Tengwar spelling of Sindarin m < mb

  • Harri Perälä
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2004
      LotR Appendix E (I) notes that in Sindarin,

      _mb_ became _m_ in all cases, but still counted as a long consonant
      for purposes of stress . . . and is thus written _mm_ in cases
      where otherwise the stress might be in doubt.

      A footnote gives "galadhremmin ennorath" as an example. This made me
      wonder whether the tengwar spelling of _galadhremmin_ would actually be
      "galadhremin". But I guess not; according to the ISS, Tolkien's mode of
      Beleriand rendition of A Elbereth (DTS 21) has _galadhremmin_ written
      with malta, not vala.

      I don't understand Sindarin phonology, but based on what I was able to
      grasp from a number of old mailing list messages, Tolkien's use of _m_
      vs. _mm_ was not always consistent (e.g. [1][2]). But how about tengwar
      writing? For example, how do think the words _rammas_ and _amon_ were
      usually written in the Third Age? (These are both given an "mb"
      etymology in the dictionary by Didier Willis. It did not become clear to
      me whether one needs this information to know what the Latin spelling
      represents.)

      [1] http://tolklang.quettar.org/elfling-mirror/053nn/05308
      [2] http://tolklang.quettar.org/elfling-mirror/071nn/07149

      Harri Perälä