Re: [elfscript] Re: Plain Letters ("orthographic") Mode of King's Letter

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1 6:50 PM
      j_mach_wust wrote:<>

      I prefer the r-representation with óre alone (and consequently the
      w-representation with rómen) as in DTS 10 and 13.

      [Yes, that certainly simplifies matters.]

      Danny Andriës wrote (in message #651):
      > > > ou, ow = anna + following w sign

      hisilome commented:
      > Why not mark "oo" and "ou/ow" with an asterisk? While the assigned
      > tengwa/tehta combinations certainly seem logical, I cannot find
      > these two spellings attested anywhere in the three versions of the
      > King's Letter (English part).

      Maybe he's confused it with DTS 10 and 13 where we have many instances
      of both sounds? I believe there's no problem about using certain
      spellings from DTS 10/13 as evidence for the spelling of the King's
      Letters and vice versa, since they're basically the same.

      <>[I have no problem with doing so either. But Danny Andriës said his
      suggestions were based solely on the King's Letter, that's why I was
      confused.]
      <>
      > Notice also that once (third copy) the "re" in "Shire" is spelt with
      > óre - yanta (but that is probably just a "slip-up").

      I'd agree it's a slip-up.

      [BTW, still waiting for somebody's comments on the "R-rule" (if any) in
      the Full Mode of Gondor (message 4304):-). Really no pattern at all?]

      Hisilome