Re: Love Poem in tengwar and Latin letters

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 20 3:43 AM
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Gregson Vaux" <gvaux@m...> wrote:

      > I am beginning to think that I have misunderstood what is meant by
      > long and short vowels. Are we talking about a sound difference or a
      > spelling difference? When I was young, I learned that the word
      > "pick" had a short I while the word "pike" had a long I. Long and
      > short described different phonemes. When we talk about long and
      > short vowels going with long and short carriers, are we talking
      > about spelling differences? If this is the case, it describes my
      > source of confusion.

      In the attested orthographic modes, it's about spelling differences.
      In the attested phonemic modes, it's about pronunciation differences.

      Note that in the attested phonemic modes, Tolkien, a great linguist,
      didn't employd the popular and traditional distinction between "short"
      and "long" vowels you have learned which is kind of inbetween spelling
      differences and pronunciation differences, but a distinction between
      long and short vowels that is only based on pronunciation. In the
      attested phonemic tengwar modes, the long vowel that corresponds to
      the short vowel of _pick_ is the vowel of _peak_ and the vowel of
      _pike_ is not long but a diphthong: a + i.

      Since you're using a secondary, post-Tolkien mode, you don't need to
      care about what Tolkien did, of course, unless you aim to write in a
      way that would be acceptable for the community of those who care for
      Tolkien's tengwar samples.