RE: [elfscript] Hope

  • Brad Howells
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2004
      This is the English mode. More of the cursive type.

      Brad Howells
      Vanguard Charter Academy
      2-4 General Music
      5-8 Instrumental Music

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "sscrivani23" <sscrivani23@y...>
        wrote:

        > Does anyone know how to write hope in elven, i want to get it as a
        > tatto.

        Hello sscrivani23,

        here is the file I've uploaded, there are four possible (BMO)
        transcriptions of the word HOPE (maybe more...):

        1. orthographic tehtar mode (DTS 10)
        2. pronunciation tehtar mode (DTS 13)
        4. orthographic full mode (DTS 48)
        5. pronunciation full mode (DTS 24)

        Lucy
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
          calwen76 wrote:

          > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "sscrivani23" <sscrivani23@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anyone know how to write hope in elven, i want to get it as a
          > > tatto.
          >
          > Hello sscrivani23,
          >
          > here is the file I've uploaded, there are four possible (BMO)
          > transcriptions of the word HOPE (maybe more...):

          > 1. orthographic tehtar mode (DTS 10)
          > 2. pronunciation tehtar mode (DTS 13)
          > 4. orthographic full mode (DTS 48)
          > 5. pronunciation full mode (DTS 24)
          >
          > Lucy

          Tried to have a look at your suggestions, but--document not found :).
          Just one question: Are you sure that the Book of Mazarbul (middle) page
          (DTS 13) is in a tehtar mode?

          Hísilómë

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Dave <david.vdpeet@m...> wrote:
            > calwen76 wrote:
            > >
            > > 1. orthographic tehtar mode (DTS 10)
            > > 2. pronunciation tehtar mode (DTS 13)
            > > 4. orthographic full mode (DTS 48)
            > > 5. pronunciation full mode (DTS 24)
            > >
            > > Lucy
            > >
            > Tried to have a look at your suggestions, but--document not
            found :).
            > Just one question: Are you sure that the Book of Mazarbul (middle)
            page
            > (DTS 13) is in a tehtar mode?

            It's wierd... I know why... :

            And no, DTS 13 is not a tehtar mode... :-/ But I don't know what
            sample do we have of this mode? ... Do you know?

            Lucy
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
              calwen76 wrote:

              > --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Dave <david.vdpeet@m...> wrote:
              > > calwen76 wrote:
              > > >
              > > > 1. orthographic tehtar mode (DTS 10)
              > > > 2. pronunciation tehtar mode (DTS 13)
              > > > 4. orthographic full mode (DTS 48)
              > > > 5. pronunciation full mode (DTS 24)
              > > >
              > > > Lucy
              > > >
              > > Tried to have a look at your suggestions, but--document not
              > found :).
              > > Just one question: Are you sure that the Book of Mazarbul (middle)
              > page
              > > (DTS 13) is in a tehtar mode?
              >
              > It's wierd... I know why... :

              > And no, DTS 13 is not a tehtar mode... :-/ But I don't know what
              > sample do we have of this mode? ... Do you know?
              >
              > Lucy

              [That's a good question. Is there any sample of a fullblown
              "pronunciation tehtar mode"? The "LotR Title Page Inscription" (bottom)
              or the "Brogan Tengwa Greetings" (the middle one, wedged between a cirth
              and a full mode one) are mostly orthographic, I'd say, though they do
              feature under-dots for silent "e", which to me looks like a phonetic
              spelling (otherwise, you could just use the accent [E-tehta], if
              necessary on a short carrier).

              Well, actually, you might want to check out Mach's paper on a phonetic
              English tehtar mode (which you can find at this site:
              http://www.geocities.com/tengwar2001/). Therein he mentions as examples
              for phonetic tehtar modes: DTS 39 (AI [184]), DTS 41 (AI [186]), and DTS
              58 (Howlett Rivendell Inscriptions). Not much to go on, really, but he
              proposes to consult other tehtar modes to come up with "solutions" for
              sounds not represented in these samples. Anyway, you might want to have
              a look at it.

              About your fourth suggestion (phonetic full mode, according to DTS 24,
              Emergence of Treebeard), I think the "o" in hope should be represented
              with a vilya plus the modified U-curl (or "reversed tilde") for
              following "u/w", not by anna plus following "u/w" sign. It's the pretty
              much same sound as occurs twice in _Frodo_, for example, and in the
              Treebeard page that's written as I just described, with vilya +
              following "u/w" sign on top.]

              Hísilómë

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Dave <david.vdpeet@m...> wrote:
                > About your fourth suggestion (phonetic full mode, according to DTS
                24,
                > Emergence of Treebeard), I think the "o" in hope should be
                represented
                > with a vilya plus the modified U-curl (or "reversed tilde") for
                > following "u/w", not by anna plus following "u/w" sign. It's the
                pretty
                > much same sound as occurs twice in _Frodo_, for example, and in the
                > Treebeard page that's written as I just described, with vilya +
                > following "u/w" sign on top.]

                Correct, thanks, here's the reversed file:

              • j_mach_wust
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2004

                  > 2. pronunciation tehtar mode (DTS 13)

                  The modified u-curl isn't used for a vowel tehta in any mode I know
                  of. The normal o-tehtar would fit better. And even though both
                  varieties are attested, I'd prefer the tengwar-tehtar order where the
                  tehtar are placed on the following tengwar. That means, I'd take a
                  vala, not an úre: 9yYq