Re: [elfscript] Can anyone translate my first name???

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002

      teithant mysticmurray

      > I only just started studying Quenya, I was just wondering, if my
      first name Murray means, "lives by the sea", "man of the sea"
      or "lord of the sea", how would they by Translated in Quenya?

      I know "man of the sea" should be "sailor" which is "ciryaquen

      * look at http://fly.to/elm.. if your name is not there, "man of  the sea" would best translate as "Earon"

    • Andre Khalip
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
        Wow, see the fellowship of elfish linguists has
        got a lot of work now that the film is out...
        With all that name debate, I started to wonder
        whether Andrei can be translated into something nice,
        rather than Veaner which I don't like too much.
        Apparently, the name means "manly", "man" and so on.
        Veanor would be better, but nor is country, right? Any
        help most welcome...
        Best regards

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • Andre Khalip
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
          Wow, see the fellowship of elfish linguists has
          got a lot of work now that the film is out...
          With all that name debate, I started to wonder
          whether Andrei can be translated into something nice,
          rather than Veaner which I don't like too much.
          Apparently, the name means "manly", "man" and so on.
          Veanor would be better, but nor is country, right? Any
          help most welcome...
          Best regards
          Quingwar (Thanks, Gildor)

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002

            teithant Andre Khalip

            >    With all that name debate, I started to wonder

            whether Andrei can be translated into something nice,
            rather than Veaner which I don't like too much.
            Apparently, the name means "manly", "man" and so on.
            Veanor would be better, but nor is country, right? Any
            help most welcome..

            * How about Veon?

          • mysticmurray
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
              * look at http://fly.to/elm.. if your name is not there, "man of
              the sea" would best translate as "Earon"

              * What about Lord of the sea? - although Earon sounds really good.

              so that must mean that "ciryaquen" must mean "man of the boat" then?
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002

                teithant mysticmurray

                > What about Lord of the sea? - although Earon sounds really good.

                * Eartur or Eartar...

                > so that must mean that "ciryaquen" must mean "man of the boat" then?

                * yes.. sailor

              • mysticmurray
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
                  Thanks for that

                  So my name (Murray James) in Quenya is either Earon Encaitaro
                  or Eartur Encaitaro

                  Which do you reckon I should choose? I am tempted to go for Eartur
                  and drop the o off Encaitar...