Re: My sad story

  • Gregson Vaux
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2004
      My ubderstanding of biblical Hebrew is that spirant G is the same as
      the Israeli Resh and the Arabic Gayin; the spirant T is the same as
      the English unvoiced TH; and the spirant D is the same is the English
      voiced TH. The Qof is the same as the Arabic Q; the The Arabic and
      Hebrew Ayins are the same; And Het can be found in Arabic and a very
      similar sound can be found in Mexican Spanish.

      I have also heard that the English dark L is actually an emphatic L
      much like the emphatic s and t. As far as I know, I can pronounce all
      of these sounds fairly well. Both Arabic and Hebrew speakers have told
      me that I have an excellent accent but it is hard to know whether
      people are being honest or just flattering. I learned a lot of my
      pronunciation and vocabulary from children's television. It was a
      great way to learn except that I was told that I talked like a crazed
      kindergarten teacher in that I had a much too enthusiastic manner when
      I spoke.

      People say that Arabic and Hebrew are ugly languages but I found them
      to be beautiful. Actually, any language is beautiful when sung by a
      woman with a nice voice (or a man for that matter but I am partial to

      <helge.fauskanger@n...> wrote:
      > Gregson Vaux wrote:
      > > The phrase is in English transcribed with tengwar.
      > Probably the best option.
      > > Where did you study Hebrew?
      > In my own home, with the help of books and a few tapes :)
      > > In Israeli Hebrew, it is called "Vav Hafoohk".
      > Root HFK = to change, overturn. Hence "conversive Vav".
      > > Calling it Waw, makes it sound closer to Arabic to my ears.
      > Well, the original pronunciation of Hebrew is inevitably closer to
      > (a related Semitic tongue) than the commonest Israeli pronunciation of
      > today (since the parents and grandparents of the current Israeli
      > often spoke European tongues, wholly unrelated to Hebrew, and so Hebrew
      > Revived was almost inevitably colored by European phonology).
      > The letter Waw (Vav) properly does denote W rather than V, though
      the two
      > are no longer distinguished in modern Israeli (compare thee fate of
      W vs. V