,
          considering there are about five active people on languages in
          Argentina!). My email is angasule@... .
          Angasule
        • mariana nascimbem blaser
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 14 12:02 PM
            Actually I'm not from Argentina, but from Brazil. I'm sorry to disappoint
            you Angasule, butr after all we are neighbors. that'something, wright?

            I just read Tolkien's biography, and only now I understood the complexity of
            his work. I know almost nothing about his writings, and probably I'll only
            learn in this discussion group. That's why I'm readind The Hobbit again -
            and in sequence I'll read The Lord of the Rings - just to remember the
            story, because I read it a few years ago and didn't have any contact with it
            again.

            So forgive me if I can't bring any contribution (yet) to all of you, and I
            may say already that I'm sorry for all the questions I'll certainly make, as
            well as my huge english mistakes (I haven't practiced for a wile).

            Mariana

            >From: Angasule <angasule@...>
            >To: elfscript@egroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [elfscript] New Member
            >Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:58:50 -0300
            >
            > Well, I'm not a new member, I've been here for several months (although
            >with a few breaks when I didn't have the time), but I've never said
            >much. The main thread on this list has been the Unicode proposal, and I
            >understand little of that, so I didn't say a thing. My main interest are
            >the tengwar, specially the Quenya mode, and lately a few bits of the
            >sarati (a friend wanted to know the sarat for spanish �, we tried to
            >reconstruct it by analogy).
            > By the way, Giacomo, you are from the italian speaking part of
            >Switzerland, I guess? And Mariana, you're from a spanish speaking
            >country? I'm from Argentina myself :)
            > Giacomo, you say you're learning Quenya, are you in the Quenya and
            >Elfling lists? Quenya is a list where messages are written in Quenya
            >(with explanations in English), while Elfling is the main email list
            >dedicated to the study of Tolkien's languages. To suscribe to them send
            >a blank email to quenya-subscribe@egroups.com or
            >elfling-subscribe@egroups.com
            > Mariana, if you are from a spanish speaking country I recommend you
            >join Lambenor, a list very much like Elfling but in Spanish and with a
            >more familiar feel (many of its members know each other in person, being
            >part of the spanish Tolkien society). To subscribe send a blank email to
            >lambenor-subscribe@egroups.com . If by any chance you're from Argentina,
            >please contact me directly, I'm the secretary of the language
            >subcomision of the argentinian Tolkien asociation (long title,
            >considering there are about five active people on languages in
            >Argentina!). My email is angasule@... .
            > Angasule

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • Angasule
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 14 12:37 PM
              mariana nascimbem blaser wrote:

              > Actually I'm not from Argentina, but from Brazil. I'm sorry to disappoint
              > you Angasule, butr after all we are neighbors. that'something, wright?
              Yes, it is! Unfortunately I don't know of any other Tolkien reader in
              Brazil, since I don't have much contact with brazilians (I don't speak
              portuguese at all).

              > I just read Tolkien's biography, and only now I understood the complexity of
              > his work. I know almost nothing about his writings, and probably I'll only
              > learn in this discussion group. That's why I'm readind The Hobbit again -
              > and in sequence I'll read The Lord of the Rings - just to remember the
              > story, because I read it a few years ago and didn't have any contact with it
              > again.
              I'd recommend you read the Silmarillion afterwards, too, since that's
              where the languages develop, by the Lord of the Rings elvish languages
              are quite stable (I'm talking inside Middle Earth, not in Tolkien's
              head!). The Hobbit itself has little language relevance, but it's a
              great story (I still grab it from time to time and read a few pages)

              > So forgive me if I can't bring any contribution (yet) to all of you, and I
              > may say already that I'm sorry for all the questions I'll certainly make, as
              > well as my huge english mistakes (I haven't practiced for a wile).
              Don't worry about your English, no one will critize it here! And asking
              questions is the best way to learn, so feel free to ask anytime :)
              Angasule