R: [elfscript] Re: New file added : is it correct?

  • Fradeve Virgilio
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 5, 2004
      In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fradeve virgilio" <fradeve11@v...> wrote:

      >>The question of the _i_ looks more complicated. Like I've said, I don't
      know Sindarin, so the question of peculiar >>accentuation of the word is a
      problem for me. I will draw long or short carriers everywhere you will
      indicated me.
      >>So, on this topic, I ask you to be more clear!

      > [Well, for a discussion of this, you may want to read Elfscript messages
      4345-4349 and 4353.

      > If you want a straightforward recommendation though, I'd repeat what I
      wrote in message 4336, i.e. simply use short >carriers for all occurrences
      of _i_.

      > My _rationale_ for suggesting this would be a bit different now: it seems
      that in this mode (Mode of Beleriand) long >vs. short carriers do not
      indicate any distinct sounds, so there is no need to distinguish between
      them in writing (they >all stand for short _i_). Long _i_ (which
      incidentally does not occur in your calligraphy) can be indicated by an
      andaith >(acute accent) on top (as with the other vowels), _not_ with the
      help of long vs. short carrier.

      >(The dot that is occasionally seen on the I-tengwar (i.e. the long or
      short carrier) in this mode does not carry any >special phonetic
      significance, either. Rather, it just seems to "emphasize" the I-tengwar
      visually.)

      > The upshot is that it's really up to you: you can use only short or only
      long carriers, with or without dots, or even >mix them as you like (I
      personally would prefer consistent usage).

      > So, in other words, once you've corrected the spelling of _im_, _llie_
      and maybe _en_ (see message 4335), the spelling >will be fine.]

      > Hísilómë

      Excellent!

      Now I’m completely satisfacted…
      You’ve been too exaurient explaining the point of situation (on the contrary
      of other people on this ML…): little pills of Sindarin!
      Much thanks, I’m going to prepare the scratch for a difinitive version!

      Fradeve Virgilio

    • Fradeve Virgilio
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 12, 2004
        >--- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Fradeve Virgilio" <fradeve11@v...>
        >Replying to Calwen76:
        >> The "Grelvish" text that I'm translating in tengwar is not a my
        >>creation. I'm only doing a favour to my girlfriend, that needs help
        >>with the tengwar transcription. I've studied Quenya, not Sindarin, so
        >>I don't know exactly in which way the phrase
        >>
        >>_Aa' I elin thilio ui erin le, ar I sul dregi im fin llie brannon en
        >>ely_
        >>
        >>must be representative of Grelvish or other depreciable languages.
        >>So, starting from my personal point of view, I will more appreciate
        >>someone who will underlines where and what are the errors, than a
        >>simply and corrosive verdict. Probably my girlfriend will think right
        >>there.
        >
        >------------
        >
        >Hm, so if it's not your creation how can you say it is a "Sindarin"
        >text?
        >My comments:
        >1) this group concerns the scripts, not the languages (it's better to
        >go to the Elfling group to look for help)
        >2) to be more specific, as you wished me to be, in Sindarin, e.g. the
        >_Aa'_ cluster is not possible, as well as the initial cluster _ll_ in
        >_llie_ : this language is called Grelvish and thus I can't help you
        >with the translation since I don't know Grelvish as well as I think
        >none here (and either on Elfling group) is willing to help you with
        >correcting such text. You missed my point though. :-/
        >
        >To Dave: I don't understand you, Dave, why are you doing this? :-(
        >
        >Lucy

        Answering to Calwen76:

        Now, I've very appreciated your explaining. I think it's better than your
        behaviour before this last post.
        I've said that it was a "Sindarin" text only because I supposed that my
        girlfriend had a little knowledge
        on this linguistic topic (but, however, now I'm thinking I'm wrong.).
        Was not my intention to start a linguistic dibate on this ML in wich it's
        quite OT, but I've started considering
        the tengwar side of the phrase, so anything was put out during this
        discussion was not my fault.
        I'll sent your response to the author of the phrase.
        I'm working on a correct version. so,

        Regards,

        Fradeve