R: [elfscript] Re: New file added : is it correct?

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Fradeve Virgilio" <fradeve11@v...>
      Replying to Calwen76:
      > The "Grelvish" text that I'm translating in tengwar is not a my
      creation. I'm only doing a favour to my girlfriend, that needs help
      with the tengwar transcription. I've studied Quenya, not Sindarin, so
      I don't know exactly in which way the phrase

      _Aa' I elin thilio ui erin le, ar I sul dregi im fin llie brannon en
      ely_

      must be representative of Grelvish or other depreciable languages.
      So, starting from my personal point of view, I will more appreciate
      someone who will underlines where and what are the errors, than a
      simply and corrosive verdict. Probably my girlfriend will think right
      there.

      ------------

      Hm, so if it's not your creation how can you say it is a "Sindarin"
      text?
      My comments:
      1) this group concerns the scripts, not the languages (it's better to
      go to the Elfling group to look for help)
      2) to be more specific, as you wished me to be, in Sindarin, e.g. the
      _Aa'_ cluster is not possible, as well as the initial cluster _ll_ in
      _llie_ : this language is called Grelvish and thus I can't help you
      with the translation since I don't know Grelvish as well as I think
      none here (and either on Elfling group) is willing to help you with
      correcting such text. You missed my point though. :-/

      To Dave: I don't understand you, Dave, why are you doing this? :-(

      Lucy
    • Fradeve Virgilio
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 5, 2004
        In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fradeve virgilio" <fradeve11@v...> wrote:

        >>The question of the _i_ looks more complicated. Like I've said, I don't
        know Sindarin, so the question of peculiar >>accentuation of the word is a
        problem for me. I will draw long or short carriers everywhere you will
        indicated me.
        >>So, on this topic, I ask you to be more clear!

        > [Well, for a discussion of this, you may want to read Elfscript messages
        4345-4349 and 4353.

        > If you want a straightforward recommendation though, I'd repeat what I
        wrote in message 4336, i.e. simply use short >carriers for all occurrences
        of _i_.

        > My _rationale_ for suggesting this would be a bit different now: it seems
        that in this mode (Mode of Beleriand) long >vs. short carriers do not
        indicate any distinct sounds, so there is no need to distinguish between
        them in writing (they >all stand for short _i_). Long _i_ (which
        incidentally does not occur in your calligraphy) can be indicated by an
        andaith >(acute accent) on top (as with the other vowels), _not_ with the
        help of long vs. short carrier.

        >(The dot that is occasionally seen on the I-tengwar (i.e. the long or
        short carrier) in this mode does not carry any >special phonetic
        significance, either. Rather, it just seems to "emphasize" the I-tengwar
        visually.)

        > The upshot is that it's really up to you: you can use only short or only
        long carriers, with or without dots, or even >mix them as you like (I
        personally would prefer consistent usage).

        > So, in other words, once you've corrected the spelling of _im_, _llie_
        and maybe _en_ (see message 4335), the spelling >will be fine.]

        > Hísilómë

        Excellent!

        Now I’m completely satisfacted…
        You’ve been too exaurient explaining the point of situation (on the contrary
        of other people on this ML…): little pills of Sindarin!
        Much thanks, I’m going to prepare the scratch for a difinitive version!

        Fradeve Virgilio

      • Fradeve Virgilio
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 12, 2004
          >--- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Fradeve Virgilio" <fradeve11@v...>
          >Replying to Calwen76:
          >> The "Grelvish" text that I'm translating in tengwar is not a my
          >>creation. I'm only doing a favour to my girlfriend, that needs help
          >>with the tengwar transcription. I've studied Quenya, not Sindarin, so
          >>I don't know exactly in which way the phrase
          >>
          >>_Aa' I elin thilio ui erin le, ar I sul dregi im fin llie brannon en
          >>ely_
          >>
          >>must be representative of Grelvish or other depreciable languages.
          >>So, starting from my personal point of view, I will more appreciate
          >>someone who will underlines where and what are the errors, than a
          >>simply and corrosive verdict. Probably my girlfriend will think right
          >>there.
          >
          >------------
          >
          >Hm, so if it's not your creation how can you say it is a "Sindarin"
          >text?
          >My comments:
          >1) this group concerns the scripts, not the languages (it's better to
          >go to the Elfling group to look for help)
          >2) to be more specific, as you wished me to be, in Sindarin, e.g. the
          >_Aa'_ cluster is not possible, as well as the initial cluster _ll_ in
          >_llie_ : this language is called Grelvish and thus I can't help you
          >with the translation since I don't know Grelvish as well as I think
          >none here (and either on Elfling group) is willing to help you with
          >correcting such text. You missed my point though. :-/
          >
          >To Dave: I don't understand you, Dave, why are you doing this? :-(
          >
          >Lucy

          Answering to Calwen76:

          Now, I've very appreciated your explaining. I think it's better than your
          behaviour before this last post.
          I've said that it was a "Sindarin" text only because I supposed that my
          girlfriend had a little knowledge
          on this linguistic topic (but, however, now I'm thinking I'm wrong.).
          Was not my intention to start a linguistic dibate on this ML in wich it's
          quite OT, but I've started considering
          the tengwar side of the phrase, so anything was put out during this
          discussion was not my fault.
          I'll sent your response to the author of the phrase.
          I'm working on a correct version. so,

          Regards,

          Fradeve