Hey guys, new to elfscript here!

  • Bubiboo
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
      Hey guys, I am new to the group and just wanted to say hi!

      If you would like to check out a pic of me I took yesterday, or talk to me check my profile our over here: http://www.datebywebcam.com/profiles_bubiboo.php.

      Thanks guys, I look forward to getting to know you all!

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2004
        "Bubiboo" wrote:

        > Hey guys, I am new to the group and just wanted to say hi!
        > If you would like to check out a pic of me I took yesterday, or talk to
        me check my profile our over here:
        http://www.datebywebcam.com/profiles_bubiboo.php.

        Well, "Bubiboo", curiously you are just one of quite a few women with more
        or less ridiculous names that have recently declared themselves as new
        Elfscript subscribers. Their letters have two things in common: they always
        include the URL to a webcam or a site with pictures so that we can have a
        "closer look" on our new fellow subscriber, and they NEVER make even the
        slightest reference to the subject matter of this list. Nor do I recall any
        of these women ever making any follow-up posts where they actually discuss
        on-topic matters (or even off-topic matters).

        Another example, by "Lynn":

        > Hi everyone, just though I would introduce myself. I'm looking forward to
        the discussions here.
        > Oh yeah, my pics are at: http://www.geocities.com/a_sweet_bi_girl18/

        "Oh yeah", just a random thought that occurred to you as you were signing
        off, Lynn? Gotta slip in that URL so that we can get to see what a "sweet
        bi girl" looks like? And you haven't yet contributed to any of the
        discussions you so looked forward to, have you? Could you tell a Tengwa
        from a Tehta if your life depended on it? Do you, indeed, exist at all, or
        are you just an empty name attached to a collection of pictures of some
        girl who is better thought of as being anonymous?

        Obviously this is clumsily camouflaged spam, mere standard letters,
        sometimes with the word "Elfscript" automatically inserted at the
        appropriate places. "Tanya Tchaikovsky", after providing the inevitable URL
        to her webcam, assures us that "elfscript group is favorite!" Great. But
        she also provides a slim profile of "herself", and curiously she says
        absolutely nothing about Tolkien, Elvish or Tengwar when listing her
        interests. And when the URL to her webcam includes the word "tantrasweet",
        it is not difficult to guess what kind of material we'll get to see if we
        go there.

        I don't even bother to run the searches that would confirm the obvious:
        that these letters have been sent to many other mailing lists as well. The
        real purpose is to call attention to pornographic sites, nothing else.

        So now we are getting spam intended for entire lists, not individual
        recipients -- and the spammers even insult our intelligence by trying to
        make us believe that these are just casual messages from regular
        subscribers. Sigh...I don't suppose there is much that can be done about
        it? Well, at least we can recognize it for what it is.

        - HKF
      • Nath Kuijpers
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2004
          Saturday, November 6, 2004, 11:57:57 PM, Helge K. Fauskanger wrote:

          HKF> So now we are getting spam intended for entire lists, not individual recipients -- and the spammers even insult our intelligence by trying to make us believe that these are just casual messages from regular subscribers. Sigh...I don't suppose there is much that can be done about it? Well, at least we can recognize it for what it is.

          The only way to stop this kind of thing is to install a minimum amount of moderation: all new arrivals have their first message screened, and if they're on the level (i.e. the message is at least obliquely related to Tolkien, languages, etc.) they're then so to say 'released' into the community. Spammers usually post once and unsubscribe, so I suspect this should be enough to get rid of them.

          I'm not sure whether the group would want even this low level of policing and/or how many people would be willing to invest some of their time. So this is just a suggestion of how the problem could be solved, if enough people consider it a problem, rather than an annoyance.

          --
          Nath Kuijpers
        • Ingolemo
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 7, 2004
            I don't know if any of you noticed, but Bubiboo, Tanya, and Lynn all
            use the same email address.
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2004
              Ingolemo wrote:

              > I don't know if any of you noticed, but Bubiboo, Tanya, and Lynn all
              > use the same email address.

              Yes, I was thinking you could probably play with the settings of your
              account to filter out these unwelcome mails. Or, if you think that's too
              much hassle (like me), you'll just have to hit the delete key a few
              times...pretty much the same thing as with all other junkmail/spam. I
              don't think "moderation" is called for (unless the amount of spam should
              suddenly explode, Eru forbid)... :).

              Hísilómë