Re: [elfscript] Can anyone translate my first name???

  • Andre Khalip
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
      Wow, see the fellowship of elfish linguists has
      got a lot of work now that the film is out...
      With all that name debate, I started to wonder
      whether Andrei can be translated into something nice,
      rather than Veaner which I don't like too much.
      Apparently, the name means "manly", "man" and so on.
      Veanor would be better, but nor is country, right? Any
      help most welcome...
      Best regards
      Quingwar (Thanks, Gildor)

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002

        teithant Andre Khalip

        >    With all that name debate, I started to wonder

        whether Andrei can be translated into something nice,
        rather than Veaner which I don't like too much.
        Apparently, the name means "manly", "man" and so on.
        Veanor would be better, but nor is country, right? Any
        help most welcome..

        * How about Veon?

      • mysticmurray
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
          * look at http://fly.to/elm.. if your name is not there, "man of
          the sea" would best translate as "Earon"

          * What about Lord of the sea? - although Earon sounds really good.

          so that must mean that "ciryaquen" must mean "man of the boat" then?
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002

            teithant mysticmurray

            > What about Lord of the sea? - although Earon sounds really good.

            * Eartur or Eartar...

            > so that must mean that "ciryaquen" must mean "man of the boat" then?

            * yes.. sailor

          • mysticmurray
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
              Thanks for that

              So my name (Murray James) in Quenya is either Earon Encaitaro
              or Eartur Encaitaro

              Which do you reckon I should choose? I am tempted to go for Eartur
              and drop the o off Encaitar...