Re: [elfscript] Re: about "i" + Was DTS 8 written by JRRT?

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
      <>> j_mach_wust wrote:

      >> 'Hísilómë' Dave wrote:

      > Are there many
      > incidences of a "capitalized short carrier"? Come to think
      > of it, long carriers usually seem to be extended
      > _downwards_, not upwards, so this would certainly give
      > weight to your argument :).

      We also find many "capitalizations" in other Tolkien's tengwar texts.
      There's another sample of a "capitalized" short carrier in DTS 18
      (third verse, third line) (the same sample shows even a "capitalized"
      long carrier: fifth verse, first word).

      [Right, so a "capitalized" carrier would have an upwardly extended stem
      and a curl to the left at the bottom, and thus generally look a bit like
      a "J"--BTW, did you come up with the term? The "capitalization" does not
      seem to serve any special function, does it?]

      >>> In the Doors of Durin inscription (as published in
      >>> Fellowship), I'm not sure whether for example the "i" in
      >>> _minno_ is to be considered a long or a short carrier?
      >>> What does it look like to you? Anyway, in this sample,
      >>> again, the only clear-cut occurence of a long carrier
      >>> seems to me to be the "i" in _Im (Narvi)_, word-initial
      >>> again.
      >>
      >> I'd say it the other way round: The only clear-cut
      >> occurences of short carriers are in the words _Durin_ and
      >> _Moria_.
      >
      > Don't know, this really seems to be a matter of
      > interpretation. I'm looking at the second hardcover
      > edition by George Allen & Unwin, p.319, and to me the "i"
      > in, say, _Celebrimbor_ or _Eregion_ also look kind of
      > short to me, especially when compared with the "i"
      > occurrences in _i thiw hin_. To close to call I guess :).
      > In some earlier drafts that are reproduced in AI, e.g. nos
      > 150 and 151, all carriers seem to be distinctly short. As
      > you said, it doesn't seem to make a big difference in this
      > mode.

      Wait a minute, isn't DTS 8 not drawn by J. R. R. Tolkien at all, but a
      copy made of DTS 32 by some graphic? I think this is told in the
      Artist & Illustrator, but I have only made a copy of page 158 and
      brought the book back to the library.

      [You are, as usual, right :). On page 161 of my edition of AI, it says
      that "The picture of the Doors of Durin [154] reproduced in "The Lord of
      the Rings" was made by a blockmaker's copyist after Tolkien's final
      design [153]." I have to say, though, that in [153], as opposed to
      [154], I feel that _all_ the carriers clearly look short, and it would
      thus seem that the "ambiguity" in this sample was only introduced by the
      copyist, who in all likelihood was not aware of the subtleties of
      Tolkien's script.]

      > BTW, there are some "strange" spellings in these earlier
      > drafts (...) This is probably some earlier
      > conceptual stage for this mode?

      I think this isn't a reflection of a earlier conceptual stage of this
      mode, but of a earlier conceptual stage of the language (have a look
      at the bottom of DTS 29 :-).

      [Yes, about that: I've never been able to clearly decipher Tolkien's
      writing here, specifically what follows after the opening "This is...".
      Can you read it? "This is an (?) use of the elvish character (?)
      spelling" (or maybe it's "This is a-something-use, the "n" belonging to
      the word following the article "a"). At first I thought maybe
      "erroneous" use, but the letters really to me look more like a-r-e-h(or
      l-i?)-a (?)(?), and that obviously doesn't make much sense. Maybe
      "earlier use"? But where we should see "e", I only see "a", and it
      generally doesn't seem to fit. Guess I'm a lousy reader of Tolkien's
      handwriting. Any ideas? BTW, I only thought it might be an "earlier
      stage of this _mode_" because "spelling" is being mentioned...]

      Well, there is actually one earlier
      feature in the mode, too: The andotyelle seems to be used not only for
      long nasal consonants (nn, mm), but also for the prenasalized voiced
      stops (nd, mb), see 'Celebrimbor, ndíw'.

      [Right, the latter use for nasalized voiced stops would correspond to
      the use in the Classical Quenya Mode. I'd say it's an earlier stage in
      both the language and the spelling :)--though the two are, of course,
      not _necessarily_ closely connected.]

      Hísilómë

    • Fradeve Virgilio
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 30, 2004
        >--- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fradeve virgilio" <fradeve11@v...>
        >wrote:
        >> _Aa' I elin thilio ui erin le, ar I sul dregi im fin llie brannon
        >en ely_
        >>
        >> Is it completely correct?

        >This is Grelvish and this ridiculous word grist doesn't deserve to be
        >expressed by any of prof. Tolkien's writing systems. Apart from
        >calling it Sindarin.
        >
        >Lucy

        Hi to all,

        Replying to Calwen76:
        The “Grelvish” text that I’m translating in tengwar is not a my creation.
        I’m only
        doing a favour to my girlfriend, that needs help with the tengwar
        transcription.
        I’ve studied Quenya, not Sindarin, so I don’t know exactly in which way the
        phrase

        _Aa' I elin thilio ui erin le, ar I sul dregi im fin llie brannon en ely_

        must be representative of Grelvish or other depreciable languages.

        So, starting from my personal point of view, I will more appreciate someone
        who
        will underlines where and what are the errors, than a simply and corrosive
        verdict.
        Probably my girlfriend will think right there.

        So, now we can discuss about the tengwar side of the phrase: I think that an
        elvish word of
        thank is better than one simply: _Hantanyel!_ to Dave for his comment.
        Answering to his questions:

        - yes, I’ve forgotten an _i_ in _llie_!
        - And, it can seems stupid, the mark on the yanta that looks like an
        o-curl is only a
        decoration to hide a tragic error, a stain of ink! Really, this work is only
        a scratch,
        so I’ve thought that this particular mark can be interpreted simply like a
        decoration (also
        because who really knows the Beleriand Full Mode knows that this mark can’t
        be used. So,
        it must be intended like this: each sign that isn’t used in the Beleriand
        Mode but appears
        in the scratch must be interpreted like a decoration mark! But, I repeat,
        this mark is the
        consequence of an error! In the definitive version I will take care to
        cancel this kind of
        mistakes!).
        - last but not least, the óre in _en_ is my personal calligraphic
        style.

        The question of the _i_ looks more complicated. Like I’ve said, I don’t know
        Sindarin, so the
        question of peculiar accentuation of the word is a problem for me. I will
        draw long or short
        carriers everywhere you will indicated me.
        So, on this topic, I ask you to be more clear!

        Thanks and regards,

        Fradeve virgilio

        Á carë tittë nati alta melmenen

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 30, 2004
          >--- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fradeve virgilio" <fradeve11@v...> wrote:

          >The question of the _i_ looks more complicated. Like I've said, I don't know Sindarin, so the question of peculiar >accentuation of the word is a problem for me. I will draw long or short carriers everywhere you will indicated me.
          >So, on this topic, I ask you to be more clear!

          [Well, for a discussion of this, you may want to read Elfscript messages 4345-4349 and 4353.

          If you want a straightforward recommendation though, I'd repeat what I wrote in message 4336, i.e. simply use short carriers for all occurrences of _i_.

          My _rationale_ for suggesting this would be a bit different now: it seems that in this mode (Mode of Beleriand) long vs. short carriers do not indicate any distinct sounds, so there is no need to distinguish between them in writing (they all stand for short _i_). Long _i_ (which incidentally does not occur in your calligraphy) can be indicated by an andaith (acute accent) on top (as with the other vowels), _not_ with the help of long vs. short carrier.

          (The dot that is occasionally seen on the I-tengwar (i.e. the long or short carrier) in this mode does not carry any special phonetic significance, either. Rather, it just seems to "emphasize" the I-tengwar visually.)

          The upshot is that it's really up to you: you can use only short or only long carriers, with or without dots, or even mix them as you like (I personally would prefer consistent usage).

          So, in other words, once you've corrected the spelling of _im_, _llie_ and maybe _en_ (see message 4335), the spelling will be fine.]

          Hísilómë

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2004
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Fradeve Virgilio" <fradeve11@v...>
            Replying to Calwen76:
            > The "Grelvish" text that I'm translating in tengwar is not a my
            creation. I'm only doing a favour to my girlfriend, that needs help
            with the tengwar transcription. I've studied Quenya, not Sindarin, so
            I don't know exactly in which way the phrase

            _Aa' I elin thilio ui erin le, ar I sul dregi im fin llie brannon en
            ely_

            must be representative of Grelvish or other depreciable languages.
            So, starting from my personal point of view, I will more appreciate
            someone who will underlines where and what are the errors, than a
            simply and corrosive verdict. Probably my girlfriend will think right
            there.

            ------------

            Hm, so if it's not your creation how can you say it is a "Sindarin"
            text?
            My comments:
            1) this group concerns the scripts, not the languages (it's better to
            go to the Elfling group to look for help)
            2) to be more specific, as you wished me to be, in Sindarin, e.g. the
            _Aa'_ cluster is not possible, as well as the initial cluster _ll_ in
            _llie_ : this language is called Grelvish and thus I can't help you
            with the translation since I don't know Grelvish as well as I think
            none here (and either on Elfling group) is willing to help you with
            correcting such text. You missed my point though. :-/

            To Dave: I don't understand you, Dave, why are you doing this? :-(

            Lucy
          • Fradeve Virgilio
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 5, 2004
              In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fradeve virgilio" <fradeve11@v...> wrote:

              >>The question of the _i_ looks more complicated. Like I've said, I don't
              know Sindarin, so the question of peculiar >>accentuation of the word is a
              problem for me. I will draw long or short carriers everywhere you will
              indicated me.
              >>So, on this topic, I ask you to be more clear!

              > [Well, for a discussion of this, you may want to read Elfscript messages
              4345-4349 and 4353.

              > If you want a straightforward recommendation though, I'd repeat what I
              wrote in message 4336, i.e. simply use short >carriers for all occurrences
              of _i_.

              > My _rationale_ for suggesting this would be a bit different now: it seems
              that in this mode (Mode of Beleriand) long >vs. short carriers do not
              indicate any distinct sounds, so there is no need to distinguish between
              them in writing (they >all stand for short _i_). Long _i_ (which
              incidentally does not occur in your calligraphy) can be indicated by an
              andaith >(acute accent) on top (as with the other vowels), _not_ with the
              help of long vs. short carrier.

              >(The dot that is occasionally seen on the I-tengwar (i.e. the long or
              short carrier) in this mode does not carry any >special phonetic
              significance, either. Rather, it just seems to "emphasize" the I-tengwar
              visually.)

              > The upshot is that it's really up to you: you can use only short or only
              long carriers, with or without dots, or even >mix them as you like (I
              personally would prefer consistent usage).

              > So, in other words, once you've corrected the spelling of _im_, _llie_
              and maybe _en_ (see message 4335), the spelling >will be fine.]

              > Hísilómë

              Excellent!

              Now I’m completely satisfacted…
              You’ve been too exaurient explaining the point of situation (on the contrary
              of other people on this ML…): little pills of Sindarin!
              Much thanks, I’m going to prepare the scratch for a difinitive version!

              Fradeve Virgilio

            • Fradeve Virgilio
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 12, 2004
                >--- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Fradeve Virgilio" <fradeve11@v...>
                >Replying to Calwen76:
                >> The "Grelvish" text that I'm translating in tengwar is not a my
                >>creation. I'm only doing a favour to my girlfriend, that needs help
                >>with the tengwar transcription. I've studied Quenya, not Sindarin, so
                >>I don't know exactly in which way the phrase
                >>
                >>_Aa' I elin thilio ui erin le, ar I sul dregi im fin llie brannon en
                >>ely_
                >>
                >>must be representative of Grelvish or other depreciable languages.
                >>So, starting from my personal point of view, I will more appreciate
                >>someone who will underlines where and what are the errors, than a
                >>simply and corrosive verdict. Probably my girlfriend will think right
                >>there.
                >
                >------------
                >
                >Hm, so if it's not your creation how can you say it is a "Sindarin"
                >text?
                >My comments:
                >1) this group concerns the scripts, not the languages (it's better to
                >go to the Elfling group to look for help)
                >2) to be more specific, as you wished me to be, in Sindarin, e.g. the
                >_Aa'_ cluster is not possible, as well as the initial cluster _ll_ in
                >_llie_ : this language is called Grelvish and thus I can't help you
                >with the translation since I don't know Grelvish as well as I think
                >none here (and either on Elfling group) is willing to help you with
                >correcting such text. You missed my point though. :-/
                >
                >To Dave: I don't understand you, Dave, why are you doing this? :-(
                >
                >Lucy

                Answering to Calwen76:

                Now, I've very appreciated your explaining. I think it's better than your
                behaviour before this last post.
                I've said that it was a "Sindarin" text only because I supposed that my
                girlfriend had a little knowledge
                on this linguistic topic (but, however, now I'm thinking I'm wrong.).
                Was not my intention to start a linguistic dibate on this ML in wich it's
                quite OT, but I've started considering
                the tengwar side of the phrase, so anything was put out during this
                discussion was not my fault.
                I'll sent your response to the author of the phrase.
                I'm working on a correct version. so,

                Regards,

                Fradeve