Re: My poem is now completely transcribed

  • j_mach_wust
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2004
      Gregson Vaux wrote:

      > What I think Chris McKay has done is to attempt to make this
      > tutorial and to be as true to JRRT as possible while still having
      > something workable. I very much believe that we need a uniform
      > English mode and as far as I know, Chris McKay's is the only one out
      > there.

      No it isn't. There's e.g. the so-called 'original mode' (also by Chris
      in the very same Tengwar Textbook). Or there's a very short yet still
      complete description of a Tolkienian full mode by Danny Andriƫs:

      I've tried to make a similar description of a Tolkienian tehtar mode
      (but I'd recommend you also have a look at the following discussion):

      If you only want to know the differences between your use of Chris
      McKay's "Common Mode" and Tolkien's use, then I'd suggest you reread
      the messages #4265 and #4278 not as an endless back reference to
      inconsistent fragments, but as precise information on how the spelling
      should be according to Tolkien's example (because that was what I
      intended them to be).

      > I guess I wasn't very clear. I very much believe in correctness but
      > in the case of an English mode, what is correct? I am making the
      > case that the Tengwar textbook is correct and I especially respect
      > that it is a tutorial that helps the new learner. I see all of these
      > arguments about what is correct but it seems that Tolkien did not
      > leave a large enough body of consistent writing to properly judge
      > what is correct.

      The body is very narrow (only about half a dozen of samples). However,
      it's large and consistent enough to build a useful mode on it. Only
      very few guesses remain to be made (notably a consistent
      representation of _ee_ and _oo_). There's no need at all to rely on
      secondary samples not made by J. R. R. Tolkien himself.