Re: Tengwar Numerals in

  • hisilome
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2004
      > I don't know if Tolkien changed his mind or if it's another numeric
      > mode, but they sure do look different. I have a preliminary
      analysis
      > on http://www.daeron.forodrim.org/kl-num.html
      >
      > Does anyone have a convincing guess at what zero might look like?
      >
      > Suilaid o Melloanth Daeron,
      > Gildir, Per Lindberg

      Thanks, I've perused your page with great interest! I guess we have to
      assume that Tolkien devised at least two different sets of Tengwar
      numerals (either one was meant to succeed the other, or they were/are
      both valid).
      As for the zero: what could one base a guess on? I like your
      conjectures for the numerals 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, by the way. Maybe one day
      some manuscript by Tolkien will surface/be published that confirms at
      least some of your guesses :).

      Hisilome

      [original post:
      > > I have a question about the Tengwar numerals as published in the
      third copy of the "King's Letter" (Sauron Defeated, p. 131).
      [...]
      > > My problem is that I simply cannot decipher those numbers from the
      actual Tengwar written by J. R. R. Tolkien, at least not when I
      compare them with the charts of Tengwar numerals that have been
      published in various places on the Internet. [...]