Re: Help with some words...

  • hisilome
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2004
      --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, DDanielA@w... wrote:
      > Teithant machhezan:
      > > Danny teithant:

      > It is unpublished, but I was shown the autograph by Michael
      Endorion> himself. He said that when he asked Tolkien to sign his
      book, JRRT remarked, "Did you know that your surname means 'son of
      Middle-Earth in Elvish?"

      Did he really? I'm just curious why "Son of Middle-earth" would have
      genitive plural instead of singular (*Endoro/*Endoreo), or is
      Middle-earth somehow to be considered a plural noun?
      Any rationalization?

      Hisilome
    • Arden R. Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2004
        On Oct 31, 2004, at 8:40 PM, hisilome wrote:

        > Did he really? I'm just curious why "Son of Middle-earth" would have
        > genitive plural instead of singular (*Endoro/*Endoreo), or is
        > Middle-earth somehow to be considered a plural noun?
        > Any rationalization?

        This _-ion_ is not the genitive plural suffix. It's the patronymic
        suffix, derived from YÔ, YON- 'son' in the Etymologies.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
          Arden R. Smith wrote:

          > On Oct 31, 2004, at 8:40 PM, hisilome wrote:
          >
          > > Did he really? I'm just curious why "Son of Middle-earth" would have
          > > genitive plural instead of singular (*Endoro/*Endoreo), or is
          > > Middle-earth somehow to be considered a plural noun?
          > > Any rationalization?
          >
          > This _-ion_ is not the genitive plural suffix. It's the patronymic
          > suffix, derived from YÔ, YON- 'son' in the Etymologies.

          Thanks, that also explains the "son" in the phrase...

          Hisilome