Re: [elfscript] Re: DTS and spelling of "winter" [was: Hi, new member]

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2004
      Hi,

      DTS refers to the "Mellonath Daeron Index of Tengwar Specimina" which can be found on the Mellonath Daeron Website if I remember correctly. The numerals are simpply serial numbers. For example, DTS 8 (The Doors of Durin) would refer to the inscription on the Gates of Moria.

      How many English modes: depends on your definition, I guess. One could go as far as to say that there are almost as many English modes as there are specimen of Tolkien writing English with Tengwar :). Major examples of "English" Tengwar writings by J.R.R. Tolkien himself include the three copies of the "King's Letter" (copy 1 and 3 published in "Sauron Defeated", copy 2 in "Tolkien as an Artist and Illustrator"), the second leaf from the Book of Mazarbul (as published in "Pictures by J.R.R. Tolkien") and lines 3994-4027 from the Lay of Leithian ("So Luthien..") as published in the "Lays of Beleriand"). There are many others (such as Tengwar versions of the beginning of the poems "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" (in two different calligraphic styles) and "Errantry" (also in "Pictures"). As you said, to have a look at these copies of the original, you would have to go and buy the books... and there are more samples out there than I listed, quite a few of them not even published in book form.

      You are also right that there isn't one "standard" English mode with simple rules to cover "everything." For many details, you may have to make a decision about spelling or style based on your preferences.

      As for your question about how to spell the "NT" in winter: yes, you are right, the usual way to indicate a preceding nasal in an English mode (as in the Sindarin Tehta Mode or Mode of Gondor) is to place a bar (or a tilde, if you think that looks nicer) above the consonant in question. (Placed over t, d, th, dh[soft th] or n, the bar/tilde generall indicates a preceding "N", above p, b, f, v or m, a preceding "M" is implied. See also Appendix E (Writing and Spelling) of "The Lord of the Rings".

      Hope this helps a bit,

      Hisilome