Re: Help fix spacing in Tengwar Annatar

  • Gregson Vaux
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 5, 2004
      Johan,

      My only comment about Annatar is that I would like longer stems for
      the italic version (I guess that a stem is called a telco). I read
      that this font used to have longer stems but for some reason they were
      shortened but it would be nice if there were an alternate font with
      longer stems.

      Gregson

      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Johan Winge" <johan.winge@t...> wrote:
      > Just a reminder, so that this is not forgotten. I will start
      processing
      > the data I have received at the end of this week, so, if you want to
      > contribute, please send in your values before december 12.
      >
      > Remember that you don't have to analyze all pairs, so if you think
      it is
      > too much of work to judge all of them, its perfectly allright and
      still
      > helpful, if you submit values only for some of them.
      >
      > Note: I'm especially interested in no. 1-36 and 163-198, and also all
      > pairs where the last tengwa is lambe, alda, hyarmen or yanta, i.e. the
      > previously mentioned pairs plus 45, 46, 49, 50 etc..
      >
      > Thank you!
      > -- Johan Winge
      >
      > On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:05:38 +0100, Johan Winge <johan.winge@t...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > I'm looking for people who want to help me fine-tuning the spacing
      of the
      > > next version of my font Tengwar Annatar. The task is easy and simple,
      > > though perhaps somewhat boring. ;-) You will need a bit of
      patience, some
      > > basic aesthetic common sense, and ideally a high quality printer.
      (Laser
      > > or equivalent.)
      > >
      > > Just download the file
      > > http://home.student.uu.se/jowi4905/fonts/kerntest.pdf and print it
      (or,
      > > as
      > > a last resort, zoom in the pages on your monitor so that the gradual
      > > increase in spacing is obvious and uniform.)
      > >
      > > Then, for each one of the 342 lines, select the pair of tengwar
      which you
      > > like most, those that have just the right amount of space between
      them,
      > > in
      > > your opinion. Some guidelines:
      > >
      > > * Don't think too much. Just go ahead and choose what you think looks
      > > best. (Otherwise it will take you ages, and there are no
      guaranties the
      > > result will be better anyway.) Give an average if you can't deside
      on one
      > > particular pair.
      > >
      > > * There is nothing special with the column named 0. There is no
      point in
      > > striving to get your choices equally distributed on both sides of this
      > > value, just because it is named zero. If you find that you tend to
      give
      > > many negative values, that just means that you want a more dense
      font,
      > > and
      > > that is perfectly all right. Likewise, if most of your choices are
      > > positive, you want a wider font than the current version. This is your
      > > chance of making your opinion count! You will probably find that your
      > > numeric values vary a great deal.
      > >
      > > * Be consistent! This is of the highest importance. Ideally, jump back
      > > once in a while and check that you still prefer the same amount of
      > > spacing, visually speaking, as you did before.
      > >
      > > Then send your 342 values (or how much or less you managed to do)
      to me,