Re: about "i" + Was DTS 8 written by JRRT?

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
      'Hísilómë' Dave wrote:

      > j_mach_wust wrote:
      >
      >> 'Hísilómë' Dave wrote:
      >>
      >>> In "A Elbereth", the only "i" spelled with a long
      >>> carrier seems to be the word-initial one in _Imladris_
      >>> (Aerlinn in Edhil o Imladris).
      >>
      >> I disagree. This letter is different from all other long
      >> carriers and looks rather like a capitalized short
      >> carrier.
      >
      > Well, as I said, it _is_ hard to be sure! Are there many
      > incidences of a "capitalized short carrier"? Come to think
      > of it, long carriers usually seem to be extended
      > _downwards_, not upwards, so this would certainly give
      > weight to your argument :).

      We also find many "capitalizations" in other Tolkien's tengwar texts.
      There's another sample of a "capitalized" short carrier in DTS 18
      (third verse, third line) (the same sample shows even a "capitalized"
      long carrier: fifth verse, first word).

      >>> In the Doors of Durin inscription (as published in
      >>> Fellowship), I'm not sure whether for example the "i" in
      >>> _minno_ is to be considered a long or a short carrier?
      >>> What does it look like to you? Anyway, in this sample,
      >>> again, the only clear-cut occurence of a long carrier
      >>> seems to me to be the "i" in _Im (Narvi)_, word-initial
      >>> again.
      >>
      >> I'd say it the other way round: The only clear-cut
      >> occurences of short carriers are in the words _Durin_ and
      >> _Moria_.
      >
      > Don't know, this really seems to be a matter of
      > interpretation. I'm looking at the second hardcover
      > edition by George Allen & Unwin, p.319, and to me the "i"
      > in, say, _Celebrimbor_ or _Eregion_ also look kind of
      > short to me, especially when compared with the "i"
      > occurrences in _i thiw hin_. To close to call I guess :).
      > In some earlier drafts that are reproduced in AI, e.g. nos
      > 150 and 151, all carriers seem to be distinctly short. As
      > you said, it doesn't seem to make a big difference in this
      > mode.

      Wait a minute, isn't DTS 8 not drawn by J. R. R. Tolkien at all, but a
      copy made of DTS 32 by some graphic? I think this is told in the
      Artist & Illustrator, but I have only made a copy of page 158 and
      brought the book back to the library.

      > BTW, there are some "strange" spellings in these earlier
      > drafts, so _Moria_ seems to have a malta for "m", which is
      > obviously inconsistent with the Sindarin Mode of Beleriand
      > as we know it (malta = double "m") and was in the LotR
      > version "emended" to vala. Also, _thiw_ is spelled with an
      > initial númen in 150, and an ando with an over-bar (tilde)
      > in 151, then there is "curly" thing above the anna in
      > _Moria_, and so on. This is probably some earlier
      > conceptual stage for this mode?

      I think this isn't a reflection of a earlier conceptual stage of this
      mode, but of a earlier conceptual stage of the language (have a look
      at the bottom of DTS 29 :-). Well, there is actually one earlier
      feature in the mode, too: The andotyelle seems to be used not only for
      long nasal consonants (nn, mm), but also for the prenasalized voiced
      stops (nd, mb), see 'Celebrimbor, ndíw'.

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 3, 2004
        <>> j_mach_wust wrote:

        >> 'Hísilómë' Dave wrote:

        > Are there many
        > incidences of a "capitalized short carrier"? Come to think
        > of it, long carriers usually seem to be extended
        > _downwards_, not upwards, so this would certainly give
        > weight to your argument :).

        We also find many "capitalizations" in other Tolkien's tengwar texts.
        There's another sample of a "capitalized" short carrier in DTS 18
        (third verse, third line) (the same sample shows even a "capitalized"
        long carrier: fifth verse, first word).

        [Right, so a "capitalized" carrier would have an upwardly extended stem
        and a curl to the left at the bottom, and thus generally look a bit like
        a "J"--BTW, did you come up with the term? The "capitalization" does not
        seem to serve any special function, does it?]

        >>> In the Doors of Durin inscription (as published in
        >>> Fellowship), I'm not sure whether for example the "i" in
        >>> _minno_ is to be considered a long or a short carrier?
        >>> What does it look like to you? Anyway, in this sample,
        >>> again, the only clear-cut occurence of a long carrier
        >>> seems to me to be the "i" in _Im (Narvi)_, word-initial
        >>> again.
        >>
        >> I'd say it the other way round: The only clear-cut
        >> occurences of short carriers are in the words _Durin_ and
        >> _Moria_.
        >
        > Don't know, this really seems to be a matter of
        > interpretation. I'm looking at the second hardcover
        > edition by George Allen & Unwin, p.319, and to me the "i"
        > in, say, _Celebrimbor_ or _Eregion_ also look kind of
        > short to me, especially when compared with the "i"
        > occurrences in _i thiw hin_. To close to call I guess :).
        > In some earlier drafts that are reproduced in AI, e.g. nos
        > 150 and 151, all carriers seem to be distinctly short. As
        > you said, it doesn't seem to make a big difference in this
        > mode.

        Wait a minute, isn't DTS 8 not drawn by J. R. R. Tolkien at all, but a
        copy made of DTS 32 by some graphic? I think this is told in the
        Artist & Illustrator, but I have only made a copy of page 158 and
        brought the book back to the library.

        [You are, as usual, right :). On page 161 of my edition of AI, it says
        that "The picture of the Doors of Durin [154] reproduced in "The Lord of
        the Rings" was made by a blockmaker's copyist after Tolkien's final
        design [153]." I have to say, though, that in [153], as opposed to
        [154], I feel that _all_ the carriers clearly look short, and it would
        thus seem that the "ambiguity" in this sample was only introduced by the
        copyist, who in all likelihood was not aware of the subtleties of
        Tolkien's script.]

        > BTW, there are some "strange" spellings in these earlier
        > drafts (...) This is probably some earlier
        > conceptual stage for this mode?

        I think this isn't a reflection of a earlier conceptual stage of this
        mode, but of a earlier conceptual stage of the language (have a look
        at the bottom of DTS 29 :-).

        [Yes, about that: I've never been able to clearly decipher Tolkien's
        writing here, specifically what follows after the opening "This is...".
        Can you read it? "This is an (?) use of the elvish character (?)
        spelling" (or maybe it's "This is a-something-use, the "n" belonging to
        the word following the article "a"). At first I thought maybe
        "erroneous" use, but the letters really to me look more like a-r-e-h(or
        l-i?)-a (?)(?), and that obviously doesn't make much sense. Maybe
        "earlier use"? But where we should see "e", I only see "a", and it
        generally doesn't seem to fit. Guess I'm a lousy reader of Tolkien's
        handwriting. Any ideas? BTW, I only thought it might be an "earlier
        stage of this _mode_" because "spelling" is being mentioned...]

        Well, there is actually one earlier
        feature in the mode, too: The andotyelle seems to be used not only for
        long nasal consonants (nn, mm), but also for the prenasalized voiced
        stops (nd, mb), see 'Celebrimbor, ndíw'.

        [Right, the latter use for nasalized voiced stops would correspond to
        the use in the Classical Quenya Mode. I'd say it's an earlier stage in
        both the language and the spelling :)--though the two are, of course,
        not _necessarily_ closely connected.]

        Hísilómë

      • Fradeve Virgilio
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 30, 2004
          >--- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fradeve virgilio" <fradeve11@v...>
          >wrote:
          >> _Aa' I elin thilio ui erin le, ar I sul dregi im fin llie brannon
          >en ely_
          >>
          >> Is it completely correct?

          >This is Grelvish and this ridiculous word grist doesn't deserve to be
          >expressed by any of prof. Tolkien's writing systems. Apart from
          >calling it Sindarin.
          >
          >Lucy

          Hi to all,

          Replying to Calwen76:
          The “Grelvish” text that I’m translating in tengwar is not a my creation.
          I’m only
          doing a favour to my girlfriend, that needs help with the tengwar
          transcription.
          I’ve studied Quenya, not Sindarin, so I don’t know exactly in which way the
          phrase

          _Aa' I elin thilio ui erin le, ar I sul dregi im fin llie brannon en ely_

          must be representative of Grelvish or other depreciable languages.

          So, starting from my personal point of view, I will more appreciate someone
          who
          will underlines where and what are the errors, than a simply and corrosive
          verdict.
          Probably my girlfriend will think right there.

          So, now we can discuss about the tengwar side of the phrase: I think that an
          elvish word of
          thank is better than one simply: _Hantanyel!_ to Dave for his comment.
          Answering to his questions:

          - yes, I’ve forgotten an _i_ in _llie_!
          - And, it can seems stupid, the mark on the yanta that looks like an
          o-curl is only a
          decoration to hide a tragic error, a stain of ink! Really, this work is only
          a scratch,
          so I’ve thought that this particular mark can be interpreted simply like a
          decoration (also
          because who really knows the Beleriand Full Mode knows that this mark can’t
          be used. So,
          it must be intended like this: each sign that isn’t used in the Beleriand
          Mode but appears
          in the scratch must be interpreted like a decoration mark! But, I repeat,
          this mark is the
          consequence of an error! In the definitive version I will take care to
          cancel this kind of
          mistakes!).
          - last but not least, the óre in _en_ is my personal calligraphic
          style.

          The question of the _i_ looks more complicated. Like I’ve said, I don’t know
          Sindarin, so the
          question of peculiar accentuation of the word is a problem for me. I will
          draw long or short
          carriers everywhere you will indicated me.
          So, on this topic, I ask you to be more clear!

          Thanks and regards,

          Fradeve virgilio

          Á carë tittë nati alta melmenen

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 30, 2004
            >--- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fradeve virgilio" <fradeve11@v...> wrote:

            >The question of the _i_ looks more complicated. Like I've said, I don't know Sindarin, so the question of peculiar >accentuation of the word is a problem for me. I will draw long or short carriers everywhere you will indicated me.
            >So, on this topic, I ask you to be more clear!

            [Well, for a discussion of this, you may want to read Elfscript messages 4345-4349 and 4353.

            If you want a straightforward recommendation though, I'd repeat what I wrote in message 4336, i.e. simply use short carriers for all occurrences of _i_.

            My _rationale_ for suggesting this would be a bit different now: it seems that in this mode (Mode of Beleriand) long vs. short carriers do not indicate any distinct sounds, so there is no need to distinguish between them in writing (they all stand for short _i_). Long _i_ (which incidentally does not occur in your calligraphy) can be indicated by an andaith (acute accent) on top (as with the other vowels), _not_ with the help of long vs. short carrier.

            (The dot that is occasionally seen on the I-tengwar (i.e. the long or short carrier) in this mode does not carry any special phonetic significance, either. Rather, it just seems to "emphasize" the I-tengwar visually.)

            The upshot is that it's really up to you: you can use only short or only long carriers, with or without dots, or even mix them as you like (I personally would prefer consistent usage).

            So, in other words, once you've corrected the spelling of _im_, _llie_ and maybe _en_ (see message 4335), the spelling will be fine.]

            Hísilómë

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2004
              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Fradeve Virgilio" <fradeve11@v...>
              Replying to Calwen76:
              > The "Grelvish" text that I'm translating in tengwar is not a my
              creation. I'm only doing a favour to my girlfriend, that needs help
              with the tengwar transcription. I've studied Quenya, not Sindarin, so
              I don't know exactly in which way the phrase

              _Aa' I elin thilio ui erin le, ar I sul dregi im fin llie brannon en
              ely_

              must be representative of Grelvish or other depreciable languages.
              So, starting from my personal point of view, I will more appreciate
              someone who will underlines where and what are the errors, than a
              simply and corrosive verdict. Probably my girlfriend will think right
              there.

              ------------

              Hm, so if it's not your creation how can you say it is a "Sindarin"
              text?
              My comments:
              1) this group concerns the scripts, not the languages (it's better to
              go to the Elfling group to look for help)
              2) to be more specific, as you wished me to be, in Sindarin, e.g. the
              _Aa'_ cluster is not possible, as well as the initial cluster _ll_ in
              _llie_ : this language is called Grelvish and thus I can't help you
              with the translation since I don't know Grelvish as well as I think
              none here (and either on Elfling group) is willing to help you with
              correcting such text. You missed my point though. :-/

              To Dave: I don't understand you, Dave, why are you doing this? :-(

              Lucy
            • Fradeve Virgilio
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 5, 2004
                In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "fradeve virgilio" <fradeve11@v...> wrote:

                >>The question of the _i_ looks more complicated. Like I've said, I don't
                know Sindarin, so the question of peculiar >>accentuation of the word is a
                problem for me. I will draw long or short carriers everywhere you will
                indicated me.
                >>So, on this topic, I ask you to be more clear!

                > [Well, for a discussion of this, you may want to read Elfscript messages
                4345-4349 and 4353.

                > If you want a straightforward recommendation though, I'd repeat what I
                wrote in message 4336, i.e. simply use short >carriers for all occurrences
                of _i_.

                > My _rationale_ for suggesting this would be a bit different now: it seems
                that in this mode (Mode of Beleriand) long >vs. short carriers do not
                indicate any distinct sounds, so there is no need to distinguish between
                them in writing (they >all stand for short _i_). Long _i_ (which
                incidentally does not occur in your calligraphy) can be indicated by an
                andaith >(acute accent) on top (as with the other vowels), _not_ with the
                help of long vs. short carrier.

                >(The dot that is occasionally seen on the I-tengwar (i.e. the long or
                short carrier) in this mode does not carry any >special phonetic
                significance, either. Rather, it just seems to "emphasize" the I-tengwar
                visually.)

                > The upshot is that it's really up to you: you can use only short or only
                long carriers, with or without dots, or even >mix them as you like (I
                personally would prefer consistent usage).

                > So, in other words, once you've corrected the spelling of _im_, _llie_
                and maybe _en_ (see message 4335), the spelling >will be fine.]

                > Hísilómë

                Excellent!

                Now I’m completely satisfacted…
                You’ve been too exaurient explaining the point of situation (on the contrary
                of other people on this ML…): little pills of Sindarin!
                Much thanks, I’m going to prepare the scratch for a difinitive version!

                Fradeve Virgilio

              • Fradeve Virgilio
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 12, 2004
                  >--- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "Fradeve Virgilio" <fradeve11@v...>
                  >Replying to Calwen76:
                  >> The "Grelvish" text that I'm translating in tengwar is not a my
                  >>creation. I'm only doing a favour to my girlfriend, that needs help
                  >>with the tengwar transcription. I've studied Quenya, not Sindarin, so
                  >>I don't know exactly in which way the phrase
                  >>
                  >>_Aa' I elin thilio ui erin le, ar I sul dregi im fin llie brannon en
                  >>ely_
                  >>
                  >>must be representative of Grelvish or other depreciable languages.
                  >>So, starting from my personal point of view, I will more appreciate
                  >>someone who will underlines where and what are the errors, than a
                  >>simply and corrosive verdict. Probably my girlfriend will think right
                  >>there.
                  >
                  >------------
                  >
                  >Hm, so if it's not your creation how can you say it is a "Sindarin"
                  >text?
                  >My comments:
                  >1) this group concerns the scripts, not the languages (it's better to
                  >go to the Elfling group to look for help)
                  >2) to be more specific, as you wished me to be, in Sindarin, e.g. the
                  >_Aa'_ cluster is not possible, as well as the initial cluster _ll_ in
                  >_llie_ : this language is called Grelvish and thus I can't help you
                  >with the translation since I don't know Grelvish as well as I think
                  >none here (and either on Elfling group) is willing to help you with
                  >correcting such text. You missed my point though. :-/
                  >
                  >To Dave: I don't understand you, Dave, why are you doing this? :-(
                  >
                  >Lucy

                  Answering to Calwen76:

                  Now, I've very appreciated your explaining. I think it's better than your
                  behaviour before this last post.
                  I've said that it was a "Sindarin" text only because I supposed that my
                  girlfriend had a little knowledge
                  on this linguistic topic (but, however, now I'm thinking I'm wrong.).
                  Was not my intention to start a linguistic dibate on this ML in wich it's
                  quite OT, but I've started considering
                  the tengwar side of the phrase, so anything was put out during this
                  discussion was not my fault.
                  I'll sent your response to the author of the phrase.
                  I'm working on a correct version. so,

                  Regards,

                  Fradeve