New member

  • Mariana
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 12, 2000
      Hello!

      My name is Mariana, and I'm joining this eGroup today. I'm not
      updated about your discussions, but any information that any of you
      would like to share with me is very welcome.

      It will be a pleasure to talk to you guys about such an interesting
      matter.

      Beast regards to all of you,
      Mariana
    • Sébastien Bertho
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2002
        Hi Tolkiendili !

        I'm a french tolkiendil of 29 years, and a student of Tolkien's tongues and
        writting systems for 10 years (but I'm seriously at it for only 3 years).
        This love for the invented languages of Tolkien brought me to translate
        Ardalambion in french (but the french version is far from complete) and to
        subscribe to several mailing lists (Elfling, Tolklang and Quenya).

        I'm very interested in tengwar and cirth and that's the reason of my
        subscription to this list. I hope I'll be able to learn from others and to
        help when I can.

        Lena wrote :

        > LOL, this is incredible...people speaking in elvish...and how does he
        > pronounce it, I wonder?

        Indeed, the elvish tongues can be spoken (at least the two best known :
        Quenya and Sindarin). The Appendices of the Lord of the Rings give many
        informations concerning the pronunciation of Quenya and Sindarin.

        > Btw, shouldn't elvish be written with a capital E?

        Yes, in English. But in some others languages (like french, my native
        tongue), the language names are not capitalized.

        Namárië !

        Sébastien Bertho, i estaina Lambendil Endóressë.
      • Abrigon
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 27, 2002
          Has anyone done any work on the characters not as letters like in an
          Alphabet, but more like whole words?

          Sort of a short hand, sort of like how Chinese is done, or to a
          degree Cuniform or Heiroglyphs..

          Ideographs basically!?

          A=Alpha, Alpha came it seems from Apis, Apis=Bull.

          So if you write an "A" you could be A or could be Bull or like sound.

          Would be funny to see AA = Tengwar with the doubling symbol.

          Meaning Abull (Able)

          After all most of the Tengwar and like, have a name that actually
          means something.

          Mike
        • John Cowan
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 27, 2002
            Abrigon scripsit:

            > A=Alpha, Alpha came it seems from Apis, Apis=Bull.

            A < alpha < aleph 'ox'. The difference between an ox and a bull
            is substantial.

            --
            John Cowan <jcowan@...> http://www.reutershealth.com
            I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27, 2002
              Well, yes and no.. I think it depends on who translates it.

              Mike