Re: Plain Letters ("orthographic") Mode of King's Letter

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2004
      hisilome wrote:
      > While I agree that this is by and large the best (mostly)
      > orthographic English full mode there is,

      I prefer the r-representation with óre alone (and consequently the
      w-representation with rómen) as in DTS 10 and 13.

      Danny Andriës wrote (in message #651):
      > > > ou, ow = anna + following w sign

      hisilome commented:
      > Why not mark "oo" and "ou/ow" with an asterisk? While the assigned
      > tengwa/tehta combinations certainly seem logical, I cannot find
      > these two spellings attested anywhere in the three versions of the
      > King's Letter (English part).

      Maybe he's confused it with DTS 10 and 13 where we have many instances
      of both sounds? I believe there's no problem about using certain
      spellings from DTS 10/13 as evidence for the spelling of the King's
      Letters and vice versa, since they're basically the same.

      > > The choice between 'rómen' and 'óre' follows the usual rules (i.
      > > e. 'óre' before consonants, before silent 'e' and at the end of a
      > > word;
      >
      > Not necessarily, it seems. Sometimes rómen is used before a silent
      > "e", as consistently seen in the phrase "Mayor of the SHIRE".
      > Furthermore, word-final "r" is _usually_ also spelt with rómen if
      > the next word begins with a vowel (i.e. pronounced "r" is as a rule
      > spelled with rómen, even at the end of words).

      That's true.

      > Notice also that once (third copy) the "re" in "Shire" is spelt with
      > óre - yanta (but that is probably just a "slip-up").

      I'd agree it's a slip-up.

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2004
        j_mach_wust wrote:<>

        I prefer the r-representation with óre alone (and consequently the
        w-representation with rómen) as in DTS 10 and 13.

        [Yes, that certainly simplifies matters.]

        Danny Andriës wrote (in message #651):
        > > > ou, ow = anna + following w sign

        hisilome commented:
        > Why not mark "oo" and "ou/ow" with an asterisk? While the assigned
        > tengwa/tehta combinations certainly seem logical, I cannot find
        > these two spellings attested anywhere in the three versions of the
        > King's Letter (English part).

        Maybe he's confused it with DTS 10 and 13 where we have many instances
        of both sounds? I believe there's no problem about using certain
        spellings from DTS 10/13 as evidence for the spelling of the King's
        Letters and vice versa, since they're basically the same.

        <>[I have no problem with doing so either. But Danny Andriës said his
        suggestions were based solely on the King's Letter, that's why I was
        confused.]
        <>
        > Notice also that once (third copy) the "re" in "Shire" is spelt with
        > óre - yanta (but that is probably just a "slip-up").

        I'd agree it's a slip-up.

        [BTW, still waiting for somebody's comments on the "R-rule" (if any) in
        the Full Mode of Gondor (message 4304):-). Really no pattern at all?]

        Hisilome